40K In Thailand

matt helm

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can live in Pattaya for half of that price also .

$2000 is too much unless you pay for an expensive condo

I am sure a person who does not earn a lot would think that... People like me think its very reasonable considering what you get for that money.. People like bill gates would call you poor and cheap charlie... each to their own,.

Maybe start a topic 'I have 40k US, how can this be best used to stay for a while in Thailand'. Should get a good bit of info on that.

[Edit]

Lot's of people her who know so very very much.

I think there is some great information here.

I don't know how pertinent it is if you don't have a Thai wife, a huge investment in all the trappings collected over the years and many years of experience in dodging the pitfalls, but it's still good info.

Just not so useful for a guy fresh off the boat airplane.

Edited by impulse

Maybe start a topic 'I have 40k US, how can this be best used to stay for a while in Thailand'. Should get a good bit of info on that.

[Edit]

Lot's of people her who know so very very much.

I think there is some great information here.

I don't know how pertinent it is if you don't have a Thai wife, a huge investment in all the trappings collected over the years and many years of experience in dodging the pitfalls, but it's still good info.

Just not so useful for a guy fresh off the boat airplane.

Well said. Mostly useless for someone 'straight off the boat'.

Op arrives in Thailand and heads where exactly? Head out into the countryside where he knows nobody and doesnt speak the language hardly realistic.

40k good for a year in Thailand. Travel around everywhere have a good time and then go back and make some more money and decide if you want to come back.

• Like 1

As far as why it's better to own anything the answer is you are not paying intrest on what you have , not to mention rented things can't apprechiate for you.

I understand the argument that you can rent and use the principle for investing however contrairy to what most people think thats doesn't work out as well as often as people think.

Once again monthly payments include intrest paying for things does not.

Rent does not include interest. And that's (at least for me) the highest expense.

The ROI that my landlord makes on my rent is probably 5% (annual rent/market price).

I don't see any advantage in buying a condo or a house, aside from maybe the psychological effect of being the owner and not having to worry that the landlord will ask you to move. But then again, I like to move from time to time.

Depending of your life-style between one and three years,

ie. 40,000 x 30 = 1,200,000

1y = 100,000b/m

2y = 50,000b/m

3y = 33,000b/m

You can live fine for around 30,000b/m:

Bungalow/house/room: 5,000b/m to 10,000b/m

Daily expences (food etc.) 500 x 30 = 15,000b/m

Extra (transport): 5,000b/m to 10,000b/m (you may need an insurance)

- but not much left for fun sad.png

If a person didn't buy anything of substance, but rented a small flat, used public transportation, didn't live in the most expensive area and otherwise conserved, he could live on 25kB per month but it wouldn't be much of a life. It would be living in LOS, though, with enough money to go out some. That's assuming nothing went wrong such as a medical expense, etc.

I have lived in Chiang Mai twice for about 90 days that way and spent about $1,200 US per month not counting visas and international travel. I knew I was leaving, and didn't want to leave things or money behind.

When I move next year it will be different. I will be getting a retirement visa based on income, and bringing enough money to buy a car and a scooter. I will be getting drivers licenses, equipping my living space the way I want it, and will probably blow through $40k US in a few months. After that it should settle down to about 50kB per month and I don't drink much or chase bar girls. I also don't plan to live in an expensive area. I plan to live on less than 1/2 my income because I have no idea what will happen to the value of the US $ over time and I feel a need to save.

This might be a little off topic, but definitely about costs. Someone in this or another thread really was against buying a car. I'd like to know why for my own and the OP's knowledge. It seems to me to be a good way to explore the country. I'm actually thinking pickup with topper. If someone can elaborate on why that's a good value or not, It would contribute to the thread IMHO. After living in the US, I can't imagine being without one.

Without knowing people one is likely to stay in a city, and go out and socialize.

Presumably one doesn't want to live in 5k shoebox room or get a 12 month rental contract for a house in some place he doesn't know.

So guess first up is a 3 or 6 month contract in a nice-ish condo in some place like BKK, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Pattaya. Hua Hin.

probably 10-15k p/m.

Rent an okay scooter - 5k p/m.

Then you want to start doing things and meeting people. Probably 1000b p/d unless you like eating rat on a stick next to an open sewer manhole cover and hanging around with penniless retirees, drunks and sexpats.

So that's around 50k for the first few months, which doesn't include weekends away etc. clothes etc etc. massages or girls/boys/girlboys or whatever you're into.

So say 70k p/m for the first 6 months, for a basic life.

I couldn't be bothered working out many US$ that is. Probably around $20k.

After that re-evaluate.

"Rent an okay scooter - 5k p/m."

-bad advice, buy something for 12k and you save yourself money after an odd 2 months

If he likes stopping off at his mechanic for new repairs and parts, and perhaps further damage due to the Thai way of repairing things, that's certainly good advice.

What does 12k get you, a 15 year old thrashed somchai maintained bucket still on its original oil and brake pads?

Thailand Rule # 69:

"Don't buy used items that have been Somchai owned and maintained."

Edited by cbrer

I think $2000 a month in Pattaya is reasonable to LIVE on. Not survive, that's totally different. I'm talking about LIVE, nice place, good food, plenty of girls, maybe a 2nd hand car, definetly a bike. Activities ect.

omg! the girls must be hella ugly! plenty of them..............huh?

If he likes stopping off at his mechanic for new repairs and parts, and perhaps further damage due to the Thai way of repairing things, that's certainly good advice.

