What Did She Say ?

kangeroo

Hello .

Arriving back at my room a few months ago i walked past security and saw a thai lady that i did say hello to before and was really pleasant but as she walked past security and grabbed her id card she screamed .. HOOPBAA ..several times and walked down the soi with her nose in the air.

I have got a clue that she was not happy , has anyone out there have a accurate explanation of what it means ?

Cheers .

Definitely 'shut your mouth'

Nutters everywhere, I can beat that.

A couple of weeks back I was at a roadside coffee bar in CM with a bunch of pals, minding our own business when a young white English girl walked by and screamed 'who you gawping at'. We looked, and she was indeed unsuitably dressed for the city.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

You are mad.

That is "Pi Baa!". Not sure on the phonetic spelling. Hoop Baa, (Thai script removed) hùp bpàak shut up ; keep quiet

Edited by metisdead
: This is an English language forum, if you want to post in Thai script, go over to the Thai language forum.

ok, Shut your mouth ok thanks you learn something every day i thought shut up was sawwow or something close to that ha ha ha .

You are probably hearing "Wow Laos" phrases, as in "sawwow" they are saying "shut your mouth" in Laos.

...anything in this country outside of being totally polite, is rude...

That's oversimplifying by quite a ways. Thai -- like presumably any language --can be informal or formal (won't get into that used in religious terms or the forms used with or about royalty). Friends and relatives aren't "totally polite" with each other nor are they being rude.