Motogp 2013 + Sbk,bsb Motorbike Racing

Bluetongue

Well the season has officially kicked off with the Valencia testing, even though it is not 2013 yet.

If you were asleep in 2012, Jorge Lorenzo won the title with a defence that seemed to falter at the end but had enough points. He ended the year with a spectacular high side crash. Dani Pedrosa and Casey Stoner his main two rivals suffered setbacks that cost them enough points. Stoner has now retired, the rumours of done deals to bring him back in a year are I suspect, just that. Mick Doohan mainly responsible I think. Pedrosa and Lorenzo are back on the same teams factory Honda and Yamaha respectively. Joining them are up and comer Marc Marquez on the Honda and legendary champion Valentino Rossi on the Yamaha. Marquez' pedigree suggests that he will join the battle at the front. Rossi is returning to the top flight Japanese machine after a two year stint on an Italian Ducati which didn't work out for him. The big question is will he be able to run with the above three. Returning for Ducati this time is the underrated Andrea Dovisioso, and perennial top 10 finisher Nicky Hayden. 2012 rookie Stefan Bradl plus Alvaro Bautista remain on their satellite Honda bikes as does Cal Crutchlow on the Yamaha. He is joined by Bradley Smith who seems fortunate to have got the ride and may be out of his league. Ducati satellite bikes will be ridden by Ben Spies and Andrea Iannone. Then come the CRT bikes which will have to be another post when I am more informed. Or if someone else has the goods, please post away.

Thats one series, there are many, stay tuned for a few updates.

• Like 1

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just to bump this to the top. James Ellison got the flick from Paul Birds team and Yonny Hernandez on a CRT Aprilia will team up with Michael Laverty on an as yet unnamed second bike. Another Laverty, you Brits have a lot of bro's an pa's racing, its hard to keep track of although everyone else does it too.

Laverty's, Dunlop's, Haslam's, Bridewell's, Rutter's are the Rea's brothers?

Australia had Doohan's, Magee's, Johnson's. America has the Haydens there must be about 4 of them. Any American readers here, seeing you guys have 3 GPs and still a few riders, what are your chances for the coming year?

Latest FIM calendar for 2013. 1 star is a night race, 2 stars a Saurday race and 3 stars MOTOGP only.

07 April Qatar* Doha/Losail

21 April Americas Austin

05 May Spain Jerez de la Frontera

19 May France Le Mans

2 June Italy Mugello

16 June Catalunya Circuit de Catalunya

29 June Netherlands** TT Assen

14 July Germany Sachsenring

21 July United States*** Laguna Seca

18 August Indianapolis Indianapolis

25 August Czech Republic Brno

01 September Great Britain Silverstone

15 September San Marino & Riviera di Rimini Marco Simoncelli Misano

29 September Aragón MotorLand Aragón

13 October Malaysia Sepang

20 October Australia Phillip Island

27 October Japan Motegi

10 November Valencia Ricardo Tormo-Valencia

Edited by Bluetongue

Hey, so good to get chatting about Bike Racing again, and looking forward to 2013,

I will of course watch Moto Gp and comment, but my main interest is WSB & BSB & Irish Road Racing & the TT, i will try to keep you all up to scratch with these, can watch live or Youtube recordings, {yes, i live in Thailand}

BT, you ask,or talk about family bike racers, and im sure Kwasaki will bear me out with this, Michael Rutters dad, Tony Rutter was in the 250/350cc racing british championship class for many years, 70s & 80s, it was a real hard charching series, all on tz250/350 yams,

Dunlops, what can you say about this family? I had a good long chat with Joey years ago at the Alley Pally bike show in the HRC Caravan, [he had forgotten his baccy and spotted me rolling up an Old Holborn] but a good genuine bloke, then his big crash at Paddock hill bend with Stephane Mertens put him out of racing that year, although i was a spectator, i cant remember what happened,

Joeys brothers boys Michael and William have there bikes sorted for the coming year, thats good news, could you imagine an Irish race or a TT without a Dunlop??

