Applying For Us Social Security In Chiang Mai

I will be applying for my US Social Security soon......hopefully through/at the US Consulate in Chiang Mai.

Are there any issues I should be aware of..........or problems.........or hints to make the application process runs smoothly?

Thanks

If you are applying for Social Security while you live in Thailand, you must apply through the SSA office in Manila Philippines. The consulate in Chaing Mai might have and application package, but it must be submitted through Manila and it will be adminstered by Manila. If you want direct deposits of your payments into a Thailand bank, you must set up a special account with Bangkok bank as it is the only bank in Thailand that can receive direct SSA payments. You can apply 90 days before your 62nd birthday. If you need further infofeel free to PM me as I have been through the process. Heres their website: http://manila.usemba...n-division.html

Edited by wayned

iN 2009 while working in Kuwait, I applied for Social Security retirement benefits via the website www.ssa.gov.

all handled over the internet, never had to visit any embassy. It was very easy-took about 15 minutes. Just checked the website and you can still apply for retirement benefits online.

Good luck

Lefty

Lefty---

As I have no permanent US address anymore, it seems to make a difference. You may have had a permanent US address and returned to it periodically.

I don't know if that makes a difference.

I will be calling the US Consulate in CM tomorrow to inquire and have an appointment for Thursday if need be.

Will update here as necessary.

• Like 1

sailaway2000,

My personal experience with the SS application;

Emailed the Manila SS office.

Return email was sent to set up time for the office to call back and do interview.

Two phone calls from them to finish interview.

Took documents to Chiang Mai US Consulate. They verified my identity and forwarded the documents to Manila SS office.

Done.

Having a foreign address, a letter form is sent each year. Which must be filled out and returned to verify SS.

Cheers

iN 2009 while working in Kuwait, I applied for Social Security retirement benefits via the website www.ssa.gov.

all handled over the internet, never had to visit any embassy. It was very easy-took about 15 minutes. Just checked the website and you can still apply for retirement benefits online.

Good luck

Lefty

As Lefty said, this is the way to do it. If any further information is needed, they will let you know and you can submit the documents at the US Consulate in Chiang Mai. Foreign address makes no difference. Edited by curtklay

You don't have to have a US address. I don't and I have my SSA payments deposited directly into my Bangkok Bank account. They are deposited through their branch in NY. $5 is deducted their end and 200 baht here. They are deposited on the third of each month and I have had tjhem deposited for 6 years with no problems. he yearly letter is sent directly to my address in Thailand and I fill it in and return it. You don't have to go to the trouble of setting up an address through a mail forwarding company. It's just an added expense and PITA.

The only requirement of the bank account is that it has to be a foreign deposit account in your name only and you have to withdraw the funds in person. You can't have ATM or internet banking.You can withdraw the funds at any branch and I have another account that has internet and ATM so I just go in and withdraw the money from tha SSA account and deposit it into the other account. No transfer fees involved, only the $5 in NY and 200 baht here. They SMS me with the amount when the transfer and deposit has been completed. A no brainer at the toatl cost of $11.67 every month.