Thailand's Nbtc Probing Controversial Live Broadcast By Thaksin

webfact

PM'S BROTHER

NBTC probing live TV broadcast by Thaksin

The Nation

30195972-01_big.jpg

Agency reviewing if state Channel 11 abused licence; to respond on Friday

BANGKOK: -- The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission will on Friday present its response to the controversial broadcast of fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

"The NBTC is empowered to enforce the broadcasting law," NBTC member Supinya Klangnarong said.

The controversy erupted on Sunday after state-run Channel 11 aired a boxing match from Macao presided over by Thaksin, who made a speech rebutting critics about his loyalty to the monarchy.

Station managers claimed they could not block the live broadcast because it had sold the airtime to a private operator.

Supinya said the NBTC response would seek to address three issues.

The first was whether the station abused its public service by selling the airtime.

The second was whether the public was properly informed in advance about the programme change to accommodate the live broadcast.

The third was whether the sale of airtime violated the broadcasting law.

Supinya said the NBTC would review the legitimacy of the broadcasting licence held by the government's Public Relations Department.

The review would be conducted in conjunction with a long-term plan to reallocate airwaves, she said.

Deputy Commerce Minister Natthawut Saikua said Thaksin, like other Thai expats, took part in this month's activities to honour HM the King, coinciding with His Majesty's birthday (four days earlier).

Natthawut said parties involved with the boxing match in question had said they did not arrange the appearance of Thaksin in advance.

Natthawut, a red-shirt leader, saw no reason to make a political issue out of Thaksin's speech professing loyalty. He dismissed claims that a majority of the people objected to a fugitive being allowed to appear on state television, saying he had not detected any negative sentiment.

Democrat MP Ong-art Klampaiboon said he suspected a plot for Thaksin to appear on the state-run television. Two of the organisers had given conflicting statements, he said. Kulthon Prachaubmoh said he met and invited Thaksin at short notice but Chaiyasit Shinawatra said the programme was planned in advance.

Thaksin fan clubs posted messages on social media about waiting to see his appearance in television.

PM: govt not involved

Prime Minister Yingluck Shina-watra said the government had no involvement in the matter, arguing that Channel 11 had sole jurisdiction over the content of the broadcast.

Yingluck said she had learned about the live broadcast from news reports, as she did not watch the programme.

"As far as I know, I understand the programme was about a sporting event which has no bearing on the country's security."

She said she was not in a position to intervene in all issues, such as television programmes.

Programming should be decided by the station management and if there was no security aspect to consider, the government would not get involved. She was informed about Thaksin's appearance after the live broadcast ended, she said.

In a talk to the Asia Society in Hong Kong yesterday, the former PM said his sister's government should hold a referendum to gauge people's opinions on amendments to the constitution before going ahead with any changes.

"Before, there was no justice in the Thai political system and I personally believe that a good reconciliation [sic] will happen when the law is enforced in a fair and equal manner," Thaksin said.

"Reconciliation is not about me receiving an amnesty so that I can return home, because I'm already familiar with staying abroad," he said.

Meanwhile, Yingluck said after the Cabinet meeting yesterday her government had decided to allow public participation in the charter amendment process by getting the Interior and Justice ministries to hold public hearings and then a referendum before voting on a third reading of the controversial bill to rewrite the constitution.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-12

"Before, there was no justice in the Thai political system and I personally believe that a good reconciliation [sic] will happen when the law is enforced in a fair and equal manner," Thaksin said.

I agree, so long as the law enforcement also applies to the red shirts, the PTP and the fugitive and he comes back to serve his sentence.

• Like 1

'Fair justice', so one can assume he means that he will accept fair justice, and he did receive fair justice on an abuse of power charge and was sentenced to 2 years in jail, but of course he sees himself as special, someone who can rewrite / interpret the law to whatever pleases his ego and morals.

• Like 1

Quote: Natthawut said parties involved with the boxing match in question had said they did not arrange the appearance of Thaksin in advance.

So as he just happened to be in the area at the time of the match, waltzed up to the ring, climbed in uninvited, picked up a microphone & started to share his feelings with the nation regarding the monarchy ??

