Oa Retirement Visa - Arrived In Thailand...now What?

Dear Thai Visa,

Please excuse if I am asking a newbie question that has been answered. I really did search the forums for th answer and didn't find it.

Three weeks ago I arrived in Thailand on an OA Retirement Visa. I'm currently in BKK but won't be in this large city permanently.

My question is...

Now that I've arrived, what do I need to do? My visa came with no "instructions" about establishing the 800,000 baht account, nor about reporting. Is there anything else beyond bank account and reporting to do?

I was also wondering if maybe I don't have to bring 800,000 baht here and maybe my having shown it available in the U.S. is enough (this seems like a real newbie thought)

Your help is apprecaited. Thank you so much.

DD

You've got a bit to learn.

First things first: please tell us do you have a MULTIPLE ENTRY O-A visa or just an O-A visa?

Wow that's quick. Thanks for the speedy response.

I told you I was a newbie - I have a multiple entry O-A Visa. Or at least I'm supposed to. Under "No. of Entry" it says "M"

Thanks again.

You've got a bit to learn.

First things first: please tell us do you have a MULTIPLE ENTRY O-A visa or just an O-A visa?

Wow that's quick. Thanks for the speedy response.

I told you I was a newbie - I have a multiple entry O-A Visa. Or at least I'm supposed to. Under "No. of Entry" it says "M"

Thanks again.

First thing I would do, is look for how long your permission to say is when they stamped you into the country. You only have to do a 90 day report if remaining in the country 90 day or longer. The money mentioned is for extending your permission to stay, you don't need to do that now, but can apply with about 30 days remaining within a permision to stay.

Edited by beechguy

OK, good.

You've got an interesting type of visa.

With an O-A multiple entry, you get a new annual stay upon exiting and reeentering Thailand every time as long as the original annual VISA is still valid. The moment that date is passed, that feature is gone. That is not the same date as the annual permission to stay date recently stamped in your passport.

So, you don't have to worry about applying for annual extensions of stay IN Thailand for approximately a few YEARS now, assuming you exercise the important feature of getting the free year near the END of the validity of your current annual O-A visa.

That means if your eventual intention is to use the 800K bank account method, you do NOT need to import that into Thailand for quite a while. At that time, the money must be SEASONED in the Thai bank account. For first time annual extensions, two months, for later ones three months. Anyway, don't worry about that for a while and be sure to get your free year!

You MUST report at your LOCAL Thai immigration office every time you are residing in Thailand for 90 days. To make these reports, you must provide proof of your local address. To avoid the need to report, you can exit and reenter Thailand before the 90 days are up, and then your reporting clock is reset to a new 90 days.

Edited by Jingthing

First thing I would do, is look for how long your permission to say is when they stamped you into the country. You only have to do a 90 day report if remaining in the country 90 day or longer. The money mentioned is for extending your permission to stay, you don't need to do that now, but can apply with about 30 days remaining within a permision to stay.

beechguy - I looked at the stamp when I arrived and it says, "ADMITTED: 3 NOV 2012" and "UNTIL: 2 NOV 2013". So if I'm understanding correctly because I'm allowed to stay in the country for a year, I have to report every 90 days during this year - and is it true that I only have to bring the 800K baht here before 2 OCT 2013? Am I gettting that right?

OK, good.

You've got an interesting type of visa.

With an O-A multiple entry, you get a new annual stay upon exiting and reeentering Thailand every time as long as the original annual VISA is still valid. The moment that date is passed, that feature is gone. That is not the same date as the annual permission to stay date recently stamped in your passport.

So, you don't have to worry about applying for annual extensions of stay IN Thailand for approximately a few YEARS now, assuming you exercise the important feature of getting the free year near the END of the validity of your current annual O-A visa.

That means if your eventual intention is to use the 800K bank account method, you do NOT need to import that into Thailand for quite a while. At that time, the money must be SEASONED in the Thai bank account. For first time annual extensions, two months, for later ones three months. Anyway, don't worry about that for a while and be sure to get your free year!

You MUST report at your LOCAL Thai immigration office every time you are residing in Thailand for 90 days. To make these reports, you must provide proof of your local address. To avoid the need to report, you can exit and reenter Thailand before the 90 days are up, and then your reporting clock is reset to a new 90 days.

