Thai Immigration Now Accepts Applications For Permanent Residency

Does anyone know of a Farang who received Thai Residence during the rain of the Taksin family old and new?

I assume you mean Thai Citizenship. I know of only one guy who got it in Taksin's time.

Taksin changed price for PR from about 9,000 baht to 90,000 baht. Also , the visas went up from 500 baht to 1900 baht. Unbelievably, many stillthink that Taksin was good for foreigners here.

Your numbers are wrong. I paid a 50,000 baht fee for PR on approval in 1996 and the non-refundable application fee was 2,000. It went up to current levels in about 2002 under Thaksin but it is more than 90,000 baht. I think that is approx the fee for those with a Thai spouse. Others pay double. The problem with all govt fees is that they tend to leave them as they are for many years and they increase them steeply, unlike the UK govt which increases all fees annually. Imagine how the Chinese immigrants felt in the 50s when they increased the fee from 40 to 400 baht and introduced the quota 100 per nationality per year which was specifically intended to keep them out.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got to be kidding me. What a great way to bring the rich people into Thailand! The 200,000 is absolutely absurd. And who in their right mind would ever want a Thai citizenship (not PR, they do mention this at those pages)?

There may be others like me, who will have their companies sponsor it. If not, it may still be worth paying for the benefits received.

Thai citizenship - well, if Scotland does not vote Yes to Independence, I may very well take Thai Citizenship in the future.

I was overstayed in 2007 and was deported (not sure if it called deport as I walked to the immigration deptt. and inform them to take me in their custody as I am overstayed by one year. He asked me how much I can pay for his fees as undertable money, I paid both court charges THB 2,000 and officer's tea money THB 7,000). My passport was with pilot all the way back to my country. Back in my own country, I was handed over to police. Nothing happened there. He asked me for tea money. I paid it, signed a self written statement that I have Thai wife and I don't want to stay away from her so I overstayed. Police officer laughed and asked me to go.

Still, am I eligible for Thai PR?

Today, I have NON-'O' visa, a marriage certificate and a Thai born baby boy.

My income is more than required level.

Does one qualify if they receive 100% of income transferred from abroad (royalties, interest income, dividends, etc., for example) and meets all other requirements? Seems silly to require that one work in Thailand if they have enough means to not have to work in Thailand. I know, I know: TIT. Still, if one in such a situation did obtain a work permit for no other reason than to meet the qualifications, would they still have to actually perform WORK in Thailand?

It seems pretty stupid to make one show payment of the monthly taxes on the "reported work income" for 3(?) years to meet the work permit requirement if one a) does not actually work and B) does not have to work.

• Like 1

It's horses for courses. If someone is here on a retirement or marriage visa it's not that important, but for a younger, single person looking to stay permanently without the usual hassles and obstructions, PR or citizenship has to be their best option. I contribute a lot of money to the Thai exchequer by way of purchases and can speak read and write Thai but will never be considered because I don't need to work and have no intention to. A little more flexibility in the required criteria would be nice but isn't expected.

My wife and I have been married almost 25-years now. She has a American green card and I speak and read Thai. Does anyone feel I might get permanent residency?

Edited by lopburi3
correct font

I certainly wouldn't consider the 200,000 baht price tag even if I did qualify.

Sour grapes but they seem to have plenty people applying who are qualified and willing to pay the fees which are 50% less for those married to Thais. So I guess they aren't going to lower the bar for you.

For those who do wish to apply it is good news that they have opened for applications quite early in December. In previous years, they tended to open just before Christmas, making it hard for those who had travel plans over the holidays to get everything together in time. Last year the order setting the quota was signed by the Interior Minister on 14 Dec and was published in the Royal Gazette on 20 Dec. This year it was signed on 15 Nov and published on 19 Nov. That seems to indicate that the new minister is likely to continue to the momentum created by his predecessor who signed off on a huge backlog of PR applications, not to mention hundreds of citizen applications by minority groups.

Note to all:

If you are married to a Thai you apply for Citizenship NOT PR, cost is 5,000bht,

Edited by lopburi3
correct font

Funny, I didn't remember Australia having such a steep "price" for permanent residency. But I can understand why Thailand would want you to make $$$ more than the average Thai. Afterall, who else would they fleece?

Hey, Australian PR actually levels you up in most rights with Australian citizens. You can even vote in some elections minus few unimportant rights like being able to serve in military and on the jury. But in Thailand? I really don't understand the guys who apply because they validate the system. They spend 200,000 THB, go through lots of applications, "exams" and scrutiny just for the name "resident" that changes very little. If PR meant that at least I could own land here and didn't have any hustles leaving and entering the country I would consider it. But otherwise, they can keep their fake PR's.