Another probe, another waste of time.. nothing will be done, nobody will be held accountable & nothing will change..

• Like 2

It would have been a good opportunity for Interpol to grab the scumbag and haul him off to The Hague to answer charges of mass murder. That would have been good entertainment - some plainclothes guys jumping in the the ring and slapping cuffs on the scoundrel and hauling him away, as he bleats in his whiney voice, "I told you I was through with politics!" "I never to hurt anybody" "I am victim" "I am poor, like all the sheeple people in Issan who love me so much!" (that's what Thaksin inferred publicly, 9 days before the news broke of him selling AIS to Temasak).

• Like 1

The way to deal with this is to have the Taksin court cases investigated by an independant commission to see whether the correct legal processes and laws were followed.

That would seem a prudent way forward especially given the seemingly unlimited appeals and extended bail (even after sentencing) that others enjoy in the Kingdom.

What Thaksin said actually rings true - reconciliation can only happen when the law is enforced in a fair and equal manner, unfortunately forgetting the fair and equal manner it would be a miracle if the law was actually enforced at all in Thailand.

The law is very selectively enforced here and it's quite clear that wealthy and powerful individuals only get prosecuted when other wealthy and powerful individuals are pushing it as an agenda, usually a political one. This works for both sides of the political spectrum. In everyday life, politics aside, the rich generally act with impunity and the poor get shafted, that is the unwritten law of the land.

It's high time Thaksin returned, it's the only way any sort of reconciliation will take place and if it needs a retrial/ independent investigation of the original trial then fine, let's get on with it and move Thailand forward, better than continually moving in circles...

The way to deal with this is to have the Taksin court cases investigated by an independant commission to see whether the correct legal processes and laws were followed.

Now there are people that say: Let Thaksin come back as a free man first and do all his cases again (that would take 10 years and during those 10 years he is a free man). Funny, that is exactly what Yingluck said to CNN the first day she took office: We have to look at my brothers’ cases again. Thaksin would then be innocent until proven guilty. Such a scenario would be the joke of the century.

Independent commission? In a country where EVERYTHIING is politicized? That is virtually impossible, and you know that. And if such a commission could ever be set up, 99% of all Thai politicians and officials would be guilty of any sort of crime.

In this perfectly legal (Thai) country who would be the government?

And do you honestly believe that Thaksin could be cleared of all the dozens of cases against him (by this independent commission)? The answer would (most probably) be no and therefore Thaksin is only interested in an amnesty. He will never come back before this amnesty is in place.

I just noticed that my post has little in common with the thread topic. The Mods are free to delete it.

Edited by Nickymaster

Now there are people that say: Let Thaksin come back as a free man first and do all his cases again (that would take 10 years and during those 10 years he is a free man). Funny, that is exactly what Yingluck said to CNN the first day she took office: We have to look at my brothers’ cases again. Thaksin would then be innocent until proven guilty. Such a scenario would be the joke of the century.

Independent commission? In a country where EVERYTHIING is politicized? That is virtually impossible, and you know that. And if such a commission could ever be set up, 99% of all Thai politicians and officials would be guilty of any sort of crime.

And do you honestly believe that Thaksin could be cleared of all the dozens of cases against him (by this independent commission)? The answer would (most probably) be no and therefore Thaksin is only interested in an amnesty. He will never come back before this amnesty is in place.

I just noticed that my post has little in common with the thread topic. The Mods are free to delete it.

Everything is politicised...except when it relates to Thaksin?

99% of politicians are guilty for some sort of crime but ignoring that and making a scape goat out of the main opponent to your favoured party is acceptable?

I guess, given your take on independent commissions in Thailand, that you also accept the reluctance of many to accept the findings of the independent commission set up by the Dems to investigate the deaths in 2010?

No it's not. That would single this particular court case out for special attention. Thaksin was tried and found guilty. He then chose to jump bail and abscond rather than appeal. His lawyers must have felt there were no grounds of appeal. Therefore there is no reason to suggest the correct legal processes and laws were not followed. He won't come back because there are other charges waiting which again his lawyers must be concerned over. That's why he needs a general amnesty to whitwash everything.