Jingthing - You said that I have an interesting type of Visa. Is this non-standard? Am I fortunate or...? ALSO a big THANK YOU for explaining that I can turn my one year visa into a two year visa. I'd read a bit about this on this site but didn't really get it.

How do I get the second year? I get it by just leaving and coming back before the expiration date of my original visa. Is there anything special that I need to do on the re-entry? And probably not my last question is... can I exit and re-enter during this second year? (this is super cool news)

If i'm understanding you both...

1) I don't need to worry about the 800K baht until 30-60 days before the expiration of my original visa.

2)I DO need to find a local immigration office every 90 days (or leave and re-enter the country to reset that clock)

3) I get one year extension to the visa every time I leave the country, so I should do so close to the date of expiration so I can turn my one year visa into a TWO year visa!

Thank you so very much for this help! it's very helpful

Edited by dingodingo

You have a normal O-A multiple entry visa.

Not everyone retiring in Thailand bothers with an O-A visa -- it is an option which you chose without really understanding it, but nevertheless, you've got one.

No the "free year" feature is only alive during the validity of the first year's validity of the visa. After that, no, you'd need to purchase reentry permits from Thai immigration to keep the current permission to stay valid (no more free years).

When entering Thailand, you write down the visa number on your landing card. The officer should then give you a new annual permission to stay during the initial annual visa period. Be sure to check it so that if he didn't you can get it fixed right there, assuming you were eligible for it.

WARNING: If you mess up and reeenter Thailand after your original annual visa validity has passed, you will not only not get a new free year, you will get only a 30 day stamp and your original O-A visa will be dead. It happens (we read reports here.)

When later using reentry permits, you write down the permit number.

As far as your eventual need for an application for annual extension based on retirement, that should be done about 30 days before the ending date of the permission to stay date of your "free year" which you will get if you use your O-A visa wisely. That's pushing two years from now. Relax.

I kind of get your reaction. Even though the multiple times "free year" feature is limited to the initial annual visa, even that does sound too good to be true. Also be clear the permission to stay date stamped in your passport is not a visa. Your visa is your visa.

Edited by Jingthing

Not everyone retiring in Thailand bothers with an O-A visa

Do most people just get here and then figure it out from here?

When entering Thailand, you write down the visa number on your landing card. The officer should then give you a new annual permission to stay during the initial annual visa period. Be sure to check it so that if he didn't you can get it fixed right there, assuming you were eligible for it.

Good advice. I will heed it.

Relax

Love it. Thanks. Will do.

Many people retiring Thailand enter on a 30 day stamp, tourist visa, or single entry O visa.

Those on the stamp or tourist visa can do a change of visa status at Thailand immigration to an O visa and then apply for annual extensions based on retirement, never having bothered with an O-A visa because there is never a need to actually have one.

Those entering on a O visa can directly apply for the annual extensions.

Of course the financial requirements for in country annual extensions are different for those for O-A visas, as you noted the banked money for you could be outside Thailand, for annual extensions it must be in Thailand, etc.

The O-A visa also required a medical and police report, not needed for annual extensions in Thailand.

The main benefits of the O-A option include not needing to initially show funds in Thailand and the "free year" feature. You may as well take full benefit and go for the free year. Eventually, you'll be in the same system as those who never bothered with an O-A visa, assuming you are still in Thailand by then.

Another way of putting this, the O-A multiple visa is a little bit "special" during its early stages but eventually those starting on it are in the same boat as every other retired expat here. There is no elevated or different status in the long term starting with an O-A or not.

Edited by Jingthing

Sweet. Sounds like I did a very good thing by getting my ass in gear before I left the U.S. I just figured I needed to work it out before I got rid of all my stuff and got my butt over here.

Actually the medical and police were easy things. Took about 15 mins each and a total of about $100 USD (I found an easy doc). And there's a super cool agent across the street from the Los Angeles consulate that even took my application in because I was too late on the day I arrived. He also took pictures, organized and made sure all was in order. I know this is a plug for him but he was super helpful.

I so very much appreciate your (and beechguy's) knowledgeable assistance. Thank you!

