Censure Debate Kicks Off

Lite Beer

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple of windbags who don't seem to have any idea about democracy. It is an obligation of the opposition to oppose & confidence debates are an opportunity to allow the opposition some voice in parliament (where they are often denied). The Dems have suggested different ways to run (e.g.) the rice scam but are put down because 'Thaksin knows best'.

Secondly, the debate has hardly started & we have the usual raving criticism. Reminds me of a debate when Thaksin was in power (locally) - he declared the debate won & all ministers perfect, before the debate has started.

As mentioned many times, there are some PTP supporters who seem to think that democracy pauses as soon as an election is over.

No i am not saying they shouldn't do it. But since they aren't having things like pms questions, i would hope they can come up with something really concrete to hang the government with.

I am watching it now, and chalerm is going on about his doctorate and how hard he worked to get it??

So don't "doo took", "look down" on me..

this is Thai politics at its worst right now.

No, I don't 'look down' on you. I totally agree with your last sentence but I will criticise your voluable 'doo took' on the opposition - just as the censure debate is getting under way.

Just to make it easier for our dear members and other viewers, follow this link to get details on the Government Policies as read out by PM Yingluck August 2011. Note that after the opening statement it seems to start with 'policies to be implemented the first year'. Personally I like the second objective from the opening statement:

"Second, to bring about a Thai society that is reconciled, based on the rule of law which meets the international standard, whereby all Thais are treated equally."

"Government Policy Statement

Opening Statement

1. Urgent Policies to be Implemented in the First Year

2. Policy on National Security

3. Economic Policy

4. Social and Quality of Life Policy

5. Policy on Land, Natural Resources and the Environment

6. Policy on Science, Technology, Research and Innovation

7. Foreign Affairs and International Economic Policy

8. Policy on Good Governance"

http://www.thailandt...politics/policy

Dear fellow, could you also forward a list of governments around the world who have successfully implemented all of their policies? Many thanks in advance.

A couple of windbags who don't seem to have any idea about democracy. It is an obligation of the opposition to oppose & confidence debates are an opportunity to allow the opposition some voice in parliament (where they are often denied). The Dems have suggested different ways to run (e.g.) the rice scam but are put down because 'Thaksin knows best'.

Secondly, the debate has hardly started & we have the usual raving criticism. Reminds me of a debate when Thaksin was in power (locally) - he declared the debate won & all ministers perfect, before the debate has started.

As mentioned many times, there are some PTP supporters who seem to think that democracy pauses as soon as an election is over.

No i am not saying they shouldn't do it. But since they aren't having things like pms questions, i would hope they can come up with something really concrete to hang the government with.

I am watching it now, and chalerm is going on about his doctorate and how hard he worked to get it??

No, I don't 'look down' on you. I totally agree with your last sentence but I will criticise your voluable 'doo took' on the opposition - just as the censure debate is getting under way.

You misunderstand. The opposition was questioning chalerm, and he went of on some diatribe about having a doctorate, that he worked very hard to get.

So how dare the opposition say he isn't qualified. He used the phase doo took, to insinuate that the dems were looking down on him.

As though a doctorate is a measure of competence in absolutely anything.

You misunderstand. The opposition was questioning chalerm, and he went of on some diatribe about having a doctorate, that he worked very hard to get.

So how dare the opposition say he isn't qualified. He used the phase doo took, to insinuate that the dems were looking down on him.

As though a doctorate is a measure of competence in absolutely anything.

Give the guy some respect. We all know a doctorate in Thailand can be obtained in three days with the correct amount of funds. Not unlike a pink Bentley. Edited by Pimay1
  • Like 1

Looks like the Democats are on a roll.

First the failure of the Pitak Siam group to cause civil disorder and anarchy and now the Democrats blowing some hot air in the house.

And of course the dithering, vacilating Abhisit can flutter about providing his indecisive leadership, a leadership that with each day sees the Democrats becoming more marginalized and detached from everyday Thais.

One of the reasons why the PTP lock on government is becoming stronger is that the Democrats keep following a failed strategy. If they ever hope to win an election, they need to clean house and get some people organizational skills, leadership abilities and a vision that motivates the people.

You realize we are in Thailand I hope. Any one paying attention for the last few weeks knew before hand that there was going to be civic disorder. and the PT didn't care who they used to start it. I personally was thinking they would use the red shirts but they chose the police.

And what has your dribble about Abhist got to do with the charges being leveled at the Government.

I would take it to mean you believe in the charges being true but being a loyal Pt red shirt can not find a way to defend them so you attack the messenger.

You might think you are clever but you are not.

Last but not least if the charges are proved beyond the shadow of a doubt nothing will change. Thaksin will not allow it.

