Thais And Their Whistles..

rene123

You want to be in Samsung shipyard here in Pusan, Korea.

Standing by a new drill ship getting built and the number of guys with whistles is incredible. They would give your parking guy a run

And the icecream truck sirens on all the cranes. That does your head in after a while.

The Gantry crane going up and down alongside the West Vela, is playing a Xmas tune..... Cannot make it out but it sounds festive??

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its called "spacial awareness"

Any where out side of the U.S. and Western/Northern Europe it does not exist. The latest generation there struggle with this concept also.

The car parking problem is the extreme indicator of this.

Join a queue and have hordes of others cram up your arse - they also go into a dead faint at the thought of you leaving more than 18 inches in front of you. You get ushered to move up. The queue does not go any quicker.

Get on a plane and watch morons trying to fit a large pull along travel bag in the over head locker that wont fit no matter which way you turn it. Then the bloody stewardess joins in and trys all the permutations before dragging it off to a locker some where else.

They never had as children the tub with the square cube, a triangle, a 2 inch round peg and the appropriate holes in the top to drop them through. They have never done a Jig Saw puzzle in their life so cannot match not only shapes but colours as well. They have no concept of how to use a map or even how map reading works even if they do down load GPS "apps" onto their latest iPhone. Give them a compass and they have no idea what is going on or why the red pointer stays in one place.

No idea how to even roughly guess how big a room is in square meters, how large a table top/work top/door/ window is in inches or mm with out a tape measure. And then still get it totally wrong when they deliver the finished products.

Do they care that they do not even have a fraction of these skills ? Do they want a Fallang to tell them how things really work? Not a jot my friends....

The list goes on and on and on and then you give an adult with the mental capacity of an 8 year old a whistle.............

One of the issues with measurement is that the measure is inaccurate. When I have made drawings for furniture or some interior design, I find their tape measure is from nowhereland. And spirit levels, well they are of course related to the nether world.

Its called "spacial awareness"

Any where out side of the U.S. and Western/Northern Europe it does not exist. The latest generation there struggle with this concept also.

The car parking problem is the extreme indicator of this.

Join a queue and have hordes of others cram up your arse - they also go into a dead faint at the thought of you leaving more than 18 inches in front of you. You get ushered to move up. The queue does not go any quicker.

Get on a plane and watch morons trying to fit a large pull along travel bag in the over head locker that wont fit no matter which way you turn it. Then the bloody stewardess joins in and trys all the permutations before dragging it off to a locker some where else.

They never had as children the tub with the square cube, a triangle, a 2 inch round peg and the appropriate holes in the top to drop them through. They have never done a Jig Saw puzzle in their life so cannot match not only shapes but colours as well. They have no concept of how to use a map or even how map reading works even if they do down load GPS "apps" onto their latest iPhone. Give them a compass and they have no idea what is going on or why the red pointer stays in one place.

No idea how to even roughly guess how big a room is in square meters, how large a table top/work top/door/ window is in inches or mm with out a tape measure. And then still get it totally wrong when they deliver the finished products.

Do they care that they do not even have a fraction of these skills ? Do they want a Fallang to tell them how things really work? Not a jot my friends....

The list goes on and on and on and then you give an adult with the mental capacity of an 8 year old a whistle.............

Very funny but unfortunately, very true. > Looks at the gps screen many times and after 4 hours of driving looks me dead in the eye, while over taking on a corner, and says "On the gps, why the red dot not move after drive long time? Is it broken?" I look out the window and make my decision; he's staying in the van when we get to the job. If we make it.

We got a big kick out of one such attendant . .at Pantip Mall or Paragon perhaps. We were walking up the stairs to the parking level where we were parked and the attendant was blowing his whistle while walking up the stairway behind us.

He wasnt paying any attention to us, we were just walking to our car . . . but was obviously just caught up in the sheer joy of having a whistle to blow.

Edited by thaisomchai
  • Like 1

I know this thread is about yet another thing that make Thais look stupid.

I'm sorry if I kill the party now, not the intention.

Just to help some of you (you know who you are),

The whistle is to draw your attention, NOT for the purpose of communication (stop here, go there, etc).

The hand signals and body language in general is the communication.

Oh yes, go to the Philippines, and you see the real masters in action.

wink.png

The whistle is to draw your attention, NOT for the purpose of communication (stop here, go there, etc).

wink.png

There are huge parking lots at malls all over North America. With a few notible exceptions, everyone finds their way safely in and out of them. I've yet to see a whistle blower or anyone guiding the traffic. If a shoe fits, wear it.

Without the whistle blowers, most Thai people would never be able to leave a parking lot.

And this from the guy who had to ask "what to do with a bag of coins" on the Pattaya forum not long ago.

Keep up the good work Einstein.

And there is absolutely no consistency to their whistle commands....they blow to tell you to stop and then blow to tell you to go. I just ignore them and do it my way.

I've got to admit that when I park my truck in a Shopping Mall car park which is quite dark, I am happy with a parking attendant to blow his whistle to help me, but Yes, I have to admit some of them go over the score sometimes, I think everyone knows that the Thais love having authority, wearing uniforms, and particularly making unnecessary noise.
  • Like 1

The question is have you ever been to a park place with NO Parking attendants and no whistles?

