Ex-Thai Prime Minister Abhisit ' To Face Murder Charge ': Officials

webfact

After the mandatory excursion into all the 'facts' on March - May 2010, can we go back to the OP with

"face a charge of murder over the death of a taxi driver"

The victim was "Phan Khamkong".

On the 17th of September 2012 the Criminal Court ruled that Phan Khamkong, a taxi driver from Yasothon, was shot and killed on May 15, 2010 by troops acting on orders issued by the Centre for the Resolution of Emergency Situations (CRES).

"Phan Kamkong, 43, was caught in a volley of gunfire when he ran out of a central Bangkok apartment block to see what was happening after hearing soldiers open fire at a minibus that had strayed into an area under army control, a Thai criminal court found."

http://www.thaivisa....-death-inquest/

The interesting part is that on the 2nd of November k. Tarit already had said "Evidence and witness testimonies in the case of taxi driver Phan Khamkong, who the court has ruled was killed by security officers in May 2010, are prima facie sufficient for taking legal action against those responsible"

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just about every elected and unelected government leader would and probably should be on trial for murder under these types of allegations

Its time to go home.... It is beyond a joke

bibi - don#'t let the door hit your a**e on the way out

The article for which a link was provided by 'docno' is interesting. Read it. It has all kind of remarks like below. Obviously k. Abhisit/Suthep need to be charged for murder.

"the Red leadership was nowhere to be found. The men who had encouraged tens of thousands to risk their lives in the name of "democracy" - paralyzing the commercial heart of Bangkok in the process - had disappeared and left their followers to fend for themselves."

"Red Shirt protesters could be seen lighting the Chit Lom station of Bangkok's SkyTrain system ablaze, ostensibly to keep soldiers from advancing over the tracks. An hour later, fighters broke into the 45-storey Central World shopping mall, looting and then torching what was once one of the city's most popular destinations."

""We can't go anywhere else. We don't know who will shoot at us.""

"Someone had tossed two fireworks toward the soldiers, who by now were in control of the stage area, drawing a furious response. A gun battle raged in the fading light and into the threatening dark that followed."

"He was still near the front gate, bleeding profusely from six shotgun pellets embedded in his right thigh"

"Long hours passed. The gunfire subsided, then roared again. Mysterious explosions went off in the dark. The panic level rose."

May I add other links, equally damning ?

http://www.thaivisa....00#entry5308387

http://cpj.org/repor...-under-fire.php

Although the artticle is intersting.....

The answer was that the soldiers would then be targeted, and they can’t pick us up. We decided that we had to find a way over the back wall. It became dark. We were told that snipers were on all high-rises, and that another, unknown, force may fight the soldiers, and that therefore it would be impossible to pick us up.

There is however no mention of the taxi driver in that article.

• Like 1

Poor Abhisit, George W Bush should be counting his lucky stars.whistling.gif

As should Tony Blair and many other leaders of governments. This is so totally bullshsit. Going on this premise, Thaksin would be charged with murder of those 1900 plus people killed in the drug war he instigated. Who does the PTP think they are fooling?

The court found that the 43-year-old was caught in a volley of gunfire when he ran out of a central Bangkok apartment block to see what was happening after hearing soldiers open fire at a minibus that had strayed into an area under army control.

Sounds like a clear case of Misadventure,by the unfortunate man. and Capitalised on by PTP.

Well as Truman said the buck stops here so for Abhisit the buck stops with him, but he seemed a decent guy but let Suthep pull his strings. Hope Suthep finally get the long arm of the law feel his collar but doubt it.

"All i want for Christmas is a Red v Yellow thread free day" thumbsup.gif

When it comes to politics I always look what's in it for me. What party is better for the Falang. I have seen the Red of Thaksin and the Yellow followed after it, and of course the Red again. I wish we could mix these 2 into Orange but maybe I lust like Orange because of my background (Holland).

Edited by lhvdberg

"adding that authorities would not seek court permission to detain the men"

That is the scariest government statement I have ever read in Thailand, they are in fact intent on circumventing the courts and the rule of law

Very scary indeed.

