Rimping To Open Three New Branches In 2013

jko

I would think they could build a dozen with the huge mark up on the food they sell. Turkey was double the price of Mackro.whistling.gif

What a load of old tosh. Some things are pricier, but most of the generic items are the same as the pauper stores. However, I'd sooner pay treble for a good quality turkey and checkout in 30 seconds via a pretty babe with a genuine smile than spend half the day getting to a Macro checkout overseen by an old grouch. whistling.gif

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shop at at diff. rimpings for diff things and esp. diff. Makros for the same reason (hiway 11 has much less imported stuff than Hang Dong for ex. but I like the fish best at Mae Rim branch) and diff. talats again to buy what I want knowing who has good veg etc. The cashiers at Makro always are nice.

I would think they could build a dozen with the huge mark up on the food they sell. Turkey was double the price of Mackro.whistling.gif

I think you're absolutely right about Makro having cheaper prices in general but lots of times you have to buy multiple items of something when you need only one. Like 5 bags of sugar! This is good for the small time merchants who load up their vans there but not so good for other customers. Makro does have surprisingly good produce and at cheap prices too. They also have decent cheese and wine sections.

Having said that, I like Rimping especially for its bakeries (very good bread), huge cheese and wine sections and so on. Their stores are also very clean and bright and easy to find things in. I think using both Makro (for better prices) and Rimping for one item items (!) and their bakeries works out really well. I also like their free bags.

I've found friendly and helpful workers at both stores.

Edited by TheVicar

What a load of old tosh. Some things are pricier, but most of the generic items are the same as the pauper stores. However, I'd sooner pay treble for a good quality turkey and checkout in 30 seconds via a pretty babe with a genuine smile than spend half the day getting to a Macro checkout overseen by an old grouch. whistling.gif

Some people move here to Chiang Mai to enjoy life.

Some move here to grouch.

For those wondering about too many Rimpings, let me suggest that our fair city is growing apace. Not tourists, but Bangkokians will shape our future (mostly). I'd be surprised to not see our local region's population double or worse during the next ten years. Our 'small' and 'do-able' city will soon be a thing of the past, a Pai phenomenon writ large.

Nobody's mentioned Rimping's true contributions: Bulk wine; air-con almost equal to 7-11, and Mozart. At River Rimping, coffee and something baked in the rear of the store when the shopping's done on a hot day. (Fruit and fresh vegetables, on the other hand, are better purchased in the early morn, in the open markets, to be sure.)

IMAO

It's true about Mozart but I wish they'd get more than one of his recordings and play it! I cannot count how many times I've gone into different Rimpings and heard the same music in the background. Mozart actually wrote lots of music but you'd never know it from visiting Rimping. Their "bulk wine" (3 bottles for B 1,000) really isn't much of a bargain because it's so bad. It's cheap screw top wine. You have to spend about B 400 for a drinkable bottle. AND wine prices are exactly the same at Makro (and I suspect other places too because of the Thai taxes being the same everywhere). Rimping does have its attractions (their bakeries and cheese sections especially) but its produce is way, way overpriced.

I agree with your observations about CM's future growth.

Edited by TheVicar

...and 3 additional outlets are very welcome.

I disagree. 4 is plenty for a small city like this. Why not just knock down all the 700 year old temples and make room to build more condos, convenience stores and the like?

Shops are the "new temples" sad.png

Amen, Brother Smith!

Tops is going to be in some of the new malls. No point to have both Tops and Rimping markets in one place. Redundant.

Why not. You can't hold a candle to Rimping, IMO. Tops is mutton dressed as lamb, is more expensive, and none too friendly either.

I was thinking from a business standpoint and being profitable. Do they build big grocery stores next to each other anywhere in the world? I think usually they want to spread out to meet demand.

Would be great to have more Rimpings from a consumer perspective.

I am not sure about their current pricing policy but prices used to vary from branch to branch. When asked they said they charged higher prices at the sites that had higher rents!

I think I like that. The alternative is the Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Starbucks et al model where you are paying the same in their Emporium Bangkok branch as you do in some crummy shophouse on the Sankypeng Road in Chiang Mai. Because that means that we are paying extra to subsidize the prices in high profile areas.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I am not sure about their current pricing policy but prices used to vary from branch to branch. When asked they said they charged higher prices at the sites that had higher rents!

