Anti-toxin Ribbands

Neeranam

Lots of Univerity students in Isaan(Khon Kaen, Mahasarakham and Udon) are now wearing black ribbands on their arms in protest of Toxin. At last the more intelligent are brave enough to stand up for their rights.

I was at a convention yesterday and spoke to a group of 20 Political Science students, who were all shouting for toxin's demise. I spoke to the same lot a year ago and only a couple were openly anti-toxin. I've waited a long time for this and it's great to see. :o:D:D:D:D

It can only escalate - I predict June this year there will be a new "leader".

> It can only escalate - I predict June this year there

> will be a new "leader".

Why? They'll have their chance at the next elections. Bit silly to go shouting now when they voted for him two times, the first time while knee deep into a corruption related legal battle which fizzled out without Dr. T. coming out looking squeeky clean, to say the least.

Back to the cybercafe with a bag of Twisties kids, go download some ringtones and we'll meet at the next general erection.

Why? They'll have their chance at the next elections. Bit silly to go shouting now when they voted for him two times, the first time while knee deep into a corruption related legal battle which fizzled out without Dr. T. coming out looking squeeky clean, to say the least.

Back to the cybercafe with a bag of Twisties kids, go download some ringtones and we'll meet at the next general erection.

They don't trust the vote. Do you?

he was never elected in a democratic way!

I pay you 200 Baht (300, 1 bottle Heineken, whatever) and you vote for me is not democratic.

As well if you controll TV and only tell the stupid how lovely you are it is not a fair vote.

(Beside the cases of dead people voted, but small amount and I agree also dead people should have their rights to vote :o:D )

I remember the Matichon newspaper showing a TRT member who was running for election in two different places. One sign showed him in his white uniform and in the other city the election sign showed him with a mustache and was dressed as a civilian. :o

I remember the Matichon newspaper showing a TRT member who was running for election in two different places. One sign showed him in his white uniform and in the other city the election sign showed him with a mustache and was dressed as a civilian. :o

Nah! Can't be - not in democratic Thailand - must've been his brother. :D

are now wearing black ribbands on their arms
Umm, what's a ribband?

Yeah, the elections in Thailand are never fair......I guess Thailand should be run by mob rule and petitioning H.M. The King. Scrap all elections. There is no democracy in Thailand....but wait....if you would like for there to be a democracy in Thailand what should you do? Should you encourage mob rule? Should you send a petition to H.M. The King?

I think that the best way to establish democracy in Thailand is to instill in Thai people a respect for the democratic process even though it is flawed....and then educate the heck out of everybody. A smart citizenship will be able to gradually fix the flaws in the democratic process and they will gradually learn to make better decisions...at least theoretically......but......without wide respect for the electoral process there is absolutely no hope. For me the two worst things about this ongoing process is that it goes against the legal process for democracy in Thailand by tring to change things outside this structure...and....neither side has talked about how they are going to improve the education of the Thai people which is surely what is need here.

Quick edit: I thought I'd add that these rallies have the potential to educate people on the problems of the existing gov't but I don't think that they have been effective in doing that partly because of the overblown rhetoric which engages the emotions but not the mind....in my opinion.

Edited by chownah

Ideas:

thailand could change back to an absolut monarchy again

it could be under controll of a different country, here ideas: Switzerland (because they are pretty honest), China (because everyone here with money is already chinese), Italy (because noone would feel much difference to the gouverment now).... maybe drop that idea.....

before someone is allowed to vote he must make a basic test of knowlege, but you can not make a democracy if 80 % of the Isaan is not allowed to vote.

you let the leaders of every party list fight agains each other Thai-boxing, who win can make the gouverment. So at least the premier get beaten like he deserve in advance (for his corruption he will do later).

any other ideas???

Yeah, the elections in Thailand are never fair......I guess Thailand should be run by mob rule and petitioning H.M. The King. Scrap all elections. There is no democracy in Thailand....but wait....if you would like for there to be a democracy in Thailand what should you do? Should you encourage mob rule? Should you send a petition to H.M. The King?

