Pattaya Gambling House

sweitzerland

I live across the street from a gambling house across from the land office in South Pattaya. They are so bold. The police even parks his car in front of the place on most days, in his official vehicle. We reported the crime to the Pattaya police department so many times, but are not getting any help. I also reported it to the tourist police and they are ignoring it too unfortanetely. I believe that everyone on this street has reported the daily gambling to the Pattaya police department. They made one arrest about 3 or 4 weeks ago. After that, the people that go there told us to our face that nothing will happen again because they are paying the right police this time. We have made online reports as well and anonymous tips too. The Thai neighbors have called reporting it and the farang. I think every person on this soi has called the police almost daily. We cant even sleep due to the motorbike traffic going in and out. Its terrible. The customers that go there are threatening us to make things worse. They told us that if we keep calling, they will take us out. What should we do? The location is at

Sweiterland

Edited by endure
Address removed to comply with name & shame rules and also for OP's own safety

Unfortunately, you can't do much.

It's not about "paying the right BIB". In any case, if you do something against Thais, you may occasionally become a victim of "random" crime.

I guess, the best approach is just to move from your place. The sooner the better. Regardless if they close the gamblers' or not.

I cant just ignore it because I have a teenage boy and family. I own the house and have lived there for many years. I cant even get out of my parking spot due to the mass of cars that are parked up against the gate. The traffic going in and out at night keep me from sleeping. They average one motorbike per 3 or 4 minutes. It is extremely busy and we live on a dead end street. The customers there have threatened us and are drugs or very drunk which scares my wife. She used to walk the dog and talk with the neighbors, but now she is scared that she will get raped or hurt badly. Every person on this street are worried to death, not just the farang, the Thai too. It is way passed being ignored. I live in Pattaya. I know what it means to have things going on that you might not like. With that being said, this is unbearable and unsafe.

Without sounding to dramatic you and your family are definitely at risk as you personally are known to have complained. I would suggest your wife go to Pattaya City Council or meet with the head of your local Amphur office to raise this matter as well as letting them know you and your family have been threatened. Do not waste her time talking to front office staff, she has to meet with the highest level of management. Let the Thais sort it out, don't get involved any further.

It sounds like your wife does not have any local connections for protection, so whilst it is a major inconvenience, if I were in your shoes I would rent alternative accommodation until the issue has been resolved. Put a for sale sign outside your house so that they think you have permanently moved.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

Their is a government anti corruption department you could contact them, alternatively go above the local police and contact the area commander in Chonburi. The problem is having complained before if any action is taken then you will become a target .

Sorry to hear about this, but it is one of the joys of living here in Thailand. You do need to move if you are going to keep reporting this to the, local police, as the crime that is run in Pattaya is not run by the "locals", it is in fact run from BKK. Writing a letter to the Governor or Mayor, is not going to help either, unfortunately you are all in between a rock and a hard place. The fact that it is happening outside an official building, should send out warning bells to you all in the first place, then the fact that the police are parking their official vehicles there also would send a second barrage of warning bells.

The only thing worth trying, is to take it to the BKK office of the anti corruption department (as JohnC mentions), with your Thai neighbours, as anything within the Chon Buri and Pattaya area will not stop this.

If you have been threatened, then as you are a family, you need to get away from the danger and protect your family. This will not go away.

Sorry to hear about this, but it is one of the joys of living here in Thailand. You do need to move if you are going to keep reporting this to the, local police, as the crime that is run in Pattaya is not run by the "locals", it is in fact run from BKK. Writing a letter to the Governor or Mayor, is not going to help either, unfortunately you are all in between a rock and a hard place. The fact that it is happening outside an official building, should send out warning bells to you all in the first place, then the fact that the police are parking their official vehicles there also would send a second barrage of warning bells.

The only thing worth trying, is to take it to the BKK office of the anti corruption department (as JohnC mentions), with your Thai neighbours, as anything within the Chon Buri and Pattaya area will not stop this.

If you have been threatened, then as you are a family, you need to get away from the danger and protect your family. This will not go away.

What you have said may be correct, but not necessarily so.

