Grievance Time, Tuk Com Awful Computer Repair Service

infinity11

Went to shop many times each time it is a different story/problem in the end paid over 2000 baht and the computer was worse off and would not boot.

Caveat emptor / buyer beware.

There are too many ruthless people who are concerned with your baht but not with any kind of customer satisfaction but will smile and pretend to be nice and care until...

Welcome to Thailand and the real world.

PM for employee names and shop.

I have considered: better business bureau and would consider other options but in Thailand I think it's all a joke.

And maybe best to let it go.

rant over for now

or to Pattaya2U in Tukcom (3rd floor SW Corner).

Good Service, Friendly people but YMMV

+1.

I visit them each 3-4 months to clean dust, they have also repaired me two laptops (broken power button and cables).

Always fair prices, never missed promised time.

A small recommendation: repair your stuff in two steps:

(1) give your stuff for checking the problem, such check must be free; go to another shop if they want any advance payment;

(2) come back in 1-2 hours, they would tell you what's the problem and how much is that.

Negotiate that if they are unable to repair, you don't pay. I had another irrecoverable laptop, attempted to repair in most shops at TukCom and Phantip, and finally never paid a baht. Once they even put an extra gig of memory, and I returned it. :)

Also, "would not boot" may be caused by the software. Have you booted from an USB/CD?

Edited by bytebuster

Been to them a couple of times brilliant fast service, last time new screen in laptop and much better than when new, 4,000bht very happy with their service..

I took a laptop to tucom to have the graphics chip on the motherboard remounted/soldered (common problem BTW) I had already dismantled the machine and specifically asked how much to reflow the GPU - the guy said 300baht for one chip 500 for 2 chips- when I returned he gave me a bill for 3000baht, without having a written quote I could do nothing but pay - f'cking crooks

make sure you get a written quote for work to be done and price, I could have done the job myself but as a one off not worth buying the equipment

BTW this is a common problem with surface mount chips that get hot, graphics cards graphic chips etc, because they use none lead based solder in manufacturing now the solder degrades and fail on chips that produce heat the failure usually occurs (depending on usage patterns) between 13 and 24 months, resulting the the chip needing reflowed (resoldered) to the board, very very common problem and requires special equipment to carry out the repair, you can sometimes use a heatgun to reflow existing solder but it will breakdown again after a few months, extra cooling methods on the chip may help also and I don't mean adding a fan underneath the laptop, graphics card in desktops suffer the same problems but again can be avoided by better thermal cooling

• Like 1

The OP hasn't even hinted at what his many problems were so assume that he/she isn't exactly savvy with IT. Just guessing here but perhaps this was an old clunker of a PC, well past it's use-by date and the maybe the shop were just too polite to turn the owner away. Or maybe they tried but the OP persisted in getting his money's worth, whatever that may entail.

In the end, there must be 3 or 4 decent PC repair shops in the building; and at least one elsewhere in Pattaya by all accounts here. If any one of them struck-out twice on solving any issues I had, I am pretty sure I would have taken my business elsewhere a long time ago instead of flogging a dead horse and posting some lame 'name and shame' style rant here.

Oh yes.... 2000 baht?!

Dealt with these people for years. Excellent service and if you buy the computer from them then there is no charge if you later have a problem. Can't recommend enough.

Here's a true story from 2 days ago.

I went up to the 5th floor with my PC which wouldn't start (after 3 weeks away). One of the service people dressed in a purple shirt (uniform) grabbed it off me, took it over to the repair area and immediately opened it up to check it out. He fixed the problem (the ram connections needed cleaning) and I asked him how much. He said "nothing". I bought the computer at that shop 2 years ago but he didn't even know if I had purchased it there.

Perhaps any disgruntled people should try the 5th floor. They're not busy up there.

Dealt with these people for years. Excellent service and if you buy the computer from them then there is no charge if you later have a problem. Can't recommend enough.

I must have been unlucky a few years ago when I discovered they hadn't even started my computer (checked system records) and charged me 200 baht for doing absolutely nothing. I imagine they have quite a staff turnover, so I must have just been unlucky at that time. It's not a lot of money, but it certainly put me off going back there.

Edited by tropo

for me the best often return with a smile and say no charge. If they dont carry what i need the little guy takes me to shops that sell what i want or asks around for me. +++ Edited by marstons

• 3 weeks later...