The way to deal with this is for the government to follow the law, cancel his illegally issued Thai passport and request extradition where treaties exist. Fat chance of that happening when the government is your family and clan of course.

The NBTC investigation will be the usual waste of time. Nothing will happen.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 2

99% of politicians are guilty for some sort of crime but ignoring that and making a scape goat out of the main opponent to your favoured party is acceptable?

I guess, given your take on independent commissions in Thailand, that you also accept the reluctance of many to accept the findings of the independent commission set up by the Dems to investigate the deaths in 2010?

Don't guess.

Just sounds like this weeks sick Thaksin joke.

Will this nonsense ever stop?

Will the media ever stop promoting Thaksin day-in-and-day-out?

When will the majority of Thai people realise that the only thing that Thaksin is interested in is Thaksin.

When will the majority of Thai people realise that Thaksin was found guilty and he is now a convicted fugitive criminal?

• Like 2

Don't guess.

The usual stunning literary response. Care to actually answer the questions raised?! Then no one would have to guess, venture or speculate as to what you really think...

As it is we can only go on what you write but when you contradict yourself from thread to thread don't be surprised if people are confused over where you really stand. To me it seems pretty obvious that you are blindly loyal to Abhisit and the Dems to the point that you fail to question anything. You seem to be blinkered to the point of blindness, unquestioning and zealous in your views.

When both sides employ remarkably similar underhand tactics one easily becomes unstuck by deploring the actions of one while showing unfaltering support for the other. I think this post serves as a good example of how this selective reasoning is applied and just how easily double standards manifest themselves.

If I am mistaken please clear it up by answering the three rather simple questions I responded to your post with.

The usual stunning literary response. Care to actually answer the questions raised?! Then no one would have to guess, venture or speculate as to what you really think...

As it is we can only go on what you write but when you contradict yourself from thread to thread don't be surprised if people are confused over where you really stand. To me it seems pretty obvious that you are blindly loyal to Abhisit and the Dems to the point that you fail to question anything. You seem to be blinkered to the point of blindness, unquestioning and zealous in your views.

When both sides employ remarkably similar underhand tactics one easily becomes unstuck by deploring the actions of one while showing unfaltering support for the other. I think this post serves as a good example of how this selective reasoning is applied and just how easily double standards manifest themselves.

If I am mistaken please clear it up by answering the three rather simple questions I responded to your post with.

To me it seems pretty obvious that you are blindly loyal to Thaksin and the Reds to the point that you fail to question anything. You seem to be blinkered to the point of blindness, unquestioning and zealous in your views.

• Like 2

To me it seems pretty obvious that you are blindly loyal to Thaksin and the Reds to the point that you fail to question anything. You seem to be blinkered to the point of blindness, unquestioning and zealous in your views.

Would you care to answer for Nickymaster?

If you take the time to actually read all of my posts you'll see I'm critical of Thaksin, the Red shirts, Abhisit & the Yellows. I also like to play Devil's advocate and counter irrational posts when I read them. Label me whatever you want but if you have no actual relevant contribution to the points raised or the topic please stick to PMs rather than derailing the thread. I'm building up quite a store of interesting PMs from some of our less sane members on here...

So back to the actual discussion do you want to answer the points raised or just stick to pointing fingers and calling people names?

So back to the actual discussion do you want to answer the points raised or just stick to pointing fingers and calling people names?

I'll stick to taking the p*ss and offending people thanks smile.png

Whatever floats your boat, you're in good company on here. Perhaps you and Nickymaster could form some sort of club, you could award each other gold stars and pat each other on the back from time to time thumbsup.gif

No it's not. That would single this particular court case out for special attention. Thaksin was tried and found guilty. He then chose to jump bail and abscond rather than appeal. His lawyers must have felt there were no grounds of appeal. Therefore there is no reason to suggest the correct legal processes and laws were not followed. He won't come back because there are other charges waiting which again his lawyers must be concerned over. That's why he needs a general amnesty to whitwash everything.

The way to deal with this is for the government to follow the law, cancel his illegally issued Thai passport and request extradition where treaties exist. Fat chance of that happening when the government is your family and clan of course.

