Retirement Visa Inconsistances

Once when I applied for a retirement visa in Chingmai with full income method. The officer asked to see my bank book. I only had a joint bank acount with my wife. He would not accept it. I did ask him how much should I have in my Bank account and he said about Bt 300,000 to Bt400,000I had to go to a lot of trouble and open a new bank account in my name and transfer money into it and then take it back to immigration...

I knew full well that I did not have to have any money in a bank account when i produced my income verification, but I have learned that it is no use arguing with these people.

Over ths past 15 years I have had mostly good results with immigration officers. But it is always best to be prepared for any demands however unreasonanble they may sound.

To meet the financial requirements for a retirement extension, there are three options;

1. 800000 baht in a Thai bank in your name only seasoned for 2 months for the first application and 3 months thereafter. You must have a current letter from the bank and a copy of your bankbook.

2. 65000 baht/month income from outside of Thailand. You must have an "income affidavit" from your embassy and in some cases all of the supporting documentation. Some offices only require the affidavit. The office that I use requires that the letter be isssued within 30 days of application but no supporting documentation..

3. A combination of both so that the total is at least 800000 baht. You need a letter from the bank and an income affidavit from your embassy. Most offices do not require that the money be seasoned, but reports indicate that some do.

What other supporting documentation is required and how current the bank letter or income affidavit has to be seems to be at the discretion of the immigration office that you use. There does no seem to be a "standard" policy and they can ask for whatever they want.

Or do just like me... visit a lawyer office, give my passport, pay 6000 baht for processing and get your extention retirement visa within 3 days... oh yeah for the record, without visiting in person the immigration office and without the financial requirements. I prefer to keep my money out of Thailand. How can it goes sometimes...

Or do just like me... visit a lawyer office, give my passport, pay 6000 baht for processing and get your extention retirement visa within 3 days... oh yeah for the record, without visiting in person the immigration office and without the financial requirements. I prefer to keep my money out of Thailand. How can it goes sometimes...

You mean illegally and you sign for the appers to be correct.

If or when this scheme is found out and false docuemnts have been filed you can be in a lot of trouble. It would mean arrest, jail time, deportation and blacklisting.

Although I must say at 6,000 baht it seems the regular fee for a lawyer and I wonder what kind of extension you really have.

• Like 1

For clarification: did you do this in Chiang Mai?

Sent from my Nexus S using Thaivisa Connect App