Funny, I didn't remember Australia having such a steep "price" for permanent residency. But I can understand why Thailand would want you to make $$$ more than the average Thai. Afterall, who else would they fleece?

Just lodged my wifes application for a spouse visa to Oz, almost B70,000, plus travel to Bangkok and other paperwork at an extra 25K, so that is almost 100K. Plus is it a 1 year wait for approval. So I wouldn't call it cheap or quick, yet you do?

You've got to be kidding me. What a great way to bring the rich people into Thailand! The 200,000 is absolutely absurd. And who in their right mind would ever want a Thai citizenship (not PR, they do mention this at those pages)?

Who in their right mind? Me.

I've got it, and it is bloody useful if you want to base your life/work in Thailand and the region.

I've got it, and it is bloody useful if you want to base your life/work in Thailand and the region.

Yeah? Oh, maybe I'm missing something. Could you please explain that "usefulness"? What exactly does this PR entitles you to?

• Like 1

"

Qualifications of an applicant:

1. An applicant must have received permission for yearly stays in Thailand on a non-immigrant visa for at least of three years prior to the submission of an application for permanent residency. Holders of multiple NON-Immigrant visas can not apply. You must have 3 un-broken yearly extensions in order to qualify.

2. An applicant must be holding a non-immigrant visa at the time of submitting an application."

Say what now?

Yeah? Oh, maybe I'm missing something. Could you please explain that "usefulness"? What exactly does this PR entitles you to?

Please read the reference post again. Saman has citizenship. And it is very useful for anyone living in Thailand.

Citizenship was what I was responding to. Able to own my company, property and conduct business pretty freely. Given I travel around Asia often, usually on short notice, it is highly useful in getting into ASEAN countries with a minmum of hassle. Even the Myanmar embassy gives Thai passport holders the express queue. China, India, quick visa turn around times.

Flash that ID card in Thailand, and Thailand is your oyster.

Friends with PR? Stability I'd guess. Able to stay, get mortgages. Work permits, though needed, seem to be formality. A stepping stone to citizenship too for those not married.

• Like 1

I will apply for mine next year. I thought there was a language requirement to speak/read/write Thai to grade 10 level (or something of that nature). I do not see that requirement listed now.

Yes there is.

1.4 The applicant must be able to understand and speak Thai language.

I was overstayed in 2007 and was deported (not sure if it called deport as I walked to the immigration deptt. and inform them to take me in their custody as I am overstayed by one year. He asked me how much I can pay for his fees as undertable money, I paid both court charges THB 2,000 and officer's tea money THB 7,000). My passport was with pilot all the way back to my country. Back in my own country, I was handed over to police. Nothing happened there. He asked me for tea money. I paid it, signed a self written statement that I have Thai wife and I don't want to stay away from her so I overstayed. Police officer laughed and asked me to go.

Still, am I eligible for Thai PR?

Today, I have NON-'O' visa, a marriage certificate and a Thai born baby boy.

My income is more than required level.

You should ask immigration.

With not just paying the fine at immirgation but going to court you now have a conviction on your name, which will not be helpful. How serious they will take this is best ask from immigration.

My Thai wife got a Swedish Citizenship and a Swedsih passport all for free just for staying in Sweden for three years or so, just admin fees and such.

I have stayed in Thailand for 16 years and must pay 200,000 Bath plus for just a residence thingie, sorry Im not going for that scam...

• Like 1

My Thai wife got a Swedish Citizenship and a Swedsih passport all for free just for staying in Sweden for three years or so, just admin fees and such.

I have stayed in Thailand for 16 years and must pay 200,000 Bath plus for just a residence thingie, sorry Im not going for that scam...

Since you have a Thai wife, you could try and go for Thai nationality instead of PR.

You have to have a work permit and pay taxes.

I don't believe that is the only way, you can also be a retiree--at least the Hatyai Immigration says so. As a retiree, you pay no taxes in Thailand, or at least no one has ever asked me in over five years as a retiree.

Smotherb, yes retiree is easier and there are many other ways that will allow you to stay in the kingdom, but it is always the dream of every retiree and expat to be able to stay in a country without having to worry about such things as 90 days reporting, passport checks and so on or when the immigration officers are coming to hazzle you or your business or your family etc....

• Like 1

Thai nationality needs for you to have a permanent residency first for a period of time, again 200,000+ smile.png isnt it sweet how they have organized it all?

No it doesn't if you are married to a Thai.

16 years is a long time to live in a country without checking the criteria for citizenship!!