Does pattaya2u still exist? My laptyop just died and I need immediate repair. I went to their website when it was first posted in this topic but it seems to be gone now. I was hoping to get a phone number to find out how early they open so I could get down there right away.

If anyone knows their hours or has a phone number for them it would be much appreciated.

thanks

pattaya2u is still there, in the same place in the corner, I have the following numbers for them: 086-7788589 089-1099801. 081-1594404. They open 1030 Sunday as well

Craig 3365 used them last week to have his computer up graded, he will no doubt be along in a minute to tell us all about it biggrin.png

• Like 1

Pattaya2u and Wattana opposite foodland ,both excellent service ,one good thing with wattana is that you can park outside the doors ,but have had really good service from both .

I went to pattaya2u and parked outside the door. There is no need to go up to the 3rd floor as the have more than 1 location.

pattaya2u is still there, in the same place in the corner, I have the following numbers for them: 086-7788589 089-1099801. 081-1594404. They open 1030 Sunday as well

Craig 3365 used them last week to have his computer up graded, he will no doubt be along in a minute to tell us all about it biggrin.png

Absolutely right! They did a great job at a great price. The young man said if I ever have any problems, to come back and he'll remember me. Super nice.

All the staff were great. Helping me the PC as soon as I walked in, giving me a quote right up front that was adhered to properly.

So far, all is well. Upgraded to Win 7, 4GB of memory and a new graphics card. They loaded all sorts of software for me automatically. Didn't even have to ask for it.

I'm happy!

Pattaya2u and Wattana opposite foodland ,both excellent service ,one good thing with wattana is that you can park outside the doors ,but have had really good service from both .

I went to pattaya2u and parked outside the door. There is no need to go up to the 3rd floor as the have more than 1 location.

Really? You mean I didn't have to lug that big PC up the elevator?????

Really? You mean I didn't have to lug that big PC up the elevator?????

Shop is next to the car parking building.

Absolutely right! They did a great job at a great price. The young man said if I ever have any problems, to come back and he'll remember me. Super nice.

All the staff were great. Helping me the PC as soon as I walked in, giving me a quote right up front that was adhered to properly.

So far, all is well. Upgraded to Win 7, 4GB of memory and a new graphics card. They loaded all sorts of software for me automatically. Didn't even have to ask for it.

I'm happy!

be careful a lot of the software is pirated and full of viruses and trojans as a lot of these places cant afford or dont want to pay for the real deal

I'm happy!

be careful a lot of the software is pirated and full of viruses and trojans as a lot of these places cant afford or dont want to pay for the real deal

Yes, Rimmer warned me about that. My AV has not picked up anything....yet....maybe I'll try malwarebytes also just in case....

My MB was fried. They had to do some surface mount soldering and fix the MB. I was quoted 3500thb if the MB was the issue. Once they confimed it was the MB I talked them down to 3000thb and they said it would take 2 days (standard for MB repairs). I told them if they could get it done ASAP I would be ever grateful. Couple hpurs later they called me and told me it was done. Somehow I jumped the que and the guy did the work straight away. Was it cheap? No. I could have purchased a refurb MB on ebay much cheaper and that would have come with many components. All they did was change out some burnt up IC's on the board and charged me 3000thb. Thing is, I knew what I was getting into when I walked in there. I already knew the MB was fried. I couldn't wait to have a new MB shipped via ebay to save a few bucks.

All in all, I'm pleased with the fast and professional service I received. I would rather pay 3000thb and have my laptop back in a few hours than 3500thb and have to wait in the que a few days.

They told me they would warranty the work for 1 month with I fee is also a fair ammount of time to see that they fixed the probem. I would recommend them to anyone in need of repairs.

No sooner did I write the last post when smoke started coming out of my laptop. Took it back in and they are working on it again. Of course I don't expect to pay for the follow up service but I'm bummed I'll probably have to leave it with them over night.

No sooner did I write the last post when smoke started coming out of my laptop. Took it back in and they are working on it again. Of course I don't expect to pay for the follow up service but I'm bummed I'll probably have to leave it with them over night.

Keep us posted.

Price doesn't seem so unreasonable for a laptop. My Acer netbook needed a new mainboard and the Acer service center quoted me B7000 after keeping it a week. Machine only cost me about B10,000. That was the end of me & Acer, so I never got a chance to perform the after-service smoke test.