Russians In Phuket

hansgruber

^

OK, whilst the 'Family' might be lacking some authenticity of Arabic/Eastern Mediterranean food, it is still OK. Essentially the kebabs (if that's what you're going for) is 'up to you' as you're provided the ingredients on a plate to make up your own. That kind of suits my wife and I when we do go there (maybe once every 3 months or so), as I particularly like the humous.

Re the Russians in Rawai (and Chalong). I think you only need visit Villa Market on most days to get a good grasp of how many Russians are actually living here as resident expats (not tourists), with Rawai and Chalong being popular with them for the variety of houses, facilities etc. The proximity of the 'Family' at the Tesco Lotus shopping centre is the reason they, like many others including myself, are using the place. As you also said, the owner is an Israeli. How many Russian/USSR Jews make up the background nationality of the israeli population do you think? No country lost as many people in WWII as the Russians, and the exodus of it's Jewish population afterwards was greater than any other nation.

Anyway, back to your point. We've all been to better restaurants of different ethnicity in our respective home countries, but this is here, this is now. The 'Family' is what it is, and like it or not, it's one of the rare successful non-Thai food outlets in Phuket. Fine dining it's not, but it's selling point is reasonable food at reasonable prices, in reasonable surroundings. A good supper/lunch venue.

Oh, I've not been to any Russian bars in Thailand, though I have lived in Russia for a few years.

Edited by pagallim

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im not doubting the fact that there was a lot of Russian Jews displaced in the war. Im just doubting the authenticity of the food in the Family Restaurant. Its definately not Russian. Its definately not Jewish/Isreali. Its rehashed Arabic food. My good friend from Kuwait and another from Egypt that regularly holiday here in Phuket both cringe at the sight of the shocking food there.

I know that Chinese and Thai restaurants are popular in all parts of the West. If your happy getting a dumbed down Green Curry Chook or a Sweet and Sour Pork from the local pub and your happy with that then so be it. Im actually thinking about the great little eateries I visited last time I was in Lithuwania that serve Kholodets and Pelmeni....mmmmmmmm now thats awesome

^

OK, whilst the 'Family' might be lacking some authenticity of Arabic/Eastern Mediterranean food, it is still OK. Essentially the kebabs (if that's what you're going for) is 'up to you' as you're provided the ingredients on a plate to make up your own. That kind of suits my wife and I when we do go there (maybe once every 3 months or so), as I particularly like the humous.

Re the Russians in Rawai (and Chalong). I think you only need visit Villa Market on most days to get a good grasp of how many Russians are actually living here as resident expats (not tourists), with Rawai and Chalong being popular with them for the variety of houses, facilities etc. The proximity of the 'Family' at the Tesco Lotus shopping centre is the reason they, like many others including myself, are using the place. As you also said, the owner is an Israeli. How many Russian/USSR Jews make up the background nationality of the israeli population do you think? No country lost as many people in WWII as the Russians, and the exodus of it's Jewish population afterwards was greater than any other nation.

Anyway, back to your point. We've all been to better restaurants of different ethnicity in our respective home countries, but this is here, this is now. The 'Family' is what it is, and like it or not, it's one of the rare successful non-Thai food outlets in Phuket. Fine dining it's not, but it's selling point is reasonable food at reasonable prices, in reasonable surroundings. A good supper/lunch venue.

Oh, I've not been to any Russian bars in Thailand, though I have lived in Russia for a few years.

Sorry I will add to that. You state reasonable surroundings??? It looks onto a 4 lane highway buddy. It fuels my suspicion that if the place is full of Russians then they arent that fussy about their surroundings.

What businesses do Russians get involved in here? Latex factories, Real Estate, Russian hooker bars, dive shops. Can anyone add to this?

All these look like a money wash to me. I mean seriously how many latex factories, Bars, Dive Shops and Real estate agents can Phuket sustain? And people accuse Thais of copying others

Edited by IrishIvan

OK, I don't want to labour this, but the constraints on most non-Thai food outlets here are lack of authentic ingredients at economic prices, and sufficiently trained and acquainted staff to prepare the food. You would have to go to Bangkok to obtain non-Thai food to near equal to that which is of average standard in most of our home countries. Note that the 'Family' doesn't advertise itself as providing Arabic food, it's Mediterranean, and I agree that it falls way short of Lebanese food which if done well is truly great.

The Lithuanian food that you describe is the equivalent of Thai street food (but it's not sold on the street there at it's too cold). Incidentally, I know that you can buy Pelmeni is available from a Russian food store on Chaofa West (though they're simple to make yourself as they're only dumplings).

Sorry I will add to that. You state reasonable surroundings??? It looks onto a 4 lane highway buddy. It fuels my suspicion that if the place is full of Russians then they arent that fussy about their surroundings.

This is becoming painful. By reasonable surroundings I was referring to the standard of the interior, air con etc. Been there a long time, probably still be there when you've long gone.

OK, I don't want to labour this, but the constraints on most non-Thai food outlets here are lack of authentic ingredients at economic prices, and sufficiently trained and acquainted staff to prepare the food. You would have to go to Bangkok to obtain non-Thai food to near equal to that which is of average standard in most of our home countries. Note that the 'Family' doesn't advertise itself as providing Arabic food, it's Mediterranean, and I agree that it falls way short of Lebanese food which if done well is truly great.

