Reporters Seek To Join Probe Of Police 'assault' During Pitak Siam Rally: Bangkok

webfact

Reporters seek to join probe of police 'assault'

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Press and broadcast organisations yesterday called on police to let media representatives join an investigation of the assault on three on-duty cameramen by police during the Pitak Siam anti-government rally.

Chavarong Limpattamapanee, president of the Thai Journalists Association, and Wisut Komwatcharapong, president of the Thai Broadcast Journalists Association, submitted their petition to National Police chief Adul Saengsingkaew at Royal Thai Police Headquarters at noon.

The letter urged police to carry out a probe to determine why police harmed and detained cameramen who were on an assignment during the protest on November 24.

Chavarong said it had been established that the three news cameramen were attacked by police and forced onto the back of a truck meant to detain crime suspects.

The three cameramen were on the job, so the actions by police amounted to obstruction of a journalist's duty to report the facts to the public as well as a violation of basic human rights as guaranteed by Article 45 of the Constitution, he said.

The letter made three demands. First, police must carry out a fact-finding investigation with representatives from media groups to ensure accurate information and fairness for police and their victims.

Second, police must compensate the three men for their injuries and damaged cameras.

Third, police must invite representatives of media professions to a meeting to draft a code of conduct governing police and reporters covering political rallies. With the media's involvement, the protocol would be accepted by reporters and would engender respect between police and reporters.

Wisut said police had sent a letter to his association, claiming that they did not know that the three cameramen were on assignment.

But the three cameramen presented their press identification cards to police and they were attacked after they ran into a police tent to avoid the violence, he said.

The police letter also accused the arrested cameramen of helping protesters remove police barricades, but the three cameramen denied to the media groups that they had taken any part in such an attempt, he said.

The two media groups also filed a complaint with the House and the National Human Rights Commission, he added.

National Police spokesman Pol Maj-General Piya Uthayo said representatives of the two media groups would be invited to a meeting to consider measures to ensure the safety of reporters on the job.

Police might distribute a media logo for field reporters and would compile a list of reporters as a reference for officers, he said.

The police chief has also ordered Pol General Chatchawal Suksomjit, an adviser to the National Police, to look into the incident, he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11- 30

"Wisut said police had sent a letter to his association, claiming that they did not know that the three cameramen were on assignment.

But the three cameramen presented their press identification cards to police and they were attacked after they ran into a police tent to avoid the violence, he said."

Run to the police for protection, and get beaten up. Amazing Thailand indeed.

another great piece of journalism by "The Nation" leaving out all essential information which would bring us closer to the truth - as per police media personnel were told to wear green armbands issued by the Thai Journalists Association (TJA) while covering the Pitak Siam protest.

But two photographers arrested were wearing yellow armbands issued by rally organisers - so of course they took them for protestors.

If you are a journalist covering an anti governemnt rally which could turn violent in any country and you have half a brain - for your own safety you wear an outfit with big big letters stating that you are PRESS or TV or JOURNALIST or NEWS - like almost all news people do all over the world so they can be clearly identified as reporters even within a large crowd - many are now even wearing bullet proof wests and helmets witrh PRESS or TV in large letters on them.

But of course these three reporters - as seen on the pictures taken - where wearing just T-shirts like everybody else and on top of it had yellow armbands - and then they are complaining they got arrested while in the middle of a mob trying to over run police baricades.

Get over it ! And next time follow common sense and make sure you can be identified as PRESS from a distance - if you still get arrested then - and you have done nothing that broke the law - then you have something to complain about.

• Like 2

another great piece of journalism by "The Nation" leaving out all essential information which would bring us closer to the truth - as per police media personnel were told to wear green armbands issued by the Thai Journalists Association (TJA) while covering the Pitak Siam protest.

But two photographers arrested were wearing yellow armbands issued by rally organisers - so of course they took them for protestors.

If you are a journalist covering an anti governemnt rally which could turn violent in any country and you have half a brain - for your own safety you wear an outfit with big big letters stating that you are PRESS or TV or JOURNALIST or NEWS - like almost all news people do all over the world so they can be clearly identified as reporters even within a large crowd - many are now even wearing bullet proof wests and helmets witrh PRESS or TV in large letters on them.

But of course these three reporters - as seen on the pictures taken - where wearing just T-shirts like everybody else and on top of it had yellow armbands - and then they are complaining they got arrested while in the middle of a mob trying to over run police baricades.

Get over it ! And next time follow common sense and make sure you can be identified as PRESS from a distance - if you still get arrested then - and you have done nothing that broke the law - then you have something to complain about.

Actually, I read a post by Nick Nostitz that their were no press arm bands being handed out except the ones by the protest leaders. Nick refused to wear one.

So it's OK to beat up reporters not wearing armbands and smash their equipment?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect App

The free lancer journalist Nicky Nostaritz (I forget the correct name) did it when he stay with the Red Shirts)? He still complains.

Actually, I read a post by Nick Nostitz that their were no press arm bands being handed out except the ones by the protest leaders. Nick refused to wear one.

These green colored armbands by the Thai Journalist Association are not to be just simply handed out. Any working member of the media can pick it up from the association's offices when showing proper credentials. On that day i didn't wear mine (i had it in my camera bag though), mostly because most people know me anyhow, be it cops or protesters.