Dingo, your visa is valid one year from date of issue. During this year you can leave and re-entry Thailand as many times as you wish and each time you come back your allowed time to stay is set one year forward. During this time and presuming you remain in the country longer than 90 days, two weeks before the 90 daays are up and up to one week after that date, you must go to an Immigration Office and report your stay. There you only need your passport, a form that you get there (I can never remember the numbers of the different forms). When you have a new stamp there, you are good for another 90 days. If you leave the country and return within the first year, the 90 day clock starts again when you enter the country again.

Now say your visa was issued on Nov. 1 2012 and you came here on the 10th. Start counting 90 days with the 10th as day 1. If you have not left the country when you get close to day 90, that is the time to visit Immigration as above. This goes on until Nov 1 2013 IF you have not left the country during the year. Then you can leave Thailand on, say Oct 27 2013 and come back the same or the next day, say Oct 28. By entering Thailand on that day, your allowed time to stay is now extended one year to Oct. 28 2014. But there will be some changes during that year. You will report every 90 days to Immigration as the first year, BUT if you leave Thailand during the year, your visa and stay is expired UNLESS you buy a Return Permit at Immigration. You can buy single or multiple Return Permits.

When you have about a month left of the second year, in Oct 2014 you shall go to Immigration and apply for an Extension of Stay. It is now you need the money, or rather before that if you plan to rely on the min. 800.000B in a Thai bank. The money has to be in a Thai bank and, as has been said, at least 2 months before you apply. Following years you need to have it there 3 months. You have two more alternatives re. money. If you have a pension or an income from whereever amounting to at least 65.000B/month, you do not need to show any money in the bank. But you need to have a s.c. "Embassy letter" stating your income. The US embassy has written the sum the applicant has provided without further proof. The Thai Immigration is aware of this now and they might demand other proofs of income if you go that route. The third alternative is a combination of the above. If your pension or income is not 65.000B a month or more, you can add up the deficit with money in the thai bank. Say your pension is 55.000B x 12 =660.000 so you need to put at least 140.000B into a bank account. This alternative does not require seasoning (2 or 3 months before) of the money, it can be put in the bank the same day you apply for your extension.

You have been advised here about reporting your address. If you stay in hotels, you need not worry about it but if you stay in a private house or rent or buy a house or condo, you need to report your stay within 48 hours of your first arrival. You will need additional papers for your annual extension of stay but the best is to ask the nearest Immigration Office what they request when you get that far. What is valid today may not be the same in one or two years time.

• Like 1

Dingo, your visa is valid one year from date of issue. During this year you can leave and re-entry Thailand as many times as you wish and each time you come back your allowed time to stay is set one year forward.

Thanks for stating this more clearly than I did.

It's real important that anyone on an O-A multiple entry not get the impression that the one year permission to stay date stamped on his first entry into Thailand on the O-A is the ending date for the new one year stamps. Lots of people make that mistake, to their misery.

Edited by Jingthing

Sweet. Sounds like I did a very good thing by getting my ass in gear before I left the U.S. I just figured I needed to work it out before I got rid of all my stuff and got my butt over here.

Actually the medical and police were easy things. Took about 15 mins each and a total of about $100 USD (I found an easy doc). And there's a super cool agent across the street from the Los Angeles consulate that even took my application in because I was too late on the day I arrived. He also took pictures, organized and made sure all was in order. I know this is a plug for him but he was super helpful.

I so very much appreciate your (and beechguy's) knowledgeable assistance. Thank you!

You're welcome.

Some things to keep in mind though.

If you will be in Thailand for 90 day periods, you need to figure out how you are going to PROVE your Thai residence address. I don't know how lenient they are but typical proofs are utility bills in your name, rental contracts, etc.

Sounds like your eventual qualification method for annual extensions will be the 800K banked method. In any case, when you get settled where you are going to settle in Thailand, open a Thai bank account. Then you must figure out how you are going to transfer money into that Thai bank account from your U.S. accounts. Depending on your U.S. banks, you might have a problem if you haven't arranged some papers in the U.S. before. (You might need to travel back to sign transfer agreements.) Each U.S. bank has very specific rules. Most U.S. banks do NOT allow online SWIFT transfers.