I think I like that. The alternative is the Pizza Hut, McDonalds, Starbucks et al model where you are paying the same in their Emporium Bangkok branch as you do in some crummy shophouse on the Sankypeng Road in Chiang Mai. Because that means that we are paying extra to subsidize the prices in high profile areas.

I remember many years ago living in Vancouver B C where they did an investigation on Safeway stores a Large chain of Grocery stores in The States and Canada.

They found that many items had different prices on them from store to store.

Why expect the western system to be different when they are in different Countries. It is part of what so many expats call modernizing Thailand.

re.

I cannot count how many times I've gone into different Rimpings and heard the same music in the background.

your wish has beeen granted : )

in nim city today they were playing the holly and the ivy , jingle bells

away in a manger etc

enjoy the canadian specials ...... dave2

post-42592-0-71989800-1354533908_thumb.j

re.

I cannot count how many times I've gone into different Rimpings and heard the same music in the background.

your wish has beeen granted : )

in nim city today they were playing the holly and the ivy , jingle bells

away in a manger etc

enjoy the canadian specials ...... dave2

Canadian promotion eh? Maybe they will drop the price of maple syrup by 66%!laugh.png

I was thinking from a business standpoint and being profitable. Do they build big grocery stores next to each other anywhere in the world?

Yes, they do. The USA comes to mind.

Well I live in the USA... Lake Tahoe and Palm Springs..

I'm telling you they don't put grocery stores next to each other. Unless your counting Walmart being near a Sam's club.

Where is the Promenada Resort Mall?

Three minutes drive from Big C at Don Chan.

Exit the Big C area using the small road where the the fish tank and garden shops are located, quickly you will come to an outer / major road, Promenada is 200 or so metres along that road on your left side. It's huge, opening is delayed, now planned for end of April 2013.

I heard the Rimping at this location will be very large and will be on two floors. Can't wait, only 10 minutes or less drive from my house.

Staff in all of their locations all seem to be happy, and I heard that the owner is a good employer.

Agree about the staff being friendly and helpful, at all of their locations. I mostly use the branch near Airport Plaza, and every time I've asked about something they have tried hard to get an answer.

For those wondering about too many Rimpings, let me suggest that our fair city is growing apace. Not tourists, but Bangkokians will shape our future (mostly). I'd be surprised to not see our local region's population double or worse during the next ten years. Our 'small' and 'do-able' city will soon be a thing of the past, a Pai phenomenon writ large.

Nobody's mentioned Rimping's true contributions: Bulk wine; air-con almost equal to 7-11, and Mozart. At River Rimping, coffee and something baked in the rear of the store when the shopping's done on a hot day. (Fruit and fresh vegetables, on the other hand, are better purchased in the early morn, in the open markets, to be sure.)

IMAO

It's true about Mozart but I wish they'd get more than one of his recordings and play it! I cannot count how many times I've gone into different Rimpings and heard the same music in the background. Mozart actually wrote lots of music but you'd never know it from visiting Rimping. Their "bulk wine" (3 bottles for B 1,000) really isn't much of a bargain because it's so bad. It's cheap screw top wine. You have to spend about B 400 for a drinkable bottle. AND wine prices are exactly the same at Makro (and I suspect other places too because of the Thai taxes being the same everywhere). Rimping does have its attractions (their bakeries and cheese sections especially) but its produce is way, way overpriced.

I agree with your observations about CM's future growth.

Well vicar,I cant agree with you regarding the 3 for 1000 baht at Rimping. Bare in mind that in Thailand most wines will not have been stored in ideal temperatures,so a quality wine is unlikely to fulfill any great promise...especialy the reds.

I have bought quite a lot of the Rimping wines and have found in particular the Chile Whites to be quite drinkable. Maybe your quasi religious name means you have been at the communium wine?? and who shops in Rimping for the pleasure of listening to music??

• Like 1

Several years ago we got some undrinkable 3/1000 baht wines from Rim Ping, but not recently. And we mostly buy red wines. I think they've really tried to improve the quality of those wines and they put some of the best in the baskets upfront in their display at Nim City.

I, too, scratched my head at their rencent "Canadian food" promotion. I like the promotions from other countries, like the U.S., Australia, Japan, New Zealand, etc and have tried some new products as a result. But, I couldn't find any Canadian products on special at the Nim City branch earlier this week.