And to add, i also did not wear the UDD issued armband in 2010, only the Thai Journalist Association issue armband.

Generally i think it is wrong for us journalists to wear any symbol issued by the protests groups, or color associated with the different protest groups. It gives the wrong impression, and can cause problems with the security forces. I am not saying that this particular incident of the three detained journos was caused by this, but possibly part of the reason may have been the armband. Another reason may have been that most of the officers there have been from upcountry and did not know personally know the usual Bangkok journalist crowd. But i have not been at the particular incident, so i'll have to wait and see what the investigations come up with.

Of course you are right, wearing a yellow arm band is ample reason to be beaten by people who are supposed to be impartial and uphold the law of the land.

• Like 1

The three are from ASTV, T-News and Thai PBS, all of which are anti-government and you're reading a report about their claims in a newspaper which is itself anti-government; it's not much above reading about EDL gripes in the National Front newspaper (apologies to the non-British readers.)

• Like 1

The three are from ASTV, T-News and Thai PBS, all of which are anti-government and you're reading a report about their claims in a newspaper which is itself anti-government; it's not much above reading about EDL gripes in the National Front newspaper (apologies to the non-British readers.)

You don't think that 3 journalists from 3 separate organs with the same story rings a bell?

Enoch would have signed you in a millisecond!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect App

I'm not sure what the comment about Enoch means - did you totally misunderstand my post? - or what you mean by ringing a bell. What I am supposed to be remembering? Anyway, my point is simply that the same event can be described in many different ways. ASTV are going to describe what happened in one way (and if you've ever read their website, you'll know what a poisonous way that is likely to be). This then passes through the Nation, who hardly have the highest of news values and you get - surprise, surprise - the Nation's 400th story of the day about the alleged iniquities of this government. I'm not saying these people didn't get a hard time from the police. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Maybe the police had good cause, maybe they didn't but I'd want to see it from someone a little more reliable than ASTV/The Nation before I passed judgement.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the comment about Enoch means - did you totally misunderstand my post? - or what you mean by ringing a bell. What I am supposed to be remembering? Anyway, my point is simply that the same event can be described in many different ways. ASTV are going to describe what happened in one way (and if you've ever read their website, you'll know what a poisonous way that is likely to be). This then passes through the Nation, who hardly have the highest of news values and you get - surprise, surprise - the Nation's 400th story of the day about the alleged iniquities of this government. I'm not saying these people didn't get a hard time from the police. Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Maybe the police had good cause, maybe they didn't but I'd want to see it from someone a little more reliable than ASTV/The Nation before I passed judgement.

Don't bother!

Our friend here, with a name that for some reason is very close to "moron", does not care for logic and reason!

Of course you are right, wearing a yellow arm band is ample reason to be beaten by people who are supposed to be impartial and uphold the law of the land.

Well wear the proper dam_n credentials.....

Simple really.

A pity really. "Reporter without Borders" had moved Thailand up in 2011, but incidents like this will push the score down again.

I find it somewhat amazing to read posters writing about three reporters almost as if 'they asked for it', whereas the two killed in 2010 were obviously victims of the non-elected elite with their figure head who went on (doctored) tape with 'kill me some'.

• Like 2

A pity really. "Reporter without Borders" had moved Thailand up in 2011, but incidents like this will push the score down again.

I find it somewhat amazing to read posters writing about three reporters almost as if 'they asked for it', whereas the two killed in 2010 were obviously victims of the non-elected elite with their figure head who went on (doctored) tape with 'kill me some'.

Double standards and red lense glasses are matching accessories.

Don't bother!

Our friend here, with a name that for some reason is very close to "moron", does not care for logic and reason!

If you read my post you will see that logic and reason were applied whereas blaming 4 separate news outlets for the same story seems completely the opposite.

If you need some help with this, ask a friend (if you have one)

As stated so many times above, and then ignored by so many posters after that, just wear identification showing that you are a member of the press. Do not apply armbands given to you by one of the protesting groups. Don't say everyone knows who I am so I don't need to wear anything. Ridiculous, and very big-headed. Good Example: Everyone knows that I always drive down one-way streets the wrong way. Why do I have to stop doing this? Again, ridiculous. Life is so easy my friends, when you just think ahead, and follow logic.

I find it somewhat amazing that someone should compare the tragic deaths of reporters by the army in 2010 with the very professional police action last month.Guess he follows his political prejudices rather than examining the facts.

I find it somewhat amazing that someone should compare the tragic deaths of reporters by the army in 2010 with the very professional police action last month.Guess he follows his political prejudices rather than examining the facts.

Dear jayboy, for someone who has studied at one of the finer Universities in England I'm a bit disappointed with the logic in your sentences. Surely it should be comparing 'tragic deaths of reporters by the army' with 'very professional police action against improperly identified reporters' or something similar. The bold part I added makes the comparision possible, although doesn't state much about the circumstances. It probably states more about someones political prejudices rather than examining facts.

Mind you, the RSF wouldn't accept your argument I'm afraid. Even if improperly identified professional behaviour doesn't call for 'assault first, ask questions later', at least not in most proper countries. Had the protesters and the reporters amongst them been shooting and killing the police that would have been another matter of course. Luckily this lot was not out for mayhem wink.png