Better go, mrs just waved the chequered flag, more soon,,

• Like 1

Just to bump this to the top. James Ellison got the flick from Paul Birds team and Yonny Hernandez on a CRT Aprilia will team up with Michael Laverty on an as yet unnamed second bike. Another Laverty, you Brits have a lot of bro's an pa's racing, its hard to keep track of although everyone else does it too.

Laverty's, Dunlop's, Haslam's, Bridewell's, Rutter's are the Rea's brothers?

Australia had Doohan's, Magee's, Johnson's. America has the Haydens there must be about 4 of them. Any American readers here, seeing you guys have 3 GPs and still a few riders, what are your chances for the coming year?

How many can you remember http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_motorcycle_racers smile.png

Here's the brits http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:English_motorcycle_racers. laugh.pngbiggrin.png

Remember as reading I use to love going to Wembley Stadium to watch Speedway on Thursday nights when I was a kid.

Well the Kiwi Superbikes are on. Stroud is winning. As per usual I think. Anyone remember Graeme Crosby he would have to be their most well known. I saw him race down under against Haslam Gardner and Co. There was Brit named Buckmaster but the Aussies quickly renamed him Backmarker he has brothers going around too I think.

The list goes on Aussies, Waters, Yanks Bostroms, who could forget the Roberts.

The quick Wikipedia search came up with Tony Hatton whose son Bernie is a handy rider who runs track days that I have been to, black flagged me one day for passing underneath, also taught Anthony West everything he knows, except how to control his old man

Graeme Crosby, blimey BT, he raced a lot in UK, and will always be remebered for his sit up and beg Morowaki Kawasaki and Youshimura Suzuki, [this is from memory not web ] great bloke indeed and always easy to spot in the pack,

Also Simon Buckmaster, was ok always a top 10 bloke and now i think a team manager in WSB?

Favourite Kiwis are Slight,Crosby,Crafar,Britten, top blokes they are..Dunno if there are any new Kiwis coming through??

Alstare has taken over Ducati's factory team for next season and 2014 – 15 years after both organisations last collaborated.

The Belgian outfit took a sabbatical this year after ending its long-standing relationship with Suzuki at the end of 2011, but makes a welcome return with Carlos Checa and former Superstock 1000 champion Ayrton Badovini on the new 1199 Panigale machines.

That was the 4th Dec BT, so old news, but welcome news that Dukes havent pulled out of WSB, like Yam did last year,

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Lickey, I think I knew that, just hadn't sunk in.

Starved for racing action check out the Troy Bayliss Classic on Jan 19. He's got himself, Randy DePuniet, Garry McCoy, Chris Vermuelen, Jason Crump plus a host of Aussie stars lined up should be a hoot, a motard thing I think.

Its in Taree, a lovely part of the world and close to some of the best scratching roads in Australia, like the Putty Road from Singleton to Windsor, or Bucketts Way from Gloucester to Walcha, may be also called Thunderbolt's way after the old bushranger that hung out there. My personal favourite Wauchope to Walcha up the Oxley highway, also waterfall way between Coffs Harbour and Armidale, not to mention Glen Innes to Ramornie near Grafton, some of the fastest mountain roads you would see anywhere. Of course my own personal racetrack the Mount Lindesay highway from Rathdowney to Woodenbong would start the day off if I was riding down from Brisbane, which I'm not because I live in Thailand and only get to watch the local teenagers which is a lot scarier.

New Year everyone.

I'm considering going to the pre season Moto GP testing at Sepang next month, it is only about 45 minutes away. Not sure if its open to the public but I will phone to ask.

Would have to take a day off......

Edited by soihok

It would be nice for Ducati if they find another Casey lurking somewhere in the four riders they have now for 2013.

I had to smile at one of Bernhard Gobmeier press conference comments though & no mention of VR :-

" And the bike should be rideable for everyone, it should not just be a motorcycle that Casey Stoner can win on."