Comparing Rim Ping to Macro is kind of like comparing Whole Foods to Sam's Club -- maybe not a totally good comparison, but the point is that each store serves different market segments. One of the great things about Chiang Mai is that we have both Macro and Rim Ping.

I visited Rimping the first time today. I have to say it's got items where other stores don't have. Item that other stores have, Rimping is generally more expensive; but then, nobody forces anybody to buy them. I bought four sesame rolls at B7 a piece as they looked good. The lady put them in a brown bag and put a tab of B220. I saw it after a few minutes and returned to get it corrected with much apology from the sales lady. My wife bought some cooking wine along with some other stuff. She commented that the papaya was expensive, at B65. Don't know if it's for each piece or per kilo. She didn't buy. I played a trick on her. I picked up a slab of kobe beef, marked about B11,000, and put it in the cart. She saw it later and was screaming..... And you know what I did! ...Well, it's a good store I would say if you just pick up what you really like but can't find it elsewhere.

Oh, I saw frozen cod available (someone has asked in the forum). It's not too bad at B495 a kilo. I also saw Dory fillet at not very expensive price. Is Dory considered a better than average fish. I bought some fish (don't know what it was) last week and tried to make fish/shrimp balls out from it. It was a failure. The fish/shrimp balls didn't come out "bouncy " like I did with pork and chicken. I think it's the fish that I used. Well, better luck next time...

A couple of months back while in the States, I made Turkey balls and came out bouncy. My daughter, son, and other relatives enjoyed it, also the other items. I fried a plain bitter mellon and it was proclaimed as excellent even from my brother whose wife is a good cook. The problem in CM is finding good seafood at reasonable prices. I have relatives coming and they love seafood and I'm scratching my head where to buy to cook for them. Sure, Holiday Inn Sunday buffet is on the agenda, but then, what next?

Tops and Rimping are fairly different but there just aren't that many products in Thailand. I would estimate well over 60% are the same products.. I'm talking total inventory side by side.

Whole foods and Sam's club I don't see being that similar in terms of overlap.

Would be great if they put Rimping and Tops in the same place. I live near the new Maya center and I think its getting a Tops. Would be great to see both there.

http://www.livingthai.org/construction-of-maya-shopping-mall-chiang-mai.html

Let us know if that 11,000 THB slab of Kobe beef was worth it! I think in over 24 years of visiting or living in Thailand I've eaten beef about 10 times or less. About 5 of those times have been at the Dukes here in Chiang Mai and once at the Sizzler in Hat Yai where I ordered the only steak I've ever had in Thailand. Beef is no good here if you order it at a Thai restaurant. But I don't miss it so much that I would spend 11,000 THB for a decent slab.

"Let us know if that 11,000 THB slab of Kobe beef was worth it!"

elektrified, you didn't think I bought it, did you? Please read my post again.wai2.gif

I wouldn't buy it for B1,100, though I can blow several times of that just chatting in a bar for a couple of hours especially after having an argument with my wife.whistling.gif

• Like 1

I live near the new Maya center and I think its getting a Tops. Would be great to see both there.

http://www.livingtha...chiang-mai.html

It's hard to believe the guy who runs that website referred to above makes enough money from it to live here. People actually subscribe to it to learn "how to get laid by a university student in 3 hours" (and then stiff her on the bowl of noodles you promised her), "Why Thai girls pee in the shower", and other 'interesting' and educational topics!

I agree with Lawrence. They have a great layout that makes you feel good when shopping there. Go to Tops at Huay Kaew mall and see if you get the same feeling with shelves that are constantly empty.

Tops used to be good. They never recovered after the floods. The shelves are always empty at all the locations. The simplest items can't be found there anymore.

I like Rimping a lot, but seriously there are plenty of them already.

But not in the south (Hang Dong).

The new one at Kad Farang will be most welcome.

I agree with Lawrence. They have a great layout that makes you feel good when shopping there. Go to Tops at Huay Kaew mall and see if you get the same feeling with shelves that are constantly empty.

Tops used to be good. They never recovered after the floods. The shelves are always empty at all the locations. The simplest items can't be found there anymore.

I am certain I have shopped at Rimping in Hang Dong. And I thought it was in Kad Farang. Or am I imagining this???blink.png

I am certain I have shopped at Rimping in Hang Dong. And I thought it was in Kad Farang. Or am I imagining this???blink.png

yes, perhaps you have. That's the mini one. New big one being built opposite. Drive thru Macca's and or KFC as well..