Another tip, A good Thai bank to consider using is Bangkok Bank. That is because with them you can do online ACH transfers via Bangkok Bank New York, avoiding the complications of SWIFT transfers. (This tip good for US and UK people only; UK people use BB London.) You won't need a written agreement with U.S. banks to do that but there is a setup process. My advice is do not wait till the last minute to figure out the mechanics of your eventual need for transferring money into Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Please be advised that Bangkok Bank does allow for online transfers as long as you pay the high fees ($80 USD a pop) and do the required paperwork to be able to use that service. If you need to get money to Thailand , use your stateside bank's wire transfer services, ($20 USD) and wire it to BKKB in New York. They will deposit it right then for a fee or you can have the funds transferred to Thailand in US dollars and deposit it then. Then you still pay the fees (commission).

Most US banks do not charge $20 for ACH transfers - in fact many are free of any charge. Nor does Bangkok Bank New York charge $80 "per pop". They charge a set free for the amount range being transferred. Nor do they deposit in New York - you must have a Thailand Bangkok Bank account for funds to be deposited into. For most peoples transfer the New York charge is only $10 and the fee in Thailand is .25% in the range 200-500 baht per transfer.

Please be advised that Bangkok Bank does allow for online transfers as long as you pay the high fees ($80 USD a pop) and do the required paperwork to be able to use that service. If you need to get money to Thailand , use your stateside bank's wire transfer services, ($20 USD) and wire it to BKKB in New York. They will deposit it right then for a fee or you can have the funds transferred to Thailand in US dollars and deposit it then. Then you still pay the fees (commission).

I pay $3 for a 3 business day ACH transfer with Bank of America through the NY Bangkok Bank branch, minor fees on the this end.

Where in the world did you get this incorrect information ?

Transferred Amount

Fee (USD)

Not more than USD 50.00

Free

USD 50.01 - 100.00

USD 100.01 - 2,000.00

USD 2,000.01 - 50,000.00

USD 50,000.01 or more

1. Bangkok Bank in New York charges the following fees for funds transfers initiated via the US ACH system:
  2. Bangkok Bank in Thailand also charges a fee of 0.25% of the amount in the Baht currency (minimum of THB 200; maximum of THB 500) when the funds are deposited into the recipient's Bangkok Bank account in Thailand.

Source: http://www.bangkokba...ndsfromUSA.aspx

• Like 1

My ACH transfers from my U.S. bank to Bangkok Bank New York are charged two dollars plus the normal Bangkok Bank fees. There was NO PAPERWORK needed EVER on either end. There was an initial online setup hassle on my U.S. bank website that would be needed to set up a link for any domestic ACH transfer, involving getting TEST DEPOSITS and verifying them. As far as the U.S. bank is concerned it is a DOMESTIC transfer to New York. You don't actually have an account in New York. You enter your Bangkok Bank Thai bank account number and BB handles the move from New York to Thailand.

I have a direct deposit account at Bangkok Bank for my SSA payments. $5 in New York 200 baht here. I get an SMS when it is deposited in my account showing amount transferred in dollars (-$5), exchange rate and amount deposited in my account.

Works great for me.

I just got a 1 year OA ME and have learnt a lot from this post so thanks.

I have one additional question. Is there any benefit in applying for a retirement visa before the OA has expired?

I already have seasoned money in Thailand and was assuming I would dive straight into retirement visa planning and actions. But reading this I can't see any advantage in the first year.

OK guess the ME means multi entry so you can enter the day before the visa itself expires and get a new one year stay before you need to worry about immigration extensions of stay (they are not visas). But once your visa expires you will need re-entry permit to keep that last permitted to stay alive if you travel.

The O-A Long Stay visa is the retirement visa. Do you have a one year permitted to stay from arrival date? Is you visa single or multi? entry?

Yes it is multiple entry. I haven't entered Thailand since I got it. When I applied for the OA I had the proof of seasoned funds on deposit in Thailand.

They told me I didn't need it now but would need it for the retirement visa. I take it from your response that I'm missing the pointr and when I want to extend this Visa I will need to show the local funds? What confused me was the statement made earlier that a lot of people skip the OA step.