What does 12k get you, a 15 year old thrashed somchai maintained bucket still on its original oil and brake pads?

Thailand Rule # 69:

"Don't buy used items that have been Somchai owned and maintained."

Eh? I bought a Wave for 15k, replaced oil, chain, brake pads for less than 1000B. Drove it for 2 years with only regular maintanance. Sold it to a friend for 13500B. He has ridden it with no problems for 2 years. You can get a lot out of a cheap scooter.

Anyway, whoever suggested 5k a month to rent a scooter is nuts. Max 3k.

• Like 2

So that's around 50k for the first few months, which doesn't include weekends away etc. clothes etc etc. massages or girls/boys/girlboys or whatever you're into.

Love how renting sex is part of a 'basic life'.

• Like 2

whoever suggested 5k a month to rent a scooter is nuts. Max 3k.

That prices differ around Thailand is obviously beyond your comprehension. :(

Nouvo/Fino 125 is 6k p/m and PCX125 is 8k p/m in Bangkok Bike Rentals, for example.

Not everybody considers a 80b p/d (like you see in Chiang Mai) clapped-out 1985 100cc 4 speed 'Dream' as 'nice'.

Though perhaps those living in a 3500b shoebox do.

Love how renting sex is part of a 'basic life'.

It probably is for 80%+ of males who move here, during their first 6 months.

Edited by cbrer

2 - 3 years for Joe Average.

Want a nice car, expat lifestyle, fully furnished house with all mod cons in Bangkok, Phuket or Samui at a nice big fat overpriced tourist rate, well, about 4 months.

you need too get real fella.............................nom nam nar

That prices differ around Thailand is obviously beyond your comprehension. sad.png

Nouvo/Fino 125 is 6k p/m and PCX125 is 8k p/m in Bangkok Bike Rentals, for example.

Hmm. You take an expensive rental company as an example and then misquote their prices. 6000B/month will get you their PCX125 and 4900B will get the Nouvo/Fino. From their front page:

125cc long term rental

... 4900 baht !!!

- 10% discount for students, teachers,locals.

=> 4400 Bahts per month!!!

- No Hidden costs!!

------------------------------------------------------------

N E W H O N D A P C X A V A I L A B L E

Premium package included

10% discount for students, teachers, locals.

6000 baht per month *

Then a quick look around on various classifieds sites and I see bikes available generally from 100-150B a day base rate with discounts for longer terms....

When I've been around Thailand, I don't think I've ever paid more than 200B/day to rent a scooter other than a PCX on Samui, and generally I pay 150B/day. monthly rates I see are in the 2500-3000B range depending on model.

Not everybody considers a 80b p/d (like you see in Chiang Mai) clapped-out 1985 100cc 4 speed 'Dream' as 'nice'.

Though perhaps those living in a 3500b shoebox do.

80B for a 1985 100cc Dream? I paid just 1200B/month, half your price! Do you always pay double? wink.png

And no, I don't live in a shoebox.

I think $2000 a month in Pattaya is reasonable to LIVE on. Not survive, that's totally different. I'm talking about LIVE, nice place, good food, plenty of girls, maybe a 2nd hand car, definetly a bike. Activities ect.

omg! the girls must be hella ugly! plenty of them..............huh?

Hella Ugly? Did you bang your head against the window on the flight over from Cali?

Seriously though when you live in Pattaya, and your not just a total loser, you don't need to pay for sex. You will need to pay them to leave afterwords however smile.png . Simply put, you can easily have a decent regular lover and a few short times a week if you want to spice things up a bit. And with the luxury of time on your side you can casually sort through them and pick which ever young ladies you find attractive. You never really need to have a ugly girl in Pattaya, just put a lil work in and don't be kikiyet wink.png

Edited by Zatoichi

That prices differ around Thailand is obviously beyond your comprehension. sad.png

Hmm. You take an expensive rental company as an example and then misquote their prices. 6000B/month will get you their PCX125 and 4900B will get the Nouvo/Fino. From their front page:

125cc long term rental

... 4900 baht !!!

- 10% discount for students, teachers,locals.

=> 4400 Bahts per month!!!

- No Hidden costs!!

------------------------------------------------------------

And someone who's just flying in and not sure of where he's going to stay/settle is going to want a long term rental because.... huh.png

Though when you figure out that their lowest long term rate is still well over the '3K max' that you seem to be proud of, it might be extra confusing.

"Do you always pay double? "

Given what your life sounds like - 12k Honda Waves, 1200b Wave rentals, I pay 10 times what you do for my bikes. So no, I don't pay double, I pay decuple. wink.png

When 2k thb difference on a monthly scooter rental means so much, it's time to seriously reassess where one is in life.

Edited by cbrer

"Rent an okay scooter - 5k p/m."

-bad advice, buy something for 12k and you save yourself money after an odd 2 months

Friend of mine came to Samui Sept. 2012 and picked up a bike for 18k. Every month he would take to the local repair shop for some kind of service which was 100B. 6 months later he was returning to the UK and sold it for 17k. 1000B (+5-600) for 6 months use of a bike, gotta love it.

I agree. I've done 6 months for $1200 per month but I ate at more Western style restaurants than necessary. There are small places with Western style food cheaper, but I didn't figure that out for a while.

IF you get a girlfriend, and depending on the girlfriend, or IF you like bar girls all bets are off.

Ain't that the truth! If you marry a Thai wife, good luck making it last a year, even if she comes from the poorest part of the country. You will be the meal ticket for the extended family. Bar girls are much cheaper.