The Lithuanian food that you describe is the equivalent of Thai street food (but it's not sold on the street there at it's too cold). Incidentally, I know that you can buy Pelmeni is available from a Russian food store on Chaofa West (though they're simple to make yourself as they're only dumplings).

Really where exactly do they sell them?

This is becoming painful. By reasonable surroundings I was referring to the standard of the interior, air con etc. Been there a long time, probably still be there when you've long gone.

Well it was located next to the shitty little lottery stand opposite the Police station when I first got to Phuket.Things change quickly in this country, There was no Russians there then.

Aircon? Must be a new addition along with the Russians

Edited by IrishIvan

^

Travel from Chalong Circle north towards Central. Just after the hydroponic salad place/We Coffee shop traffic lights, there's a small strip of shops and a dentist on the left hand side. It's in there. You'll find that they're frozen though (which is how you normally buy them in Russia unless you make them yourself).

Here's a recipe for you:

http://www.ruscuisine.com/recipes/breads-and-pastry/dumplings/n--524

A good site for Russian food recipes which I've used quite a bit.

^

Travel from Chalong Circle north towards Central. Just after the hydroponic salad place/We Coffee shop traffic lights, there's a small strip of shops and a dentist on the left hand side. It's in there. You'll find that they're frozen though (which is how you normally buy them in Russia unless you make them yourself).

Here's a recipe for you:

http://www.ruscuisin...umplings/n--524

A good site for Russian food recipes which I've used quite a bit.

Sweet thanks buddy

What businesses do Russians get involved in here? Latex factories, Real Estate, Russian hooker bars, dive shops. Can anyone add to this?

Not sure why you've got a hard on for Russians, but you'll find that like any other expat Nationality, their businesses here are geared to servicing their compatriot tourists, the same as British, American, Australian and Scandinavian business expats here. Difference is that they tend to cater solely for Russians, but that's more to do with language (and a certain extent to culture also) than anything else.

Not sure why you've got a hard on for Russians, but you'll find that like any other expat Nationality, their businesses here are geared to servicing their compatriot tourists, the same as British, American, Australian and Scandinavian business expats here. Difference is that they tend to cater solely for Russians, but that's more to do with language (and a certain extent to culture also) than anything else.

Ok I get it, Like the Aussie Bar in Patong? 'Its geared to service compatriot tourists but servicing their own'? Got it

Russian food? Bleeeech!!

Only thing edible is blinis for breakfast.

Have to disagree, they have some really great food. However, if you have a concern about cholesterol, you wouldn't appreciate the liberal quantities of eggs and mayonnaise typically found in their dishes.

Russian food? Bleeeech!!

Only thing edible is blinis for breakfast.

Have to disagree, they have some really great food. However, if you have a concern about cholesterol, you wouldn't appreciate the liberal quantities of eggs and mayonnaise typically found in their dishes.

Borscht is great 'Mama food'!

I know it from the time of the cold war, so I call it Russian food. Even if it should be originally from the Ukraine!

Having just finished my contract in Kazakhstan where i was working and travelling with a lot of Russians over the last year and living in what is now a predominantly Russian soi in Chalong I would have to say that Karen Bravo has hit the nail on the head with the ugly Russian theory about the nouveau riche and the rough working folk from siberia. Especially when they are traveling in packs. Yesterday on my flight back here there was a group from Siberia who cracked open a few litre bottles of whiskey and just passed them round neat. Even though they were wasted and blocking the aisle the staff still served them when the whiskey was gone. As we were waiting for the door to open to get off in Bkk, one of them staggered over to the cabin crew girl with an empty bottle still in hand, said thank you in English then kissed her on the tits! You could put this down to a in flight New years celebration but Ive seen similar stuff on quite a few flights, they don't give a s**t when they've had a drink. Lighting up in the toilet and falling on and annoying other passengers etc. On the other hand most of my neighbours here are fine and seem to be pretty sociable between themselves but they don't mix much. I would also have to add that the food is pretty much terrible!

Having just finished my contract in Kazakhstan where i was working and travelling with a lot of Russians over the last year and living in what is now a predominantly Russian soi in Chalong I would have to say that Karen Bravo has hit the nail on the head with the ugly Russian theory about the nouveau riche and the rough working folk from siberia. Especially when they are traveling in packs. Yesterday on my flight back here there was a group from Siberia who cracked open a few litre bottles of whiskey and just passed them round neat. Even though they were wasted and blocking the aisle the staff still served them when the whiskey was gone. As we were waiting for the door to open to get off in Bkk, one of them staggered over to the cabin crew girl with an empty bottle still in hand, said thank you in English then kissed her on the tits! You could put this down to a in flight New years celebration but Ive seen similar stuff on quite a few flights, they don't give a s**t when they've had a drink. Lighting up in the toilet and falling on and annoying other passengers etc. On the other hand most of my neighbours here are fine and seem to be pretty sociable between themselves but they don't mix much. I would also have to add that the food is pretty much terrible!

