Rubbish

I was wondering myself but apparently a truck or trucks have broken down............ That's my local inside information.

You are talking garbage Limbos biggrin.png

sorry.gif I could not resist a cheesy joke

or

The mayor organised the garbage build up so that he could say "see what happens when I am not here!"

• Like 1

I was wondering myself but apparently a truck or trucks have broken down............ That's my local inside information.

You are talking garbage Limbos biggrin.png

sorry.gif I could not resist a cheesy joke

or

The mayor organised the garbage build up so that he could say "see what happens when I am not here!"

It's starting to smell like Gorgonzola.....biggrin.pngsick.gif tastes better than it smells ... the Soi dogs are happy!! whistling.gif

I guess the garbage collectors have to get caught up after the holiday! tongue.png

• Like 1

could it be something to do where it is eventually disposed off,to do with power being off,so they dont bother to pick up till the power is back on

I do not think so. The garbage had been building up here on Soi 7 (Plai Laem) since before the power cuts. Slowly getting cleared now, but still lots of garbage around.

The smell must be lovely with all this sunshine instead of rain

Put a new twist on my gardner's name Pong.

Are we having a "Big C" moment here....Rooo ??? biggrin.png

That's your gardener I assume, who's name is Pong... sorry.gifbut just could not resist !!! tongue.png

Getting back on topic, whistling.gif some of the piles are getting smaller, I think they are having to make several trips to clear some of them! ....... or else the Soi dogs are getting very fat!!! sick.gif

That's your gardener I assume, who's name is Pong... sorry.gifbut just could not resist !!! tongue.png

Getting back on topic, whistling.gif some of the piles are getting smaller, I think they are having to make several trips to clear some of them! ....... or else the Soi dogs are getting very fat!!! sick.gif

pong Aussie slang for stink.

pong Aussie slang for stink.

Yes it was your spelling of gardener.....whistling.gif "Pong" is pretty universal for stink..... tongue.png

The trucks that are working are now working all day. They are slowly clearing the large piles of rubbish but.......

....we are generating more and more rubbish as we move into silly season. I think that there will be a lot of Pongs about the placewhistling.gif

and a few POMS too ! tongue.png opps or should that be POME's

Edited by samuijimmy

i was told by the tesa baan that the rubbish has been given to a private company.

i think the workers have gone on strike

as to the mayor forget him. i am running for something different.

it has been a while since there has been a change in gods so i thought i might run for god.

accept me as your god and i promise you some changes

• 2 weeks later...

It still amazes me how many large piles of garbage there is sitting around the island...

In driving around the island today, I saw one garbage truck and that was in the Taling Gnam area (or is that Thaling Gnam ?)

The pile at the end of my Soi, was put on fire a few days ago, all the plastic cans burnt along with some of the crap... I suspect the near by resort owner had had enough of the smell! sick.gif

The locals don't seem to be able to give an answer to why there is a problem... diesel must be back by now???

I can't imagine they are on strike, that only happens in western countries, surely ? rolleyes.gif

• 4 weeks later...

More garbage / rubbish problems!!!

Yesterday, this sign, pictured below, appeared at a garbage drop off point, that has been there for several years and used by many residents of Soi 4 and 5 in Maenam....

Although, most of the garbage (probably 90%) here, comes from one of the camps, for Thai / Burmese workers... the pile becomes huge every few days.

The sign, apparently says some like, "Don't put garbage here. Fine 2000 baht" ... blah blah...

But gives no alternative as to where to dump... This dump was being cleared at about mid night last night... I saw that driving by.... but already this morning bags appeared taking no heed of the warning ...(anyone surprised! ?)

IMG_4271.JPG

No one locally seems to have an answer, I've spoken to a few Thais and "local farangs" today, as to an alternative, which no one seems to have an answer..... .Personally, I use the plastic bins, at a different location, and let the recyclers pickup tins and plastic etc.

It seems to me, that the farang owners of the camp, should take some responsibility and make alternative arrangements...perhaps arrange direct pick up at the camp?..... and not burn it as they used to do, as that is not acceptable solution ... the stench of that used to affect residents over a large area of regular and high end homes, plus resorts in the area .... bah.gif ) ...

Jimmy - please do not start me off on this one.

Most farangs on the island do not pay for garbage collection.

Where I am, the garbos are collecting almost every day. They do sometimes miss a day due to 'not enough time to collect all of the crapp'.

This is Peak Season mak mak. More garbage now than any other time.

Where I live, I have noticed that the garbos are collecting the household rubbish, but NOT collecting the other stuff that we are not supposed to leave. Some years ago, the mayor sent out a general letter in the press asking the residents to ........

Only put out household rubbish - in black bags between the hours of 7 pm and 7 am. (Keep the island looking tidy.)

Do not put out - leaf litter, garden rubbish, building waste and other materials, no styrafoam packaging materials and the like. These cannot be handled by the incinerator and should be deposited at land fill sites.

Unfortunately there is a sentiment here on Samui that 'I will dump whatever <deleted> I like - and blame the government for the fallout'

Personally, I think that the garbos do a great job under crapppy conditions. All everyone here does is complain about them. How many of you have given them a tip this Christmas (common in the UK)? How many of you pay the fee? Consider the amount of govenrment tax in your own country - and they only come once a week or whatever. AND you have to seperate your own <deleted>. How many of you say - "it is their fault - they should bill me automatically"?

<deleted> this is a small island in a developing country. The garbos are not the problem - we are.

OK - rant over. BUT the problem will not go away until we ALL pay the fees and act in a responsible manner.

I would love to pay the fee and did for a while, but we're not able to get a green garbage can which should be provided to each house hold. Nobody has turned up for a while to collect the money though.

I pay my fees, NEVER had a garbage truck up here.smile.png

They don't like hills and small roads. I have to drive a mile to get rid of all of my stuff! sad.png

Still rubbish everywhere,the past 2 guests I've had even said how dirty samui was and why was there rubbish everywhere!why doesn't the mayor do anything!not good advertising for the island is it.

What would you suggest that the mayor do?

The residents have ignored his requests to be responsible citizens. whistling.gif

I would love to pay the fee and did for a while, but we're not able to get a green garbage can which should be provided to each house hold. Nobody has turned up for a while to collect the money though.

Yep - I had to buy my own bin in the end. Mind you, I have to dump my garbage at the side of it - it is always filled with everyone else's rubbish laugh.png

• Like 2

Still rubbish everywhere,the past 2 guests I've had even said how dirty samui was and why was there rubbish everywhere!why doesn't the mayor do anything!not good advertising for the island is it.

Then you'll be surprised to hear that last week several passengers from a cruise ship remarked that the first thing that catched their eye when setting foot in Nathon was how clean the streets are! Apparently it was much worse at all their previous ports (Vietnam, Malaysia, more I can't remember), and they were at the end of their journey.

I was rather surprised to hear that myself, but actually they were right, the streets are swept daily here and also the rubbish removal works fairly well.

• Like 1