What you get here is an extension of stay for retirement and you can start that for the O-A visa or a normal non immigrant visa entry (normally just O). Embassy do not know the term extension of stay normally as they do not issue so called it a visa by mistake.

First off...apologies for taking a handful of days off from this forum. The information that came back to me was so quick and helpful that I feel like it might have been a little rude to not reply before now.

Some things to keep in mind though.

If you will be in Thailand for 90 day periods, you need to figure out how you are going to PROVE your Thai residence address. I don't know how lenient they are but typical proofs are utility bills in your name, rental contracts, etc.

Sounds like your eventual qualification method for annual extensions will be the 800K banked method. In any case, when you get settled where you are going to settle in Thailand, open a Thai bank account. Then you must figure out how you are going to transfer money into that Thai bank account from your U.S. accounts. Depending on your U.S. banks, you might have a problem if you haven't arranged some papers in the U.S. before. (You might need to travel back to sign transfer agreements.) Each U.S. bank has very specific rules. Most U.S. banks do NOT allow online SWIFT transfers.

Another tip, A good Thai bank to consider using is Bangkok Bank. That is because with them you can do online ACH transfers via Bangkok Bank New York, avoiding the complications of SWIFT transfers. (This tip good for US and UK people only; UK people use BB London.) You won't need a written agreement with U.S. banks to do that but there is a setup process. My advice is do not wait till the last minute to figure out the mechanics of your eventual need for transferring money into Thailand.

Jinthing:

Proving Residency - At the moment i'm staying in BKK at a serviced apartment thing short term. The only thing I have that might be more of a "contract" is my True Mobile Post Pay account. I don't know that I'd have a real residence before 90 days are up because I'll be looking around the country for a place to call home. Suggestions?

The Thai Bank Account and Transfers from the US - I opened an account at Kasikorn Bank because somewhere i read that there were ATMS everywher and they were fee free to use. I also read somewhere that I could just give the bank a US Check, and they would take something like 45 days to clear the darn thing, but that the money would be in my account and it wouldn't cost me any fees. Now I'm reading here that people are only spending $3 to $25 USD to move money from the US. I'm not so cheap that I can't afford 3 bucks and maybe that's way easier than walking up to a Thai teller with a check in USD. Do you have any thoughts on this and also on the use of Kasikorn long term?

Most US banks do not charge $20 for ACH transfers - in fact many are free of any charge. Nor does Bangkok Bank New York charge $80 "per pop". They charge a set free for the amount range being transferred. Nor do they deposit in New York - you must have a Thailand Bangkok Bank account for funds to be deposited into. For most peoples transfer the New York charge is only $10 and the fee in Thailand is .25% in the range 200-500 baht per transfer.

lopburi3: So it's whatever fee my bank charges plus only a few hundred baht here? That seems reasonable.

I pay $3 for a 3 business day ACH transfer with Bank of America through the NY Bangkok Bank branch, minor fees on the this end.

At that price you could move money in small amounts each moth! Is there a special account you have?

Thank you everyone for the help. It indeed has been very helpful!

Edited by dingodingo

I read all of the above with interest as I am considering whether to go with a non-imm O or non-imm O-A and applying from my country (Ireland, although I also have a US passport). Is it true that, if you arrive with an O-A visa, that you do not have to leave the country every 90 days, as you would have to with the normal O visa/

I read all of the above with interest as I am considering whether to go with a non-imm O or non-imm O-A and applying from my country (Ireland, although I also have a US passport). Is it true that, if you arrive with an O-A visa, that you do not have to leave the country every 90 days, as you would have to with the normal O visa/

O-A visas AND ALSO annual extensions based on retirement obtained in Thailand require a 90 day address report and do not require leaving the country. If your intention is to move to Thailand and retire here, sooner or later you are going to be on annual extensions based on retirement anyway. The main advantages to starting with the OPTIONAL O-A visa that most people cite involve the way you can stretch it to two years without ever having to qualify for a retirement extension IN Thailand, and for bank account qualifiers, the fact you can get an O-A with money outside Thailand, while retirement extensions need the money to be in Thailand. There is no right answer / better choice for everyone between starting with an O-A or not. It really depends on your individual plans. Edited by Jingthing