There are many different factions, influences and 'powers and within powers' at play in Pattaya City.

IMHO, this sounds much more likely to be a local Pattaya police-protected gambling operation, than one that enjoys a wider scale of protection. It is even possible, although unlikely, that it may just involve one section of Pattaya's finest and there may be other local sections who are not involved.

I wouldn't be too sure that a complaint to the head honchos at City Hall or to the Governor's office in Chon Buri wouldn't prompt some action - even if it is only to move the gambling den to a new location to stop all the adverse publicity.

I totally concur about the dangers involved in trying to take any action and strongly recommend that any complaints should also involve the participation of other local, respected Thai residents, as there may be some safety in numbers.

Good luck.

Corruption as we know is part of living in Thailad. Gambling although illegal wont always be investigated as many of the players are police or officials. You stated that drugs are possibly in use, this fortunatly is a more serious offence that will be investigated. There is a phone number and email address you can annonmously report drug offenders to. A quick Google will give you the details.....maybe this would bring an end to the use of the property if drugs are indeed present

Edited by PattayaPhom
  • Like 1

A beautiful summation of living in Pattaya!

Thank you every one who chose to contribute.

So, lets be clear then: move or your family will be hurt.

That is the considered wisdom based upon the fact that the law doesn't exist; there's no one to help. Quality of life has bombed, a man is in fear of his wife being raped; worse, himself being killed.

Wonderful!

Absolutely wonderful. Crystal clear.

Any criminal can do whatever they want with impunity but ordinary decent residents [house owner] is powerless to protect their family or assets. And the collective advice amounts to ...................... move.

Anyone still thinking of 'buying'??????????????????????????????????

Class act gangsters should take care of their neighbours though & I don't mean that in the nasty way. Nothing is for free even for these people.

It does seem that the OP & his family are in danger & he must protect them.

He's at war & there are perils with that so a plan of action is neccessary.

I wish him & his family all the best & do not envy the situation that they are in.

This is Thailand, Im sorry for u m8 but u better pack ur bags ASAP. Cos hospital food or worse will happen. Gambling and Prostitution is illegal here, Ty and stop it at ur peril, Another daily learning curb

Bit OTTP......try living in Tower Hamlets, Haringay etc etc etc..........darnt go out some people.

Edited by PattayaPhom

I don't think it's a very good idea to say where you live when denouncing this sort of thing. Bit late now though.

You think they will murder the whole neighbourhood?

Probably not, but it really wouldn't be very hard to work out who someone is from the description that was given.

Anyway, if I was doing the denouncing I would certainly not be advertising the fact.

Record the comings and goings (make sure to get the license plates of any 'important' people going there) and post them to Youtube.... cc the videos to Chuwit, and also the RTP (headquarters, not Cholburi...).

Do yourself a favor and do it anonymously.

:)

Thanks guys, you have been very helpful and sparked a lot of thought of what my options are. I did actually write down license plates of cars for weeks and reported them, as well as the license plate of the police that parks his car there. Nothing happened. I think you are right about getting all of the Thai involved, and in numbers. I will check on the anti corruption website to see if there is soomewhere that I can actually send an email, or if I need to call. I am so scared to keep reporting this in person. I wish I could simply send an anonymous tip and have it all work out. Also, if I go to the district commander of the police department in Chonburi, that will paint me with a huge red flag as well. Even if heads roll in the department, who is to say mine wont either. Isnt it sad to think that I may end up on the local news for slipping on a banana peel and killing myself. If you see a foriegner get taken out a hundred meters away from the land office in South Pattaya, you will know what happened. I am going to try and do it anonymously from now on, but I am not sure if that is possible when going that far up the ladder. Dangit man, do I really need to sell my house and move away as well? I dont even care if anyone of them get in trouble, I just want to feel safe again... for whatever that means. The governers office may be the way to go also.

Obituary: Local farang found jumping out of one story window to his death over a local Thai cat defecating in his pillow case.

Looking at your nick you use here, you may ask a mod to delete this thread. Guess there are not too many guys living from the country you indicate on that soi. At least I am not aware of a village called New Glarus or similiar around Pattaya.