Phuket Expat Sailor Stafford Steer Dies From Cancer

Lite Beer

Phuket expat sailor Stafford Steer dies from cancer

Phuket Gazette -

phuket-1-19679kdBAjivETEXNsrpmFVWyNeGWaN.jpg

Not a man to do things by halves, Stafford Steer (left) talks with Phuket Governor Udomsak Uswarangkura in 2005 about importing the right quality of sand for inland beach volleyball courts in Phuket that would later be used as training courts for FIVB world champions. Photo Gazette file

PHUKET: As sailors raced in the final day of the Phuket King's Cup Regatta that concluded yesterday, one of Phuket’s longest-staying expats and best-known personalities in the local yachting community, Stafford Steer from Australia, died after a brief battle with cancer.

He was 71 years old.

Stafford arrived in Phuket from Cairns, in Far North Queensland, Australia, in 1992 on board the sailing catamaran No Fixed Address, which he and fellow Phuket sailing icon Mark Pescott built together.

Stafford went on to win the Mulithull class in the Phuket King's Cup Regatta that same year.

He is also likely the only expat sailor in Phuket to have a sailing hazard colloquially named after him, a semi-submarine rock off Cape Panwa that Stafford ran aground on No Fixed Address years ago.

The event became local sailing legend and a photo marking the occasion for years was on proud display on the “Wall of Fame” at Jimmy’s Lighthouse by the shores of Chalong Bay.

Stafford is well-known for running the Mike’s Bikes visa run company for years before embarking on a venture to establish the Phuket Sport & Tennis Club in Rawai.

Brent Mcinnes of the Phuket Cruising Yacht Club marked on the club’s Facebook page today: “Stafford, not one to leave anything half done, married Pat in the last week of his life after living together for more than 16 years.

“Stafford was a man you could depend on for support when the chips were down. He didn’t suffer fools well. He completed all tasks he took on and was a good source for advice on many levels.

“He is survived by his wife Pat and a son and daughter in Australia. Stafford was 71 years old.

“You now have time to rest, Stafford.”

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2012/Phuket-expat-sailor-Stafford-Steer-dies-from-cancer-19679.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-12-09

interesting how life goes....we had just two weeks ago the thaivisa party at his Sports Club. He actually called me a couple of days earlier saying he cannot make it for health reasons...

R.I.P. - never knew you in person

I knew he had a serious illness but still sad to hear of his passing. Have had a few beers with him back in the day when he was living in a room on the waterfront by Kan Eng 2. He was the original visa run guy & I always had a chuckle when passing by the santa claus sitting on the motorbike with the countdown days to Xmas which usually started on 1st Jan. RIP my old friend.

I knew he had a serious illness but still sad to hear of his passing. Have had a few beers with him back in the day when he was living in a room on the waterfront by Kan Eng 2. He was the original visa run guy & I always had a chuckle when passing by the santa claus sitting on the motorbike with the countdown days to Xmas which usually started on 1st Jan. RIP my old friend.

Yes, I also remember him from the visarun days.

RIP Stafford.

Yes, I also remember him from the visarun days.

RIP Stafford.

I found it interesting when doing visa runs to Burma with his company when I first came to Thailand 12 years ago, everything in the Burmese immigration office, chairs, table, fans etc. had a sticker on it which said "Donated by Mikes Bikes Visa Run." That was an education on how things worked in Asia for me.