Deadly Snake Outside My Door. Who To Call In Pattaya?

media

2 Nights ago at 1am we had a Malayan Pit viper right outside our door, I got it to move next to the garden wall, then I went to bed, now I cant stop thinking about where it has gone!

And of course I wish I had caught it or moved it away from my house but I had been drinking and tackling a deadly snake whilst drunk would have been very foolish.

Does anyone know a phone number that one can call in snake emergencies? Pattaya needs a snake hotline, these snakes are very common in this region.

Maybe there is a Ferang snake expert living in Pattaya that can help people like me?

We've had 5 encounters with these snakes, the first few I caught them and relocated them without realizing exactly what I was dealing with But now I have learned all about Malayan Pit vipers I am now way too scared to catch them or do anything with them. I like snakes and am totally against killing them. This one had recently shed its skin it was in stunning condition.

The Thai name for the Malayan Pit Viper is "Gnoo Ga Bat" they grow up to 1m in length, most of the ones I have seen were about 60-70cm

A few years ago one killed my cat, we found the snake a few days later in the garden I caught it and relocated it.

I have since learned that if a dog gets bitten the vets in Pattaya (Mung Ek Animal hospital Sukhomvit road) have anti venom for animals its possible to save the animal.

If a cat gets bit it will be game over within 2-3 minutes as was the case with my cat.

post-36578-0-40423200-1353750562_thumb.j

• Like 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My missus had an encounter with a brown snake here in Sydney last week, best thing I've been told is to stamp your feet and make some noise. Snakes don't like confrontation especially with humans but they have to hunt to survive. Funny thing was I was outside at nighttime and the bloke next door was watering his plants with his pyjamas on, I told him about the snake and he nearly shit himself. Turns out he abhors snakes and has a phobia about them, haven't seen him since.

One of the problems with the Malaysian Pit Viper is that the adolescents 50-60 cm can actually be offensive rather than slithering away at the sound of humans. The two I have had in my garden I have got the local motorbike taxi drivers to deal with, I believe the Sawang Borriboon (SP) will also deal with snakes.

I recommend the op consider what is more important: his (or family's) life or the snakes?

i had to buy one of those mini pitchforks (6-8 spikes, about twice the kength of your fingers) for 50-80 baht at those markets that sell outside tools. then maybe at the same place attach a long bamboo stick; maybe 2-2.5 meters or so. keep it handy until the next spotting.

I'm all for preservation of wildlife, but i do like breathing also. If you find a snake collector or catcher that's available on short notice, great. If not, man up.

"The second best time to plant a tree is today" sent from TV android app (Galaxy Cooper).

Cant help with a phone number for you but I do know they are territorial and will come back if they can.

We had one last week, we put it outside the wall and two hours later it had come back.

We mostly have Black Monocled Cobras visit so this guy was a new one for us, one of those came back three times.

We have all the nets, snake hooks and snake loops to deal with these guys but would not recommend trying it yourself unless you are sure of what you are doing.

Was at the hospital down the road last week and asked about anti snake venom, rather strange as the only one in their fridge was for Kraits. w00t.gif

I once had the same problem with the same snake and opened a thread on this very forum and provided the telephone number of a local Pattaya snake catcher.

Unfortunately the thread seems to have been deleted and do not remember the number.

Best bet call the Police and they will give you the number like we did.

Edited by monkfish

The pleasure of living in a tropical paradise ....in the last 4 years I've had one 3,5m king cobra .two monocled cobra. seven Malayan pit viper ,one Russel pit viper ,two green pit vipers .and lost count of the golden tree snakes ..Oh and two Pythons .Only the Pythons and the golden tree snakes might make a return visit ...the rest are history ....I do the same as all the khun Thai in my moo baan without the guilt of Buddha on my shoulders.

We the neighbors dog and car had cornered a long snake not too long ago I went to the front gate of our village and the guard on duty came and captured it and then relocated it to the other side of a wall into an empty lot ( full of grass and trees) out side out village.