Sounds like a better way to spend a flight than sitting there listening to all the crying babies and having the air hostesses stop serving you light beers. Which airline was this? I want to fly it

• Like 1

Another glowing tribute to the delights of Phuket. clap2.gif

Yeah I wouldnt bother coming down here if your looking for hummous, also if you dont like Russians it might be a bit hard for you. Is there many Russians in Hua Hin?

Termites have nothing on them.

^

Beetroot soup? You can keep it!

Sir, I’m disappointed that you’ve decided not to avail yourself to the delights of the Russkie Menu, being the cosmopolitan chap you are. Yesterday, I was persuaded to partake in some said fayre, here in Patong, and, although cautious, I tucked into a bowl of (Unpronounceable name) Weak Cabbage Soup served with Sawdust Bread. There were sundry unidentified bits in the broth and I assumed these to be croutons. Made a nice change from Pizza.tongue.png

• Like 1

Another glowing tribute to the delights of Phuket. clap2.gif

Yeah I wouldnt bother coming down here if your looking for hummous, also if you dont like Russians it might be a bit hard for you. Is there many Russians in Hua Hin?

I have seen a few, usually families. Well dressed and quiet. Very different than the babushkas that would push in line at the Jungceylon Big C. The differences here are noticeable. I haven't seen any off those Bangla street sows with the rose or butterfly tattoos on their loins, nor their greasy male companions with the loser sleeve tattoos of barbed wire or neck tattoos. I've popped into the Burger King here to pick up a BK shake a few times and what a difference compared to the Patong Beach outlet. Well behaved foreigners. What I like about this place unlike Patong is the abundance of Thais. Lots and lots of middle class & wealthy Thais. Discreet, low key and polite. No one with the leased mercedes or BMW carrying on like a big shot. The foreigners here might be older than those found in patong, but they are so much better behaved and polite. To be blunt, I can't wait to be done with Phuket. I haven't even had one brown out, power outage here, and yet this time last year I had a few between Christmas and New Year's at the Patong condo. The water pressure is good too. I am rekindling my romance with thailand.

Might have been mentioned already, details a bit sketchy but yesterday here in Karon, a russian driven car ran into a tut tuk and refused to pay the damage. Apparently it blew up so out of hand that some army had to come along to give the police a hand to get the russians under control.

We didn't see it happen, but by fluke, my mate saw the same tuk tuk driver today recognize the russian driver and he punched him in the face-that was one angry tuk tuk driver. (heard that they all went to the police station in protest b4 the army came ).

Haven't their visa's been reduced to 5 year limits now I heard (from the beach chair guy so don't quote me on that!)

just an observance, why do so many Russians, ( men and women) have so many tattoo's ? many look like ex cons with their bodies covered in ink.

ABSOLUTELY NOT ... in opposition to the Australians, Germans, USAmericans and other western nationals, I bet 90% Russians are TATOO FREE.... never saw a Russian girl tatooed...they are beautiful like they are...most of them. Obviously the westerners need the colour to show how cool they are....as more colour as more afraid they are about life...its more like a shield - body armor :)

Might have been mentioned already, details a bit sketchy but yesterday here in Karon, a russian driven car ran into a tut tuk and refused to pay the damage. Apparently it blew up so out of hand that some army had to come along to give the police a hand to get the russians under control.

We didn't see it happen, but by fluke, my mate saw the same tuk tuk driver today recognize the russian driver and he punched him in the face-that was one angry tuk tuk driver. (heard that they all went to the police station in protest b4 the army came ).

Haven't their visa's been reduced to 5 year limits now I heard (from the beach chair guy so don't quote me on that!)

I have been for a new year party in Kata Karon and many people there are really upset and pi...d off by the Russians.

Until today I personally never experienced any kind of problems with them. They are mostly friendly when talked too but never started talking as far as I remember. Like they dont want have anything to do with other Nationals. Its like they are arrogant but I think often its just because most of them speak very little English. I have lots of them in the Restaurant, NEVER anybody brought own food or drinks into it, but I heard a lot of stories already from Patong, Kata, Karon etc.

Today I woke up 4 in the morning, terrible loud music from our neighbors house. Owner is Russian, I met him as a nice guy, guess the people he rented the house to are not so nice like he is. My wife goes to their house at around 3 in the morning, they did not open, so she called the police, I never saw her so angry before. She cooks in the Restaurant, works 14h a day and just need her night time sleep.

Nothing wrong with a party, but karaoke like someone kill Buffalos is really not the kind of thing belongs to a Dschungle area where u can hear birds coughing.

It is NEVER ... the Russians...or the English or the Australians. its always just some people, no matter what nationals.

After what i see here since some years we got 2 kind of Russians. The wealthy ones, like my neighbor who just give a sh1t about some million Baht....and the normal Tourists, some have money and eat in Restaurants like every other normal people do also. Then there are the low budget Russians...and they are really on LOW Budget....eating at pancake stalls or at 7Eleven and bringing a bottle of water to safe 2 baht..... However, we should not forget they are relativly new to tourism....lets hope they learn a little bit to respect others...some, not all of them ;)