Duchess Of Cambridge Hoax Call Nurse Found Dead

webfact

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The call was for fun. No harm done and there is nothing to be ashamed of except those bad accepts.

Sad about the suicide. The radio station has ZERO culpability. The lady was obviously on the edge anyway and nobody killed her, she killed HERSELF.

It was not "fun" to ask about a patients medical status & then broadcast without permission, it was a gross breach of patient rights to privacy.

It was a prank call. Did you listen the the call? I did. It was ridiculous! For people who don't understand how hilarious prank calls can be I suggest getting a hold of some Crank Yankers t.v. shows.

The majority of the Australian public do not agree with you, nor does one of the stations major commercial advertising clients who have now cancelled their contract with the station. No matter how ridiculous the call was, the DJ's did ask about the medical status of the patient and to me that is unacceptable. One of the DJ's involved has a record of lack of ethics with on air interviews and has previously been disciplined. She obviously hasn't learned from her previous errors of judgement, nor have the stations lawyers & management when undertaking risk analysis prior to authorising the broadcast. So we have to agree to disagree.

Edited by simple1

The call was for fun. No harm done and there is nothing to be ashamed of except those bad accepts.

Sad about the suicide. The radio station has ZERO culpability. The lady was obviously on the edge anyway and nobody killed her, she killed HERSELF.

I couldn't disagree more, no harm done you say, fun! At best the call was poor judgement, at worst it was something lese entirely and the fall out now seems to support that view.

This is the liberal view - the view that leads us to a totalitarian state where everything is banned to 'protect' the populace.

She killed herself. She obviously had issues if this was her reaction to being the butt of a joke.

Or perhaps we should ban jokes in case this every happens again.

• Like 2

I couldn't disagree more, no harm done you say, fun! At best the call was poor judgement, at worst it was something lese entirely and the fall out now seems to support that view.

This is the liberal view - the view that leads us to a totalitarian state where everything is banned to 'protect' the populace.

She killed herself. She obviously had issues if this was her reaction to being the butt of a joke.

Her family must be laughing themselves silly at the "joke".

It was just a prank call, maybe funny, maybe not, depending on your point of view.

It is sad that this nurse committed suicide, but as other posters have pointed out, she must have had some issues at the ready to have done so.

If the populace of various countries as a whole do no want to have entertainers make jokes at the the expense of the famous then they will tune out from listening and watching and these entertainers will move onto something else. Something their audience and advertisers will be content with.

Her family must be laughing themselves silly at the "joke".

Obviously her family would be devastated.

However, it seems odd to blame her death on this particular joke. It is a bit like saying that if someone dumps their partner and their partner commits suicide that the partner who dumped them is responsible.

• Like 1

The majority of the Australian public do not agree with you, nor does one of the stations major commercial advertising clients who have now cancelled their contract with the station. No matter how ridiculous the call was, the DJ's did ask about the medical status of the patient and to me that is unacceptable. One of the DJ's involved has a record of lack of ethics with on air interviews and has previously been disciplined. She obviously hasn't learned from her previous errors of judgement, nor have the stations lawyers & management when undertaking risk analysis prior to authorising the broadcast. So we have to agree to disagree.

The best premier that Victoria ever had and now the chairman of a major suicide awareness campaign does...

'Mr Kennett, the chairman of the national depression initiative beyondblue, said on Saturday he hoped the Australian public would support the two radio hosts involved in the prank.

"When they did this they had no intention to cause harm, it was a harmless prank.'

With the convenient use of hindsight, all the people that usually like a joke and a laugh, now jump on the bandwagon AFTER the fact.

So very true Humbugged.

It is a sad outcome to the event and seems pointless to lay blame

• Like 2

Their hindsight should have told them, at the very least, that someone could have been sacked for their stupid entertainment. I hope the station has to shut down. That will make me laugh.

Their lawyers gave them the go ahead to air it....sooooo.....oh, you do know what hindsight is right ?

It comes after, not before, unilke most guys.

By the way, be careful with that joke....you would not want any of the radio staff to jump and blame you for it.

Edited by Humbugged

Depends on how you define liberal. I consider myself a liberal and believe in free speech in entertainment and humor, even when it is in poor taste (many people love poor taste and that's their right). I think you are talking about something else like totalitarianism which is favored from the left AND the right.

Indeed the timing of the suicide could be totally coincidental.

Edited by Jingthing

The best premier that Victoria ever had and now the chairman of a major suicide awareness campaign does...