The guards in our village wear military type boots so they are more protected than someone wearing sandals (like myself) or your average shoes. I don't know enough about snakes to ID then and know which are a danger and which are harmless. I tend to stay clear from all of them.

A few years back my wife was messing around in our village gathering some leaves from the trees to feed the rabbit we had and was bitten on the hand by a snake. It was quite painful and I rushed her to PBH. They didn't even try and show her pictures or anything to ID the snake. They gave her a shot of something in the emergency room and wanted to admit her to observe overnight (at an extraordinary cost I might add). We were mostly concerned if the snake was poisonous or not. They told us after a few hours of her in the emergency room that if it was poisonous then she would be showing more serious signs of a reaction other than just the pain and swelling she had. We chose not to admit her into this money pit and we went home and she recovered just fine.

I had a Malayan pit viper speeding, they seem to be quite fast, into my house through the open door when I was constructing it.It went into the guest toilet and stangled itself around the toilet exit.

We called the Orbotor, who came but couldn't catch the culprit, and they in return called Sawang Boriboon who came one man but fully equiped to catch the snake.

Since it was in the guest toilet an strangled at the backside it took quite some time for him to catch it, and he took it with him.

Then a few days ago I had a green snake with stripes in my lawn, which can have been a green viper I don't know, but that one will not tell the story to his family members .

Now I have a sign on my gate, no access for snakes and Jehova witnesses. I hope they can read.

• Like 2

They told us after a few hours of her in the emergency room that if it was poisonous then she would be showing more serious signs of a reaction other than just the pain and swelling she had. We chose not to admit her into this money pit and we went home and she recovered just fine.

With swelling most probably it was poisonous.

I've been bitten quite some times by non-poisonous snakes and had not the smallest sign of swelling.

But fortunately not all poisonous snakes have deadly poison smile.png

Bye,

Derk

Could all of you people who have snake problems please say where you live ??

I don't want to go there...................

I was going to ask the same question. Thinking of getting a house somewhere in East Pattaya but I really would like to avoid areas where the greatest concentration of these unwelcome visitors reside. (The snakes not the Board Members I mean!)

I was going to ask the same question. Thinking of getting a house somewhere in East Pattaya but I really would like to avoid areas where the greatest concentration of these unwelcome visitors reside. (The snakes not the Board Members I mean!)

I'm not aware of any "snake free" zones in Thailand anywhere. Maybe we should petition the city government to set some up around Pattaya since they are doing such a great job with the other "safety zone" campaign. whistling.gifclap2.gif

• Like 1

A friend of mine had some workers doing construction on his property. My friend discovered a number of baby Malayan pit vipers and killed several of them. He advised his workers to were shoes and none did. One of them was bitten on his big toe. He then decided that the local witch doctor could take care of it. The worker was in a lot of pain before he decided to go to the hospital. They ended up amputating his big toe.

Having had many encounters with such pit vipers at an upcountry location several decades ago believe they were attracted by light over door entry and the warmer cement walkway. Not much we can easily do about that however (although motion lights rather than always on might help).

A serious question Do all the Hospitals (not small clinics) in and around Pattaya carry a stock of all the common anti venom's ? Handy to know which is the closest in any emergency,

No a side note there was a large snake 2m to 2.5 m squashed on the Suk near Tesco frid 23/11 so there's no telling when or where they will turn up

Cobras are mostly found over the dark side.

Malayan pit vipers are everywhere in Pattaya! they curl up in a small circle with their head poking up in the middle they only attack when stepped on or provoked

In the dry season be careful of long grass in your garden that they can hide in, keep your grass short, avoid that Thai Weed like grass if you have pets or children! pit vipers like to live in this grass in the dry season. Pics attached of grass to avoid. in the wet season they live under piles of wood and rubbish they like to stay dry they hunt at night and often stray into houses and gardens and enjoy being on warm concreate, they will come inside if you have gaps under your doors. they are not scared of daylight.

