What Thais Think Of Farang Food

kaobang

Thai view of parmesan

exaggeration or the real thing?

i have seen with my very eyes a thai lady putting mayonnaise and ketchup on a lasagna(we all were feeling miserable at that)

i love thai food,but it's clear..its not mutual love

• Like 1

"Jeut" i.e. bland is the standard reply. This is closely followed by "What, no rice?"

I like Thai food but sometimes I need to step back from the massive chilli, salt and sugar loading that is virtually universal in Thai food nowadays.

• Like 1

Umm, I confess to having a more hostile reaction to brie & camembert. I come close to wretching when I eat it. I find that my Thai friends like certain western dishes, particularly the French style treatment of pork with the reduced sauces.

Ketchup on pasta is a travesty I have found it particular to the descendants of trailer park folk in the USA and Canada. . tongue.png

The Thais that have had the opportunity to travel outside of Thailand to the EU and North America will have a more refined palate. High quality western food is not readily available, nor affordable for the average Thai. Whereas westerners have ready access to a wide selection of cuisines in their home countries. Westerners are spoilt because of the exposure to immigrants and their cuisines. Look at the UK. One get usually get a much better curry there than in India, although I can only eat Thai curry. The "sushi" sold in Thai supermarkets is scarey stuff, as are the deli meats. I have to go to a German butcher to get proper knockwurst or smoked ham.

Umm, I confess to having a more hostile reaction to brie & camembert. I come close to wretching when I eat it. I find that my Thai friends like certain western dishes, particularly the French style treatment of pork with the reduced sauces.

Ketchup on pasta is a travesty I have found it particular to the descendants of trailer park folk in the USA and Canada. . tongue.png

The Thais that have had the opportunity to travel outside of Thailand to the EU and North America will have a more refined palate. High quality western food is not readily available, nor affordable for the average Thai. Whereas westerners have ready access to a wide selection of cuisines in their home countries. Westerners are spoilt because of the exposure to immigrants and their cuisines. Look at the UK. One get usually get a much better curry there than in India, although I can only eat Thai curry. The "sushi" sold in Thai supermarkets is scarey stuff, as are the deli meats. I have to go to a German butcher to get proper knockwurst or smoked ham.

I'm not surprised your reaction to mushy watery spread type/cheeses,like Camembert and Brie,which is not something that can compete with hundreds of fantastic world cheeses,to put it mindly.I'm almost gagging thinking of you wretching. Stick to wine I say,and leave cheese making to the experts.

Edited by MAJIC

My (Thai) wife loves Parmesan cheese. We use it a lot (or rather, I use it a lot, since my wife cooks Thai and I cook European). She can't cope with the soft cheeses though. I love Gorgonzola, Roquefort, Brie, Camembert and all those rather smelly soft cheeses, and she thinks I'm mad. However, I only have to point to the shrimp paste (triple wrapped in the fridge) to crush that argument. smile.png

I have to admit I can't quite get my head round her love of Heinz (it has to be Heinz) tomato ketchup. She puts it on everything. Lovingly crafted Lasagne (with real Bechamel), pizza, spaghetti, moussaka, the list goes on.... I despair...sad.png

My wife likes most western food, although she does need a somtom fix every few days. I did find it odd that the Thai gal across the street asked me why farang like salads. She couldn't understand how we could enjoy a bowl of lettuce and other veggies. And she's well educated and travelled abroad. I was happy when our local Big C opened a salad bar. Seems to be catching on with some Thais.

Sent from my PC36100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Can't generalize, some like falang food, most dont.

And i've seen more falangs putting ketchup on their steak than thais.

Last but not least i had the misfortune to eat Bobs American ketchup drowned ribs,

amongst the most disgusting treats i tried

Edited by poanoi

Some maybe most Thais don't like lamb and I don't like four legged little critters deep fried.

I can't stand BBQ sauce & I'm sure the chances of me serving marmite wont happen.

Some parms do smell like my hockey bag when I was a kid so I certainly understand a first timer having that reaction.

Makes us all special I guess.

"Jeut" i.e. bland is the standard reply. This is closely followed by "What, no rice?"

I like Thai food but sometimes I need to step back from the massive chilli, salt and sugar loading that is virtually universal in Thai food nowadays.

the Thai food i eat is cooked at home, contains indeed a massive amount of chilis (which i savour) but not too much salt and of course zero sugar.

• Like 1

In my experience (and I cook for Thai friends quite a lot), and generalising a lot:

(1) Thai people find certain strong tastes difficult: cheese (particularly blue cheese), olives, capers, anchovies.

(2) They dislike very sour food: most pickles (except, curiously, cornichon), anything with a lot of vinegar.

(3) They don't like mushy food: fish pie, faggots.

My list of dishes never-to-be-repeated-for-friends has grown a lot over the years.

• Like 1

I strongly suspect that though the feelings of disgust, or to a lesser extent, dislike, are genuine, that these feelings are enhanced by peer opinion or views propagated through society by tv, radio, etc.

For example, lamb, mutton and goat is almost always received negatively despite the fact that most have never tried it. It is a learned opinion. Any food that is associated with South Asian food or khaek food will be viewed as unappealing.