No PC on the MotoGP web site they have put Valentino's name first in the team line up.biggrin.png

Although earlier, both Loris Capirossi and Troy Bayliss won on it also. You could assume that Nicky Hayden after 4?years would not be the Casey lurking among the 4 riders. Ben Spies, well maybe, his biggest hurdle last year was staying on the Yamaha once he got near the front, I wonder whether that will be the case again. Andrea Dovisioso a definite chance, he may well regard this season and next as his best hope yet and he can definitely ride, it seems his qualifying lets him down a bit forcing him to sort of dice for 4th or something allowing the top guys to get away. Andrea Iannone, last but not least, coming from the 1 motor series he may appreciate the Ducati's speed advantage (if it still has one).

Valentino number one rider for Yamaha, what are the odds 2/1, 3/1, 20/1. Probably somewhere in the middle but he is I think the more marketable still.

• Like 1

Great riders Loris & Troy and yea won on Ducati V4 and VR got a podium laugh.png but Ducati with tongue in cheek I think, mean winning a Championship.

Not being a top engineer, only a DIY'er I am still interested into reckoning the engine configuration is the problem with the Ducati, Honda used it only on a twin where it seems to work as does the Ducati but when they used it on a V four it didn't do well, if it was any good Honda I'm sure would use it too.

They changed just about everything last year but the engine, good luck to Andrea anyway and I hope he does well.

I think Ben " Elbowz " should tell em to throw away some of that pesky computer control although it is a MotoGP bike and just let him gun it, he always did well in AMA & WSBK. biggrin.png

I have just finished looking at 2012 back to back and the last race where the CRT bike, Jorge was coming up to lap seem to help him make a mistake and could of been very serious for him, hope CRT don't get in the way next year and they flag them or at least do something.

2013 Karel Abraham on a CRT bike why does that seem to worry me.? rolleyes.gif

Still it looks interesting for 2013 and looking forward to 7th April.

Blimey Kwackersaki, you really gonna wait till April? Im looking forward to 24th Feb when WSB starts at Philip Island,

Ive exhausted nearly all the bike racing on the Tube and need a new fix, 1 months time should do it for me,

My dear Mum sent me a Jarno Saarinen DVD for Xmas, watched it twice already, main reason [although Sari was a great racer] is that the MVs of Read and Ago create a marvelous soundtrack, having witnessed them over the early 70s and even sat on Readys MV in the Brands paddock,

Everything nowadays is 2/3/4 into 1 exhausts, sounds ok i suppose, but 4 open megas, the screaming/howling noise was a joy,

Crash.net polls,

Redposa MGP rider of 2012

Tom Sykes WSB

John Mc Guiness Road Racer of the year,

Michael Dunlop, Irish road racer of the year,

Valentino was about 12th i think, but that should change this year!!!!

Blimey Kwackersaki, you really gonna wait till April? Im looking forward to 24th Feb when WSB starts at Philip Island,

Ive exhausted nearly all the bike racing on the Tube and need a new fix, 1 months time should do it for me,

My dear Mum sent me a Jarno Saarinen DVD for Xmas, watched it twice already, main reason [although Sari was a great racer] is that the MVs of Read and Ago create a marvelous soundtrack, having witnessed them over the early 70s and even sat on Readys MV in the Brands paddock,

Everything nowadays is 2/3/4 into 1 exhausts, sounds ok i suppose, but 4 open megas, the screaming/howling noise was a joy,

Crash.net polls,

Redposa MGP rider of 2012

Tom Sykes WSB

John Mc Guiness Road Racer of the year,

Michael Dunlop, Irish road racer of the year,

Valentino was about 12th i think, but that should change this year!!!!

No I will watch Wsb, bsb & IOM but I have always like prototype developement which will I guess sadly come to some kind of end.

Thing is, as development is a constant strive we are at the top of the pyramid, which is endless.

As we enter into an age which is trying to change physics, the costs become unrealistic. This is what has happened to MotoGP.

I really hope Dorna doesn't screw up WSBK in the name of making MotoGP look better, but somehow I think that this may be the plan.

I won't get to the practice at Sepang, I will be on nights.

So here is a song to make our hearts glad that we have, once more, a frenzy of Bike Racing ahead of us this year.