*If you try to catch and bag one inside your house make sure you thoroughly block all its exits first because once you touch it with a stick or anything it will move fast to get away searching for any tiny hole to slither into

you could end up letting it get away in your house or garage into your furniture etc..

Its essential for any ferang in Pattaya to learn all about these creatures baring in mind you are probably dwelling right next to a bunch of them.

http://siam-info.com...us_animals.html

This is the best website for info on Thai Snakes, Shows the regions where the snakes are found and how poisonous they are.

post-36578-0-07734000-1353821488_thumb.j

post-36578-0-59219600-1353821537_thumb.j

• Like 1

A serious question Do all the Hospitals (not small clinics) in and around Pattaya carry a stock of all the common anti venom's ? Handy to know which is the closest in any emergency,

No a side note there was a large snake 2m to 2.5 m squashed on the Suk near Tesco frid 23/11 so there's no telling when or where they will turn up

Yes they stock the anti venoms, you must take the snake with you or get a really clear photo of it.

I am no expert but am interested in snakes, have read all the stuff online about snakes in Thailand. I certainly wouldn't want to try and catch a pit viper. They have one of the fastest strikes of any snake, literally the blink of an eye. Apparently they are mean too, unlike most snakes they do not try and get away when disturbed like most other species, people have been bitten and an hour later the snake is still in the same spot, curled up, very well camouflaged. I have seen the occasional cobra on Buddah Hill, one crossed the road once right in front of me, fascinating creatures but not to be messed with.

What has a worse bite - a Malaysian Pit Viper or a Cobra?

And how long do you have to get to anti-venom with a full, venom injecting bite from either type?

Cobra is worse you only have an hour to get treatment. Pit viper venom is less strong so you could prob last 2-3 hours without treatment.

*but i suppose it depends where on the body you got bitten

Pit vipers are small snakes cobra is the largest of the poisonous snakes in Thailand can be upto 8 foot long

Edited by media

The pleasure of living in a tropical paradise ....in the last 4 years I've had one 3,5m king cobra .two monocled cobra. seven Malayan pit viper ,one Russel pit viper ,two green pit vipers .and lost count of the golden tree snakes ..Oh and two Pythons .Only the Pythons and the golden tree snakes might make a return visit ...the rest are history ....I do the same as all the khun Thai in my moo baan without the guilt of Buddha on my shoulders.
strange that you had 2 green pit vipers in pattaya as they are not listed in this region are you sure that they were not a different green snake? The books say that Green snakes in pattaya are non poisonous.

Just reading this thread has got me paranoid. I regularly see cobras crossing the road at night when Im on my way home but fortunately Ive not seen any around my home. Last year there was a big green snake around the communial pool I never saw it but the kids were excited by it, one of the locals caught it and ate it as far as im aware.

I need to get tooled up as I wont sleep after reading this. Whats best? Im thinking a pitch fork on an extended handle.

Just reading this thread has got me paranoid. I regularly see cobras crossing the road at night when Im on my way home but fortunately Ive not seen any around my home. Last year there was a big green snake around the communial pool I never saw it but the kids were excited by it, one of the locals caught it and ate it as far as im aware.

I need to get tooled up as I wont sleep after reading this. Whats best? Im thinking a pitch fork on an extended handle.

The guys who have dealt with my snakes have preferred my Garden spade, far more chance of making contact than with a fork. They can normally cut the head off with the first chop.wai2.gif

I'd prefer the snakes :lol:

We Had several times cobras in our old house. Security took care of this. Keeping the grass short is a good advice, snakes don't like this.

The snake farm in soi noern plub wan also can help, especially with cobras.

Be VERY careful with spitting cobras, they can spit venom from 3 meters into your eyes. DON'T RUB, just use lots of water.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1