'Mr Kennett, the chairman of the national depression initiative beyondblue, said on Saturday he hoped the Australian public would support the two radio hosts involved in the prank.

"When they did this they had no intention to cause harm, it was a harmless prank.'

With the convenient use of hindsight, all the people that usually like a joke and a laugh, now jump on the bandwagon AFTER the fact.

Kennett is not know for the best of judgement calls in matters of public interest or business

http://www.news.com.au/national/jeff-kennett-slammed-for-questioning-victoria-cross-standards/story-fndo4eg9-1226508880839

http://www.samesame.com.au/news/local/7418/beyondblue-boss-faces-gay-community-furor.htm

http://www.crikey.com.au/2012/05/31/is-jeff-kennett-really-and-truly-independent-of-james-packer/

Their hindsight should have told them, at the very least, that someone could have been sacked for their stupid entertainment. I hope the station has to shut down. That will make me laugh.

Their lawyers gave them the go ahead to air it....sooooo.....oh, you do know what hindsight is right ?

By the way, be careful with that joke....you would not want any of the radio staff to jump and blame you for it.

Yes the lawyers gave the go ahead as their advice was it did not break any Australian law, still doesn't mean the broadcast was ethically correct

Cause of death was stated by the authorities to be suicide, but no evidence disclosed of the basis for conclusion of a suicide. Where have I heard that before? Is it so unthinkable that she could have been done in by someone else?

Yes the lawyers gave the go ahead as their advice was it did not break any Australian law, still doesn't mean the broadcast was ethically correct

Ethically correct...get real.

bet you are a right laugh at parties.

If you would have said morrally I could agree with you.

I wasn't joking.

• Like 1

Depends on how you define liberal. I consider myself a liberal and believe in free speech in entertainment and humor, even when it is in poor taste (many people love poor taste and that's their right). I think you are talking about something else like totalitarianism which is favored from the left AND the right.

Indeed the timing of the suicide could be totally coincidental.

With Freedom of speech, comes a sense of responsibility. Those 2 obviously have none.

• Like 1

People can justify their opinions for or against what the UK Royals are good and bad for.

However, the people who serve them, even at low pay, are extraordinarily gifted and dedicated people. These people would jump in front of a bullet to protect the royals. This nurse took it pretty hard, apparently, and tragedy struck.

So sad. The Aussies have such hatred for the Brits and for what? Never met one who liked Britain, but there are tons of them there. I hope those two monkeys get charged with involuntary manslaughter. Do a bit of reversal. Ship the criminals back to the UK to serve their time.

• Like 1

According to Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard, the Mayans were right and the apocalypse is near.

In a spoof 50-second video appearance promoting a local radio station's breakfast show, Gillard provided hair-raising details that she said would come when the world ends this month, as the ancient Mayans calendar predicted.

It's just a pity that they don't take Gillard off the air also!

• Like 1

Ethically correct...get real.

bet you are a right laugh at parties.

Yes, you're right not good at telling jokes at parties, but I do have a good sense of humour. These two don't pass my personnel eval of humour & never have; just moronic humour attractive to the lowest common denominator. Moving along, every journalist, these two also comment on news topics and the hoax was based on a news topic, must have a personal sense of ethics and responsibility--a moral compass.

http://en.wikipedia....s_and_standards

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

some comments in this thread are shocking in regards to how the posters put the responsibility on the pranksters.

when doing pranks or whatever in life, people cannot be expected to take responsibilty for extremely abnormal reactions.

There is a big difference between a prank played on someone in a small circle of friends and a prank played on someone that has an international audience. This prank attacked her professional credentials and probably some very important people.

It's very far from being funny.

• Like 2

some comments in this thread are shocking in regards to how the posters put the responsibility on the pranksters.

when doing pranks or whatever in life, people cannot be expected to take responsibilty for extremely abnormal reactions.

So where does the responsibility lie, with the nurse for taking her job/role/responsibilities so seriously!

It was not "fun" to ask about a patients medical status & then broadcast without permission, it was a gross breach of patient rights to privacy.

It was a prank call. Did you listen the the call? I did. It was ridiculous! For people who don't understand how hilarious prank calls can be I suggest getting a hold of some Crank Yankers t.v. shows.

Not knowing if the nurse was British born or not. She is of Indian origin. If born in India, she may not have had an ear for a fake accent.

She'd been in the UK 10 years, I'd be gobsmacked if she had an ear for any sort of fake accent using English.

2day fm's own code of practise says that they should not : " impersonate any person", or, "ask improper questions" H'mmm so who is responsible for these 2 buffoons?