Thai Law, If Motorist Kills My Gf's Dog , Etc

chubby

hello,

if, a rich guy hits my gf's dog and kills it , in front of her house, would he be breaking any law.

poor gf, is distraught, and killer driver guy, showed no remorse, and even insulted the family while it happened.

this was in nong khaem, yesterday

she has his license plate number

thanks in advance.

dog was not on a leash, how about property damage, is a dog "property" in Thai law ?

Your lucky the dog did no damage to his car. A responsible dog owner would have the dog on a leash. Me I would get you to pay for any damage to my car.

sent from my Q6

gee thanks, for your jai dee XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Edited by Rooo
flame edited

Can we have more details ?

1. Was the car being driven on the Wrong side of the road ?

2. Was the car speeding ?

3. Did the driver run over the dog on purpose ?

Also whether the guy is rich or not has nothing to do with anything...So according to your logic, if the driver is rich , he has to pay

even if he is right ?

Be a responsible dog owner , keep it on a leash or INSIDE your house.

Also whether the guy is rich or not has nothing to do with anything...So according to your logic, if the driver is rich , he has to pay

even if he is right ?

.......look, thanks for the: my gf is at fault angle,

I'm not asking that ;

I am asking for some more details, I wasn't there. He was speeding in the soi. I mention he was rich, because, it contributed to his I don't give a fk attitude, apparently, not for any reason.

And thanks for a little sympathy, really.

Edited by chubby

From a practical point of view, it is very difficult to establish someone was speeding if there are no such things as tyre markings etc. And if police is not at the scene upon the facts happening. And he could be "speeding" for a small soi, yet remain within the legal limit (60 kms/h for city driving, which is already quite fast).

He was callous for sure, but within his right (I am not sure that you are aware that any good driving school will teach you to hit the dog instead of hitting a car or a human if the damage would be greater). For law, the dog is just a "thing"... No matter how we feel about it.

We are sympathetic to your plight, but reality is still there. And you asked us to provide you practical answers, with a view to obtaining compensation if possible. Unfortunately, as it stands, it looks as this would be impossible given the facts.

• Like 1

even if he is right ?

.......look, thanks for the: my gf is at fault angle,

I'm not asking that ;

I am asking for some more details, I wasn't there. He was speeding in the soi. I mention he was rich, because, it contributed to his I don't give a fk attitude, apparently, not for any reason.

And thanks for a little sympathy, really.

Sorry about your dog, but the dog is your/your girlfriends responsibility. Control it or risk losing it.

You don't know if the guy was rich or speeding without proof. It's a dogs owner who doesn't control their dog that has the "Couldn't give a xxxx attitude".

As others have said if your dog caused damage to his car due to you not controlling it then you are liable to pay for it.

dog was not on a leash, how about property damage, is a dog "property" in Thai law ?

Your lucky the dog did no damage to his car. A responsible dog owner would have the dog on a leash. Me I would get you to pay for any damage to my car.

sent from my Q6

gee thanks, for your jai dee ahole

Yes, the truth can hurt sometimes.

I'm sorry for your girlfriend, but very, very probably she is responsible, which would mean: she would have to pay for any damage to the car, and no reimbursement of any kind for the dog.

What if the driver of the car, avoided the dog and by doing so hit another car? Then your gf would have been held liable. We feel bad the dog got hit, but on the other hand, be happy nothing worse happened.

To the Op you need to look at how humans are treated in similar situations to this to understand you have no chance of any compensation through negligence of the driver.

Was the dog a farang dog! rolleyes.gif because you are involved that is how it will be seen,roll over and get another dog for your lady when you can to ease the pain.

I was favouring the axe handle until I realised the guy must have stopped, and by the sound of it, complained to your gf's family.

I remember stopping to complain and hurl a bottle at a dog after he attacked me on a bike then ran into his gate....al whilst the householder looked on as if it was an everyday event.

Could he have been similarly aggrieved?

Edited by cheeryble

• 4 months later...

My dog loves chasing cars and especially motorbikes.

I think you are being funny here, but seriously, when I ride my bike, pedal bike, I keep two large stones in my basket, and many a time when a dog chased me, I did a U turn and walloped it with the stone, the second one was in case I missed the first time which wasn't often.

I was favouring the axe handle until I realised the guy must have stopped, and by the sound of it, complained to your gf's family.

I remember stopping to complain and hurl a bottle at a dog after he attacked me on a bike then ran into his gate....al whilst the householder looked on as if it was an everyday event.

Could he have been similarly aggrieved?

He could, and would, especially with him being Thai, he would be looking for money from you.

OP: To put things in perspective for you it's a maximum 1,000 baht fine / one month in prison for animal cruelty in Thailand. Running over an unleashed dog in the street - no chance.

OP: To put things in perspective for you it's a maximum 1,000 baht fine / one month in prison for animal cruelty in Thailand. Running over an unleashed dog in the street - no chance.

That information would have been worthy of your 3,000th post.... wai2.gif

wither thaivisa typical adios

A bit harsh sad.png , we/you must perhaps look at it from a motorists perspective eh. thumbsup.gif

There are too many stray/wandering dogs in Thailand - many are a bloody nuisance..

Thai dog owners are about as responsible as most Thai parents.

I doubt that the motorist was to blame on this occasion and it would certainly not be an offence where any unleashed dog is concerned.

Ask mods to move this thread to the 'dog lover's thread' if it sympathy/empathy you are after - otherwise be grateful that the driver did not swerve violently to avoid your GF's dog and kill some child playing (probably unsupervised) in the same soi.