Cheers

Well I guess I was really trying to say I wish they would just let MotoGP go it's own way without all the restrictions they have kept putting on it over the years.sick.gif

I think that's why the likes of Stoner retired, I don't think he liked the CRT coming into it and personally I go along with that.

As for the likes of the Dorna chumps they probably will screw things up.

I am still dreaming of a Honda V5 1200.biggrin.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thats the end of the Sepang tests, DP,JL,VR,MM,

In my mind thats a good showing for Vale & Marquez, both sorta rookies with new bikes, brilliant, Cal & Brad 5th & 8th fastest, way ahead of the Ducatis, When are Spucati gonna listen to there riders??

WSB, the Duke Pancake is ready for testing at Philip Island, although i didnt see the stick-on headlight bits they are all supposed to wear this year, that all starts in about 2 weeks time, so not long fellas, bring it on!!!

Yes its not looking good for the Dukes, 2 seconds off the pace and behind Bradley is well, frankly pathetic. A plethora of CRT bikes. The 2 top men, the question remains can Vale stay with them and will Marquez, and can Cal catch.

WSBK cant even sort out their website to reflect the teams and riders for this year yet so I'm not hopeful that Dorna has improved anything. Tom is looking good for this one.

• Like 1

Firstly stick on headlight bits. It reminds me of the first time I went to Bathurst Easter 1980. They had a race called the Arai 500 for superbikes, as it was going to finish pretty late they were supposed to have headlights and brake lights. They blackflagged one of the leading contenders Dennis Neill and he came into the pits to have a torch ducttaped to his fairing, still came 3rd. Cost him the race I'm pretty sure.

Turning to this year, I renewed my subscription to True in January. I waited until the last minute as I was aware that Fox was replacing ESPN for one of the sport channels, the one that showed the WSBK last year. As ESPN are still shown as the Asian rights holders on WSBK website I was concerned. When I saw Fox advertising saying they would continue to show everything ESPN did I renewed. Last night I saw an ad for WSBK Phillip Island in 9 days (hooray). It said watch the superbikes down under, see Max Biaggi defend his crown, Max this Max that. So we'll see but as Max has retired it will be a bit difficult for him.

Think I'll tip Scott for a top 3 finish this year. Obviously Asparagus will be hard to beat and may be some other chargers coming through. A lot of guys have been around for a few years now, time to do something. Tom Luthi doesn't enthuse me on that basis.

post-87221-0-22650900-1361064689_thumb.j

One scorched pancake Ayrton Badovini Ducati (Panigale)

Leon Camier topped the Phillip Island tests but totalled his bike as well. Guintoli, Melandri, Laverty, Sykes 14th <deleted>

Checa tummy upset did not ride

Edited by Bluetongue

Lots of offs due to the re-surfacing i would think, they should have got Moaner and his new "mates" to have a few V8 races there, just to get some rubber down, and some grip for the bikes! or perhaps this is the first time they can collect data for the new 17in wheels??

Only 19 on the grid this year, 23 in MotoGp, bit sad really when i watch Youtube WSB racing from years ago when there would be 34odd bikes,

Im still up for Tom to do it, and yes, Scott would be a good bet in GP2,,

Fabrizzio (Fab from now on), Laverty, Melandri. Camier, Davies, Haslam, Sykes after QPI. Checa 12th after a big morning crash, dont know about Rea. They still aren't down to Checas Tuesday time yet. Unbeknownst to me they had a further 2 days of testing this week. It was said the track surface was coming in and the rubber laying down. Maybe Moaner did a few laps on the weekend

Phillip Island grid after Superpole, its starting at 8.00am Thai time

Results:
1. Carlos Checa (Ducati) 1'30.234 average 177.339 kph;
2. Eugene
Laverty (Aprilia) 1'30.429;
3. Michel Fabrizio (Aprilia) 1'30.581;
4. Tom
Sykes (Kawasaki) 1'30.615;
5. Marco Melandri (BMW) 1'30.615;
6. Sylvain
Guintoli (Aprilia) 1'30.683;
7. Leon Camier (Suzuki) 1'30.991;