A local market I go to a few times a week, parking is marked out about 140 parking spaces........ often just sit and watch in amazement people trying to park.. would appear so many have a problem as to witch way to turn the wheel when reversing, mostly females, appears the younger they are and the smaller the car the more difficult it becomes, saying females and there cars as most of the males drive pickup around here but yes even some of them will take 6 or more attempts in there pickups to get into a space which can be done in 1 or max 2.

Where woman are concerned, that is not just a problem in Thailand.

Without the whistle blowers, most Thai people would never be able to leave a parking lot.

And this from the guy who had to ask "what to do with a bag of coins" on the Pattaya forum not long ago.

Maybe you should get your facts straight , and clean the slurry out of your eyes, before you post insults of other members

I NEVER posted a thread like that on any forum.

The question is have you ever been to a park place with NO Parking attendants and no whistles?

A local market I go to a few times a week, parking is marked out about 140 parking spaces........ often just sit and watch in amazement people trying to park.. would appear so many have a problem as to witch way to turn the wheel when reversing, mostly females, appears the younger they are and the smaller the car the more difficult it becomes, saying females and there cars as most of the males drive pickup around here but yes even some of them will take 6 or more attempts in there pickups to get into a space which can be done in 1 or max 2.

Where woman are concerned, that is not just a problem in Thailand.

And, even being a woman I have to agree with you. The funny thing is that last night a friend and I were having a short conversation in the parking lot of our hotel, when a Thai woman started to TRY and park her little car. It should have been a simple one turn and stop operation, but it took the woman about 10 attempts to get it only partially right. My lady friend said - "Women drivers!" while shaking her head. And then we both laughed.

Maybe you should get your facts straight , and clean the slurry out of your eyes, before you post insults of other members

Yes you're right, I just thought seeing as you posted a load of rubbish then it was okay for me to do the same. And instead of insulting "most Thai People" as you did, I settled just for you, You get the point?

Edited: removed reference to Einstein, wouldnt want to insult him aswell!

Edited by Ungabunga

Yes you're right, I just thought seeing as you posted a load of rubbish then it was okay for me to do the same. And instead of insulting "most Thai People" as you did, I settled just for you, You get the point yet Einstein?

Actuall not, because I posted some facts to which most people who live here will agree, while you posted some untrue accusations.

As for me posting rubbish, maybe you should grow some sense of humor or get a life instead. wai.gif

So blowing a whistle at them helps them to turn the wheel the right way?

So blowing a whistle at them helps them to turn the wheel the right way?

Indeed, because the whistleblower will warn them when they are turning the wrong way smile.png

I don't know if the whistle blowers understand that i can't look at their hand gestures, and watch my side mirrors whilst reversing both at the same time. Maybe i should do a stint as a whistle blower trainee to understand their perspective.

Caught the Ferry earlier this week ... great use of the whistle as communication between the driver and the gofor ... customer relation officer.

Distinctive tones and sound duration depending on what needed to be communicated.

But, in relation to gofor traffic moderation assistant ... I understand the OP ... 100%

I agree the communication on the river ferries by whistle is close to an art form. Still whistles (Bosuns Call) have been used to communicate on boats for,years so I guess its fitting.

wink.png

There are huge parking lots at malls all over North America. With a few notible exceptions, everyone finds their way safely in and out of them. I've yet to see a whistle blower or anyone guiding the traffic. If a shoe fits, wear it.

I don't see your point.

There are a huge number of restaurants in N-America where they don't use spoon/fork (or chop sticks) either, but knife/fork instead.

The whistle is used for a purpose on this continent. Easy as that.

smile.png

I don't see your point.

There are a huge number of restaurants in N-America where they don't use spoon/fork (or chop sticks) either, but knife/fork instead.

smile.png

If you don't know how to drive then someone with a whistle is not going to help you. Whistles are actually good tools when used properly. In logging they use whistles a lot. One toot to stop. 3 toots to go ahead. 2 toots a pause and 2 more toots to go back slowly. A series of toots to slack the rigging. A big vehicle that is backing up often has a series of light toots to make everyone aware. Hand signals with whistle toots are valuable if everyone knows what is happening. BUT! A long, continuous series of ear splitting whistles is useless.

Really?? Thai people must have VERY short attention span if they need constant whistling for minutes on end then...whistling.gif

Let's not forget the ones at the fill-up stations. Have you ever seen them trying to save face because you've decided to go to a different pump, and so they then pretend that that's the one they were trying to get you to go to?

Like this guy? He used to be a gas boy at a fill-up station till someone spend a few quid on his education:

http://www.if.nu.ac.th/personal/seckson

• Like 1

I don't see your point.

smile.png

If you don't know how to drive then someone with a whistle is not going to help you. Whistles are actually good tools when used properly. In logging they use whistles a lot. One toot to stop. 3 toots to go ahead. 2 toots a pause and 2 more toots to go back slowly. A series of toots to slack the rigging. A big vehicle that is backing up often has a series of light toots to make everyone aware. Hand signals with whistle toots are valuable if everyone knows what is happening. BUT! A long, continuous series of ear splitting whistles is useless.

Did it ever occur to you that Thais may have a reason that you are not aware of?

I don't see your point.

smile.png

Did it ever occur to you that Thais may have a reason that you are not aware of?

Come on spill the beans, make the rvelation.
  • Like 1

I don't see your point.

smile.png

Come on spill the beans, make the rvelation.

I believe there is an expression that covers it; has something to do with pearls.smile.png

Edited by chiangmaikelly