• Like 1

First the failure of the Pitak Siam group to cause civil disorder and anarchy and now the Democrats blowing some hot air in the house.

And of course the dithering, vacilating Abhisit can flutter about providing his indecisive leadership, a leadership that with each day sees the Democrats becoming more marginalized and detached from everyday Thais.

One of the reasons why the PTP lock on government is becoming stronger is that the Democrats keep following a failed strategy. If they ever hope to win an election, they need to clean house and get some people organizational skills, leadership abilities and a vision that motivates the people.

The censure debate kicked of 2 hours ago. What are you talking about man? Let them finish the thing first before concluding something.. pfff.. If you would have had some proper education you would understand that Thailand is a VERY corrupt country, but you don't seem to mind as long as your side wins. Mind you we are not supporting a football club here.

GK you are right - The Dems do need to clean house. AV was their big hope and he hasn't materialized into what they wanted, get rid and get someone untainted by the last messy three years of politics in a s leader, voters will respond to this. The Dems bang the same drum and sing the same song, a song which is no longer popular. They urgently need a new direction and a strategy to woo back marginal voters and make Thai politics a genuine two horse race again, otherwise they will remain a party of Bangkok and the South, which ain't gonna win any elections.

You are beating the same old drum against Abhist and the Dems. Like GK you grab a thread that has nothing to do with it but I strongly suspect like GK you believe the allegations to be true and being a loyal PT red shirt you can only attack the messenger.

Reminds me of a Sultan 100's of years ago who attacked some messengers from Genghis Khan and the Arab world paid for it in 100.000's of life's. If he had just responded to the messengers we would have a different world today.

The censure debate kicked of 2 hours ago. What are you talking about man? Let them finish the thing first before concluding something.. pfff.. If you would have had some proper education you would understand that Thailand is a VERY corrupt country, but you don't seem to mind as long as your side wins. Mind you we are not supporting a football club here.

What exactly do you think another censure "debate" will achieve? The Democrats do not have the votes, let alone the support to achieve censure. The event is an attempt to obtain national attention, to show that the Democrats are still "relevant". If the Democrats want to rebuild support, they need to focus on legislation and offer amendments to Bills before the House. They need to offer alternatives. What the censure debate does is to provide an opportunity for the same old gang to offer the same old speeches. A productive opposition focuses on making things better, not on stunts like this. Yhe outcome is already decided because the censure vote will be in favour of the party that has the most votes in the House and that's the government.

Still avoiding the real issue with your worn out old drum. Sad you used to have some good and bad posts but at least they were all on topic.

Just to make it easier for our dear members and other viewers, follow this link to get details on the Government Policies as read out by PM Yingluck August 2011. Note that after the opening statement it seems to start with 'policies to be implemented the first year'. Personally I like the second objective from the opening statement:

"Second, to bring about a Thai society that is reconciled, based on the rule of law which meets the international standard, whereby all Thais are treated equally."

Opening Statement

3. Economic Policy

Good stuff Hide it from GK and his adherents they won't approve.

• Like 1

100% agree with you.

But what can we expect from a government who has a leader that will be thrown in jail for two years plus charged with more crimes agai8nst the government he leads.

Yes Yes I know he has a clone and when his clone can't make a cabinet meeting he calls in direct to give his orders.

Seems to me that is some thing the Dems should maybe bring up in this sham of a censure debate.

This debate is like debating weather Boston clam chowder or New England clam chowder is the right one. Makes no difference you order clam chowder and you know you are going to get clams in it.

100% agree with you.

But what can we expect from a government who has a leader that will be thrown in jail for two years plus charged with more crimes agai8nst the government he leads.

Yes Yes I know he has a clone and when his clone can't make a cabinet meeting he calls in direct to give his orders.

Seems to me that is some thing the Dems should maybe bring up in this sham of a censure debate.

This debate is like debating weather Boston clam chowder or New England clam chowder is the right one. Makes no difference you order clam chowder and you know you are going to get clams in it.

Its the system they created. They watered down the tests, they watered down the ability to question the sitting government, they watered down the ability of the media to dig into corruption, they wrote the constitution. We can sit on the outside and bemoan that it isn't better, more transparent, more reliable, more capable of providing more capable politicians. But the so called good guys did nothing to rejig the system in their time, so they are complicit in creating this useless parliamentary system.