Which may be the Governments way of saying: We know the charges against Abhisit don't have a hope in Hel* of sticking.

• Like 1

In reply to someone asking 'wasn't it about time the government was charges after all the UDD and supporters charged'?

The other newspaper has k. Tarit saying

"Mr Tarit said the charges against Mr Abhisit and Mr Suthep would be the first legal charges over the more than 90 deaths that occurred during the 2010 mass rallies."

Those more than 90 include 16 non-red-shirts of which only one was 'friendly fire', the rest just wrong place, wrong time when grenades fell.

only in Thailand

And Adolf Hilter, Slobodan Milosivitch? Pol Pot? Your logic really astounds me!

Interestingly Saloth Sar aka Pol Pot was given safe refuge in Thailand's Trat province during the 80's.

Sure.

Nothing beats a bit of Thai expediency..........

At all levels.

unless he pulled the trigger he didn't murder anyone - rediculous

If a Thai soldier on the ground was trigger happy and there's evidence beyond any reasonable doubt that he killed an inocent taxi driver then he should be brought to court to answer the allegations

only in Thailand

In the U.S. the charge would probably be conspiracy to commit murder. They organized the military crackdown and gave authorization for the military to use "live" rounds on civilians. They both deserve whatever they get.

• Like 1

Wonder if the courts will make charges against Jatupon and the others as their red shirts killed Army personnel. Doubt it very much.

Think the outside world is laughing at Thailand again

What makes you thnk it ever gets much of a chance to stop

What makes you think the world outside Thailand is even paying attention to the world inside Thailand?

BBC World News today 6/12/2012 ran the Story, of Abhisits Indictment, by PTP.

If a Thai soldier on the ground was trigger happy and there's evidence beyond any reasonable doubt that he killed an inocent taxi driver then he should be brought to court to answer the allegations

only in Thailand

In the U.S. the charge would probably be conspiracy to commit murder. They organized the military crackdown and gave authorization for the military to use "live" rounds on civilians. They both deserve whatever they get.

That might be the case if Abhisit's aim was to commit murder.

only in Thailand

That might be the case if Abhisit's aim was to commit murder.

Er...........

Maybe he authorised lethal force in the full knowledge that it would almost certainly result in deaths.

Deaths of unarmed Thai civilians.

Busy tonight eh ???

only in Thailand

Some of the protesters were armed, in the leadup to the mass protest there were calls to burn Bangkok, why would anyone expect unarmed personnel to go up against armed protesters? It is sad that anyone on either side of the fence had to die, but why would the unfortunate taxi driver have come running out of the apartment building when he heard weapons being discharged? Who does that? Wouldn't most people have stayed safely inside for a good length of time after the shooting in that area had stopped before going out to have a look?

Sent from my GT-I9003

Er...........

Maybe he authorised lethal force in the full knowledge that it would almost certainly result in deaths.

Busy tonight eh ???

That doesn't mean that was his aim.

Why are police armed? Why do they have live bullets? Does the fact that they're sent out armed every day and night mean that their superiors are guilty of pre-meditated murder?

• Like 2

Er...........

Busy tonight eh ???

Why are police armed? Why do they have live bullets? Does the fact that they're sent out armed every day and night mean that their superiors are guilty of pre-meditated murder?

Irrelevant and you know it.

Like I said it's a busy night...........

Er...........

Busy tonight eh ???

Irrelevant and you know it.

Like I said it's a busy night...........

Why is irrelevant? The army were out there fighting against armed protesters. Why shouldn't they be armed?

Busy? Obviously not. Plenty of time to post here.

only in Thailand

Some of the protesters were armed, in the leadup to the mass protest there were calls to burn Bangkok, why would anyone expect unarmed personnel to go up against armed protesters? It is sad that anyone on either side of the fence had to die, but why would the unfortunate taxi driver have come running out of the apartment building when he heard weapons being discharged? Who does that? Wouldn't most people have stayed safely inside for a good length of time after the shooting in that area had stopped before going out to have a look?

Sent from my GT-I9003

I quite like your implication that it was some how his fault for having the gall to go outside.

Like the army have no responsibility for discharging their weapons................

Nice try.