The wife cooks a western dish maybe twice a week, maybe a chicken with broccoli/cauliflower with cheese sauce, beef stew or something like chicken and sweet corn soup, she's also tried those Topps NZ Lamb chops and loves them,, same same with the kids, they also love them,

when we married, I pre cooked one of the dishes on offer (much to the disapproval of the father in law), the wife and her family made everything else,, I decided on a big pot of chicken and sweet corn soup, the chicken soup was the one pot that was completely finished

Jonny

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

The real problem here is, they dont get to eat actual farang food. It is all bloody crap here, so they think their Thai food is the best. I have no doubt if a Thai bit into a fish Taco in Mexico it would be a different story. It would be love at first bight for sure.

• Like 2

I strongly suspect that though the feelings of disgust, or to a lesser extent, dislike, are genuine, that these feelings are enhanced by peer opinion or views propagated through society by tv, radio, etc.

For example, lamb, mutton and goat is almost always received negatively despite the fact that most have never tried it. It is a learned opinion. Any food that is associated with South Asian food or khaek food will be viewed as unappealing.

You've overlooked Thai Muslims who breed goats for food. For family parties/events my Thai Muslim family often cook large pots of chicken cooked with rice & Indian curry powder. When living overseas my Thai wife loved Tandoori lamb.

• Like 1

In many cases the issue with Thai's not liking Western food is simply their exposure to decent quality Western food.

I find Pla-rah quite offensive and objectionable, my Wife finds Blue Cheese's equally awful.

There are however some excellent restaurants in the UK and my Wife thoroughly enjoys the food there but needs her regular noodle fix.

I suspect our palate is simply a result of our geographical and cultural upbringing. i.e. had I grown up in Thailand I too would hate blue cheese.

I do find many Westerners in Thailand more open minded towards various foods, perhaps they are simply those more readily prepared for experimentation.

The Thai Palate may also be slightly less refined, Thai foods are stronger and more powerful, spices are used almost to excess. In many cases food is enjoyed as a chemical high from the atomic endorphin hit.

The lack of subtlety in Thai flavours may lead many who've grown up with Thai food to find Western food tasteless and bland.

The real problem here is, they dont get to eat actual farang food. It is all bloody crap here, so they think their Thai food is the best. I have no doubt if a Thai bit into a fish Taco in Mexico it would be a different story. It would be love at first bight for sure.

What is actual farang food then?

I see very little similarity between lutefisk, squirrel shank, borscht, chiles rellenos, hamburger or kidney pie etc

Please be more specific

Btw, im sure mexicans would not consider their food to be gringo food either, the equivelent to falang:)

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by Kilgore Trout

the wife likes a steak when available and also quite likes my lasagna (I add some chiles to the sauce and go slow on the mozzarella)and we were once in Penang and she went crazy for the curries and tandoori...she enjoys her food and I enjoy watching her eat...

then once I was with a pal at work at lunch time in Jakarta and we decided to swing by our living compound and pick up his indo girlfriend and take her to a favorite restaurant nearby...it was 12 noon and she had just gotten outta bed and was one of the most beautiful women I had ever seen...when we were seated she just said 'gimme a steak' and then devoured it in a couple of minutes with a few slugs of Bintang beer..then she pushed away her plate, lit a fag and semi-reclined in her seat...

I wanted to jump her bones on the spot...my pal who had the same idea slyly glanced at me with a look that said: 'I know she's beautiful...what's a bule to do?...'. I saw him recently in the UK and he advised that she married a wealthy scot and now lives on an estate in the highlands...

there's something about asian women and their steaks...

• Like 1

What is actual farang food then?

I see very little similarity between lutefisk, squirrel shank, borscht, chiles rellenos, hamburger or kidney pie etc

Please be more specific

Btw, im sure mexicans would not consider their food to be gringo food either, the equivelent to falang:)

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

I thought pretty much non SE asians were farangs. Foreigners and tourists. A Laotian isn't farang for sure, but a Japanese or Chinese could be for sure, esp if a camera is around their neck with one of those visors. Mexicans, and their food, are definitely farang. And I dont see farang as a gringo equivalent exactly, I see the use of farang being more broad than gringo -- and trust me, I DO know what a gringo is.

Anyway, even if i'm wrong, the point still stands, ie take a Thai to "in and out burger" in the US and buy them the tastiest hamburger they have ever had for 45 baht, and they would be going crazy. Buy them a 200 baht terrible hamburger here, and of course they are going to think that "farang" food sucks.

Edited by isawasnake
  • Like 1

there's something about asian women and their steaks...

+1

The mrs has the gas bbq going 3 times a day with ribs, steaks, sausage, lamb chops..

Going to an aussie butcher is up there with shoe shopping and handbags

There is no such thing as farang food, so nobody can like or dislike it I guess.

There is Italian food, Greek food, English food (traditional one, I guess nowadays they eat all kinds of food), French food, German food, Russian food, Mexican food etc.

Not much in common between the Italian and the Russian cuisines...

When Thais say 'farang food', it's only because most are not well traveled, not too educated, and really have no clue about the different cuisines available out there (It would be the same as if I would say I dislike Asian food, without knowing there is a difference between Indian, Japanese and Thai food).

Most Thais might not like blue cheese or meat pies, and I don't like it either, but I do love Italian, Greek and Spanish food.