But, what I do know is, that repeatedly dismantling it with coups doesn't help one jot. Thai political history is littered with bodies of coups, and politicians that are corrupt to the core on ALL sides. The only way for it to get better it to let it develop, wait for the next election and hold these people accountable for their political screw ups or successes. That is the only way, it may take time, but continually resetting it doesn't work.

i look at yesterday as a massive leap forward. They made their point, they went home, and largely everyone conducted themselves very well. It is a curious thing, we are told and see every day that Thai or Thai/Chinese businesses build their success slowly but surely, people invest for the long term often paying over the odds for property or land to reap a benefit in sometimes 30 or 40 years time. A mind set we in the west don't understand. We demand instant payback, interest rate plus bla bla bla

And yet, Thailand really seems unable to understand that democracy is a thing that grows and develops, a legal system grows and develops, a society grows and develops, and yet they continually want to rip it up every couple of years to stop it changing at all. They want it their way and they want it NOW. Just look at the arguements today. You promised you would do this or that in a year. Reconcile a whole nation in a year?

Does this happen anywhere in the democratic world as an arguement? I watch the events today as some sort of HR review as to whether someone gets a bonus on their KPI's. But good, go on, keep having the reviews, it's part of life everywhere. Now the dems have to dust themselves off and really get themselves together to put up a good fist at the next election.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 2

Opening Statement

3. Economic Policy

Dear fellow, could you also forward a list of governments around the world who have successfully implemented all of their policies? Many thanks in advance.

Aaah the old reliable "but....but....but other goverments" key on the keyboard. The ever present I'm not responsible for my own actions syndrome.

The usual cop out,when they have no argument!

• Like 1

100% agree with you.

Its the system they created. They watered down the tests, they watered down the ability to question the sitting government, they watered down the ability of the media to dig into corruption, they wrote the constitution. We can sit on the outside and bemoan that it isn't better, more transparent, more reliable, more capable of providing more capable politicians. But the so called good guys did nothing to rejig the system in their time, so they are complicit in creating this useless parliamentary system.

But, what I do know is, that repeatedly dismantling it with coups doesn't help one jot. Thai political history is littered with bodies of coups, and politicians that are corrupt to the core on ALL sides. The only way for it to get better it to let it develop, wait for the next election and hold these people accountable for their political screw ups or successes. That is the only way, it may take time, but continually resetting it doesn't work.

i look at yesterday as a massive leap forward. They made their point, they went home, and largely everyone conducted themselves very well. It is a curious thing, we are told and see every day that Thai or Thai/Chinese businesses build their success slowly but surely, people invest for the long term often paying over the odds for property or land to reap a benefit in sometimes 30 or 40 years time. A mind set we in the west don't understand. We demand instant payback, interest rate plus bla bla bla

And yet, Thailand really seems unable to understand that democracy is a thing that grows and develops, a legal system grows and develops, a society grows and develops, and yet they continually want to rip it up every couple of years to stop it changing at all. They want it their way and they want it NOW. Just look at the arguements today. You promised you would do this or that in a year. Reconcile a whole nation in a year?

Does this happen anywhere in the democratic world as an arguement? I watch the events today as some sort of HR review as to whether someone gets a bonus on their KPI's. But good, go on, keep having the reviews, it's part of life everywhere. Now the dems have to dust themselves off and really get themselves together to put up a good fist at the next election.

The sad part is this gives the PT a chance to hear the other side with out being able to muzzle them. But they won't listen. Even though yesterdays rally did not get the attendance they wanted they did get their message out and I am sure many Thai's had been scared away by the government before Saturday. These people will remember it come election time. Unfortunately not enough of them. The PT will come up with some other useless promise that sounds good. In a way they are like children. Give them some thing shinny and they don't care that it is useless.

Aaah the old reliable "but....but....but other goverments" key on the keyboard. The ever present I'm not responsible for my own actions syndrome.

Or just perhaps you are being unrealistic???????????

Yes, we are in agreement! expecting this government to be responsible for their own actions is unrealistic Another (electoral) white lie - Thanks for pointing that out RichTeacher

• Like 1

100% agree with you.

I don't usually agree with your comments / statements but thank you because here I do partailly agree with what you are saying ...However the so called politicians SHOULD NOT MAKE UNREALISTIC PROMISES SUCH AS = Reconcile a whole nation in a year! ... You are right ... impossible to do and that is why they are laughable because amongst the other 1 year promises they made.. none have been accomplished other than the 300 Baht minimum wage ....and yes ... all politicians all over the world do this and are criticized for it /// E.G. Obama //// and so on .... However it is I think more the things that happened that WERE NOT PROMISSED OR EVEN DISCUSSED that are upsetting people .... and there are many of them ... I don't need to list them ..

• Like 1

Opening Statement

3. Economic Policy

I'm tempted, truly tempted, especially since you ask so nicely. old thing. You provide a list of countries where the government equally stated 'Urgent Policies to be Implemented in the First Year" and which policies and I'll check what happened.

