Max 4 Land Border Crossings.

Made a quick border crossing at Maesot yesterday and on my re-entry into Thailand, I was pulled over and told quite firmly that the maximum number of consecutive land border crossings ( 14 days stay ) is now 4.

After that, you have to get a "real" visa.

I was shown the immigration internal memo dated Nov21 instructing border offices to this effect.

I think this will affect a lot of people.

If you have done more than four, they have to question you about this and why, and what you are doing in Thailand.

Good luck.

A few years ago the same policy was enforced for a max of three crossings.

• Like 1

Your post is the first about this, and have not seen any other reports.

It is normal that they can question you about what you do in Thailand if you continuesly stay in Thailand on tourist visas or visa exempt entries.

They were quite clear about it being a policy change.

Let's see what happens.

I personally can not understand why anybody would want to do 4 border runs instead of making a visa run for a tourist visa.

The cost would be less or only slightly more to get a 2 entry tourist visa in Vientiane that would give you a 6 month stay.

Of course if somebody is working illegally they might not be able to take the time off to get a tourist visa. Which is exactly why immigration reduced the border entries to 15 days. And now is apparently again limiting the number of border runs to 4.

Edited by ubonjoe

We have heard quite a lot of those stories that after 4 consecutive land border crossings at the same point of entry could raise questions from the immigration officers.

But I never saw this really enforced.

Edited by lopburi3
fix font

A further piece of advice if going to Mae Sot, make sure you take a passport or a good copy or Immigration police will turn you back. We came from Tak to go shopping in Mae Sot for a few hours, which is something we do on every trip, but without my passport, but this time we were not allowed to continue the journey after the 4th checkpoint, just after the big market. Apparently they are actually doing their job properly at some of the checkpoints and are checking all IDs. The police told me that foreigners were all being sent back if they had no ID.

A bit annoying, but if it catches drugs then thats fine with me.

Perhaps my contribution is a bit brrrrrrr...... when you think you know the rules, they change them. Why this visa issue all the time? Countries like Cambodia are very simple with providing visa. Just PAY 260 US to a visa office and the next day you have a year visa. No questions, No forms, No passphotos. Just hand in your passport and 260 US.

I would gladly pay more to the Thai Government, if I can simply have a new visa in my own province. ALL that trouble and being annoyed. Even to stamp every 3 months is a robbery. Thousants of waist Thai Bath, which I better can give to the Thai Officials, then waist it on other country visas, fuell, food and a stay overnight somewhere on the trip.

Have fun

• Like 2

I personally can not understand why anybody would want to do 4 border runs instead of making a visa run for a tourist visa.

<snip>

I think for example for People who have too many TR's in their passport this is their only solution (but they also can fly out and come back and get 30 Days wink.png )

Edited by MJCM

Why this visa issue all the time?

The answer is quite simple, they want us to come here, spend our money then leave.

Very few people on marriage, retirement, business or education visas or extensions ahve any problems at all. They comply with the Immigration laws and have no problems.

The immigration office I use is 125km away and they always seem happy to see most farangs on return visits.

• Like 1

Every country has it's immigration rules. Just because an illegal immigrant is spending money in a country, it doesn't give him/her a right to stay. For instance; just because an illegal immigrant Nigerian is spending money in a local Costcutter in South London they do not have a right to remain in the UK for that reason alone. I am sure many other examples can be contributed.

Why this visa issue all the time?

The answer is quite simple, they want us to come here, spend our money then leave.

Not really true. If you come as a tourist, you say that you will leave within a fairly short period of stay. If you want to stay longer, or you want to make money instead of only spending it, there are other kinds of visas.

I have been here for 22 years and have no problems at all.

<snip>

I think for example for People who have too many TR's in their passport this is their only solution (but they also can fly out and come back and get 30 Days wink.png )

This is true of course but as I understand it there is a maximum of three 30 day tourist entries in any 6 month period.

The cost would be less or only slightly more to get a 2 entry tourist visa in Vientiane that would give you a 6 month stay.

I would do border runs if I stayed about 50km from Burma border. And Malaysia make it 100km. Burma entries $10, Malaysia free and don't forget dutyfree :)

I find this thread and OP particularly interesting, considering that not so long ago, OP was bragging about owning a factory with a few dozen employees, company opened through BOI and was able to compete with China and Vietnam making fish hooks(something like mango fishing), but now as it turns out he does visa runs?whistling.gif

Always thought company's opened through BOI, the owners had proper visa's instead of 14 day stamps

Even more strange when he claimed to be married to a Thai with kids.

I guess it's hard to remember the truth when frequently lying.

I find this thread and OP particularly interesting, considering that not so long ago, OP was bragging about owning a factory with a few dozen employees, company opened through BOI and was able to compete with China and Vietnam making fish hooks(something like mango fishing), but now as it turns out he does visa runs?whistling.gif

Always thought company's opened through BOI, the owners had proper visa's instead of 14 day stamps

Over to you Philw!!!!!

<snip>

This is true of course but as I understand it there is a maximum of three 30 day tourist entries in any 6 month period.

The Thai consulate in Los Angeles says something similar on their website http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_visa_detail.aspx?link_id=28

Passport holders from the countries below can visit Thailand without a visa for the maximum of 30 days stay per entry with a total peroid of stay not exceeding 90 days within 6 months from the date of first entry into the kingdom. To enter the kingdom using 30-DAY STAY WITHOUT VISA again , this can be done after the first 6 months ( from the first date you enter thailand).

As to what the ground truth is unsure.png

Over to you Philw!!!!!

Certainly.

It is simply none of "lemoncakes" business why i choose to do border crossings at Maesot or Maesai.

Simple really.

He must be a rather frustrated stalker, with a grudge.

Of course if somebody is working illegally they might not be able to take the time off to get a tourist visa. Which is exactly why immigration reduced the border entries to 15 days. And now is apparently again limiting the number of border runs to 4.

There's a huge number of Filipinos who are working illegally in Thailand who use this method to stay in Thailand. This is going to cause them no end of trouble. I feel sorry for them actually, but it's not exactly surprising news.

Back to back tourist visas are also limited.

Your post is the first about this, and have not seen any other reports.

It is normal that they can question you about what you do in Thailand if you continuesly stay in Thailand on tourist visas or visa exempt entries.

Well, if they start counting from November 21, it'll be January before the sh*t really hits the fan.

About 3 years ago (2009 - 2010) they were numbering land border re-entries - then for some reason they stopped.

Edited by tropo

Over to you Philw!!!!!

Certainly.

It is simply none of "lemoncakes" business why i choose to do border crossings at Maesot or Maesai.

Simple really.

He must be a rather frustrated stalker, with a grudge.

You've been on here a long time, long enough to have a fish hook biz and several marriages then back to visa runs. I dont doubt your sincerity

There's a huge number of Filipinos who are working illegally in Thailand who use this method to stay in Thailand. This is going to cause them no end of trouble. I feel sorry for them actually, but it's not exactly surprising news.

Back to back tourist visas are also limited.

Tropo, you feel sorry for illegal workers?