I think that the best way to establish democracy in Thailand is to instill in Thai people a respect for the democratic process even though it is flawed....and then educate the heck out of everybody. A smart citizenship will be able to gradually fix the flaws in the democratic process and they will gradually learn to make better decisions...at least theoretically......but......without wide respect for the electoral process there is absolutely no hope. For me the two worst things about this ongoing process is that it goes against the legal process for democracy in Thailand by tring to change things outside this structure...and....neither side has talked about how they are going to improve the education of the Thai people which is surely what is need here.

Quick edit: I thought I'd add that these rallies have the potential to educate people on the problems of the existing gov't but I don't think that they have been effective in doing that partly because of the overblown rhetoric which engages the emotions but not the mind....in my opinion.

Ideas:

thailand could change back to an absolut monarchy again

it could be under controll of a different country, here ideas: Switzerland (because they are pretty honest), China (because everyone here with money is already chinese), Italy (because noone would feel much difference to the gouverment now).... maybe drop that idea.....

before someone is allowed to vote he must make a basic test of knowlege, but you can not make a democracy if 80 % of the Isaan is not allowed to vote.

you let the leaders of every party list fight agains each other Thai-boxing, who win can make the gouverment. So at least the premier get beaten like he deserve in advance (for his corruption he will do later).

any other ideas???

Actually, before someone is allowed to run in the elections they should be tested for political knowledge, thouroughly audited and background checked. How many were elected simply because of their local influential power and money?

Umm, what's a ribband?

It should be something that goes around a rib, shouldn’t it? But in Thailand, it seems they wear it on the arm.

Of course, Neeranam might have meant a ribbon :o

--------------

Maestro

Chuan Leekpai is the most honest of them all.
How do you propose to make him the Prime Minister? Coup d’état, by whom? Bloody revolution? Abolition of democracy, return to absolute monarchy? Other options?

--------------

Maestro

Edited by maestro

can you list the leaders for me, who would pass the test, please (I guess not too much work).

Actually, before someone is allowed to run in the elections they should be tested for political knowledge, thouroughly audited and background checked.

I can think of a few prominent world leaders who would fail this test :o

QUOTE(Sing_Sling @ 2006-02-15 07:52:00) *

Umm, what's a ribband?

It should be something that goes around a rib, shouldn’t it? But in Thailand, it seems they wear it on the arm.

Of course, Neeranam might have meant a ribbon smile.gif

If you're not a native speaker, or didn't have a proper education, this site is good to look up words you don't know - http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_1861702608/riband.html :o

If you're not a native speaker, or didn't have a proper education, this site is good to look up words you don't know - http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_1861702608/riband.html :o
You got me there! I knew the French “riban”, but not the American “ribband”, the latter being a language with which I am indeed not very familiar.

---------------

Maestro

P.S. If it’s any consolation to me, I see just now that also the UK English and US English spell-checkers of Microsoft Office know neither riband nor ribband. But I should have looked it up (and would have found it) in a real dictionary before posting my unnecessary quip.

QUOTE(Sing_Sling @ 2006-02-15 07:52:00) *

Umm, what's a ribband?

Of course, Neeranam might have meant a ribbon smile.gif

Mea culpa, mea culpa. You are right, I followed your link and will now make a concerted effort to learn 14th century French to post here.

rib·and [ ríbbənd ] (plural rib·ands) or rib·band [ ríbbənd ] (plural rib·bands)

noun

Definitions:

ribbon: a ribbon, especially one that is used for decorative purposes

[14th century. < Old French riban]

:o

> he was never elected in a democratic way!

Of course he was. Might not be 'fair', but then very few things in life are.

> I pay you 200 Baht (300, 1 bottle Heineken, whatever) and you vote for me is not

> democratic.

Of course it is. In the West people are even cheaper, overthere they even swallow a couple of empty promises hook, line and sinker. And if that's not enough, start some scaremongering on something. ('Anything', as long as it's not directed against the people you want to vote for you).

Cheers,

Chanchao