Mind you, that would be somewhat off topic I fear. Feel free to PM said list. wai2.gif

• Like 1

To meetoo:

Disproving the plans of the opposition or government is also part of the process. No one can fool all the people all of the time anyway.

But saying things can't be spent in a country with gdp growth like this, subsidies can't be given, money can't be spent is a misnomer.

You can debate the rights and wrongs of the policies, but denying that government cant spend to develop the country is i think wrong.

Ptp has stirred up the political status quo massively, now the others have to put on their thinking caps to come up with better more useful and practical plans than tablets.

That is the political democratic challenge the opposition faces. And believe me, the army aren't going to sort that out ever.

Here we go - he says, she says... muck raking and more political turmoil leading to what? Another election? Anyone got any real solutions or suggestions? coffee1.gif

Oh dear, democracy in action. What a change.

The government being obliged to defend their actions.

Can't have that now - they won the election after all, so what's all this accountability rubbish??

This is real Democracy - what happens AFTER the election

Anyone got any real solutions or suggestions? coffee1.gif

Yes, Thai People need to come up with a real Strong and tough Leader, a dictator that can cut the crap out of the parlament house.

A leader than can enforce the law, tough to withstand corruption and government force of corruption.

Just like Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore, Brazil, China, they have a strong leader.

Also a leader that can stop the US/Wallstreet prevalence in Thailand, the capitalism and monopoly that has been taking shape in thailand.

Thailand needs a dictator - Are you for real? If you want to live under a dictator please go and live in North Korea and see how that suits you. If you don't like, well don't complain, because dictators usually put people who complain up against wall and shoot them, or send them to a labour camp. What a lovely vision you have for a future Thailand.

.......you would also hardly be able to post here under a dictatorship - dictators hate the free flow of information - this forum would not exist and you would very likely have neither an internet connection nor foreign TV channels for "national security reasons" - like it used to be not so long ago in this country!

Opening Statement

3. Economic Policy

Relevance?

A Censure Debate about the Thai government and its policies.

Always useful to throw in a diversion.

Seen it before, hopefully posters won't take the bait

Anyone got any real solutions or suggestions? coffee1.gif

Yes, Thai People need to come up with a real Strong and tough Leader, a dictator that can cut the crap out of the parlament house.

A leader than can enforce the law, tough to withstand corruption and government force of corruption.

Just like Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore, Brazil, China, they have a strong leader.

Also a leader that can stop the US/Wallstreet prevalence in Thailand, the capitalism and monopoly that has been taking shape in thailand.

Thailand needs a dictator - Are you for real? If you want to live under a dictator please go and live in North Korea and see how that suits you. If you don't like, well don't complain, because dictators usually put people who complain up against wall and shoot them, or send them to a labour camp. What a lovely vision you have for a future Thailand.

.......you would also hardly be able to post here under a dictatorship - dictators hate the free flow of information - this forum would not exist and you would very likely have neither an internet connection nor foreign TV channels for "national security reasons" - like it used to be not so long ago in this country!

25 yrs ago it was hard to buy a road map.

National security and all that........

On the contrary, it is you that does not understand the role of an official opposition in a parliamentary style of government.

The role of the Official Opposition is to question and scrutinise the work of government. Members of the opposition act as a brake on government haste, to ensure that all legislation receives the "due process" of parliamentary deliberation, and to see that diverse and opposing points of view have a chance to be aired and defended. In effect, is to act as a check on the power of the government and to prod the government to change legislative policy where needed. Ultimately, the actions of the opposition in the House are to show that the opposition can replace the government party.

The current censure debate does not achieve the aforementioned. Rather it is a substitute for proper opposition scrutiny and debate. The opposition has multiple avenues of showing its disagreement with the government, whether it be through the "hearings" process, or the actual debate period in the House. I believe that the Democrats recognize that they have not done a particularly good job as an opposition party and that its members have not been able to use the parliamentary procedures to challenge the government. There is not much public interest in the activities of the Democrats as an opposition, nor does the electrotate perceive the Democrats as a viable alternative to the current government. Hence, the need for an activity with lots of attention grabbing "oomph".

It is simple to dismiss my position with your argument, however, the facts that I have referenced remain. Had the Democrats been successful as an official opposition party, the government would be on the ropes. Instead, the government is coasting along with few challenges offered in the House. The worst possible scenario for Thailand is a military dictatorship. The second worst scenario is a one party dominated government. The Democrats through their ineptness and inability to get their sh*t together are making the second scenario possible. I want a strong opposition, even if it is the Democrats. The stronger, the better, but that means that the opposition would have to adopt internal positions such as a zero tolerance on corruption in order to take on the government on this issue. An opposition party that itself is just as deficient if not more so than the ruling party, can't effectively function as an opposition.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 2