Paying For A Modelling Portfolio

suneeoki

Hello,

I would like to start a small modelling portfolio, however, I'm currently very shy.

I understand that portfolios can be built up over time for free while working for a modelling agency, however, by paying for a portfolio, I will hopefully find the photo shoot easier to do, as I will not be wasting someone else's money.

Additionally, experiencing a shoot without the pressure of an agency will hopefully help me build my confidence up.

Does anyone know of a photography studio that does this type of work in Bangkok, which can also provide a make-up artist?

Thank you in advance.

I am sure there are any number of photographers who will help you with a portfolio. Just take a large collection of money with you. It depends on your budget as to what you want your folio to look like.

Rather than spend large amounts of money on photographers talk to the people who hire the models and find out what they want. Talk to more than one and get recomendations for photographers.

You should find a photographer who can photograph people. These photographers usually know make-up artists. There are some people who do not like to work with people, while they are good photographers, they do better work with things that do not talk back.

Another way to get to photographers, is to find a school that has a photography stream. Student photographers often need models and can not afford them. You will get a range of work in style and quality, but you will get experience. One thing good models learn is how to look at the camera.

As to make-up artists, you need to find someone familiar with make-up for photography. It is very different to "going out" make-up. I used a beauty salon for some glamour work, the boss was very good and the results were good. Then one day she was not available, so I used the 2IC. Unfortunatley this person was not familiar with photographic make-up. The customers liked the make-up at the time, but it did not photograph well. I had to explain to the make-up person that she had made the customers look like they had consumed too many drinks, not sexy and glamorous like they were hoping. The make-up lady understood she messed up when she saw the photos. We had to reshoot some, and lost sales on the rest.

Another trap for the unwary is that some (expensive) brands of make-up do not photograph well, they look good in daylight. They go white when flash is used. A good make-up person will know how their products work. A good make-up school or training is great. The people that have done the make-up class with the multi-level marketing group they are with are usually limited in their knowlege, and they rarely use of different brands to get the look needed.

One other thing to consider is that some people photograph well. Some of the better models do not look anything super spectacular in the flesh, but put them in front of a camera with the correct make-up and lights and they glow. The same goes for catwalk models, some are great on the catwalk but do not photograph well.

Hope this helps.