This particular court case needs special attention if Thailand as a country is to move forward with reconciliation. As another poster says, everything in Thailand is politicized. If that is true then a commission needs to examine if this case was politicized, too.

I'm sure most posters here would get out of the country pretty quickly if they were faced with trumped-up charges. So let an independent commission investigate with the provisio that Thaksin accepts its verdict, whatever that may be.

There's plenty of examples in the west of miscarriages of justice that are re-investigated, so there is a precedence for this type of action. Unless the court cases are re-examined, I can't see Thailand ever moving forward on the issue of Thaksin.

This particular court case needs special attention if Thailand as a country is to move forward with reconciliation. As another poster says, everything in Thailand is politicized. If that is true then a commission needs to examine if this case was politicized, too.

I'm sure most posters here would get out of the country pretty quickly if they were faced with trumped-up charges. So let an independent commission investigate with the provisio that Thaksin accepts its verdict, whatever that may be.

There's plenty of examples in the west of miscarriages of justice that are re-investigated, so there is a precedence for this type of action. Unless the court cases are re-examined, I can't see Thailand ever moving forward on the issue of Thaksin.

The only case k. Thaksin is convicted in was politicised in the sense that upto that time the case was ignored. The case seemed clear and a verdict was reached, two years confinement. K. Thaksin c.s. may not have expected that at first, but with the judges even sentencing two of his lawyers (because the judges didn't feel like accepting a lunchbox stuffed with money) it suddenly became a very politized affair to blame our innocent, white as driven snow convict for all that is wrong. Difficult to see that an independent commission can come to a different conclusion or verdict, unless you want to drop it to a foreign commission that is, in which case the guilty verdict might lead to a different sentence. It wouldn't stop the political aspects though, it would just confirm foreigners don't understand Thai and unique Thai circumstances wink.png

Then why not starting from the beginning? Reopen Thaksin's asset concealment case, were he got off scott free because some of the judges though, "hey he is gulty all right, but if we sentence him there's going to be trouble"

Or maybe reopen the case of "Shipping Moo", key witness on a fraud case against Thaksin's company, murdered before he could testify.

I mean, clean slate, begin from scratch, right?

• Like 2

I agree, so long as the law enforcement also applies to the red shirts, the PTP and the fugitive and he comes back to serve his sentence.

By now we all know that Taksin's conviction is unsound and that the punitive sentencing is an embarrassment to Thailand. Although I favor the present PTP government I do wish that Taksin would conduct himself wisely and let Thailand move on.

Then why not starting from the beginning? Reopen Thaksin's asset concealment case, were he got off scott free because some of the judges though, "hey he is gulty all right, but if we sentence him there's going to be trouble"

Or maybe reopen the case of "Shipping Moo", key witness on a fraud case against Thaksin's company, murdered before he could testify.

Or maybe we should get on with our lives and let Taksin get on with his.
  • Like 2

Ah yes, the look-the-other-way-when-you-see-wrong c#ap.

It's Thaksin (with an H) that should let Thailand and it's inhabitants get on with their lives, instead of insisting in his right to rule over the country, leading his band of political mercenaries and red shirted sycophants into his goal of a dynastic kleptocracy.

• Like 1

Ah yes, the look-the-other-way-when-you-see-wrong c#ap.

It's Thaksin (with an H) that should let Thailand and it's inhabitants get on with their lives, instead of insisting in his right to rule over the country, leading his band of political mercenaries and red shirted sycophants into his goal of a dynastic kleptocracy.

Unfortunately his ego and incessant need to line his own pockets means that he will never give up and never stop trying.

• Like 1

No it's not. That would single this particular court case out for special attention. Thaksin was tried and found guilty. He then chose to jump bail and abscond rather than appeal. His lawyers must have felt there were no grounds of appeal. Therefore there is no reason to suggest the correct legal processes and laws were not followed. He won't come back because there are other charges waiting which again his lawyers must be concerned over. That's why he needs a general amnesty to whitwash everything. The way to deal with this is for the government to follow the law, cancel his illegally issued Thai passport and request extradition where treaties exist. Fat chance of that happening when the government is your family and clan of course. The NBTC investigation will be the usual waste of time. Nothing will happen.

Naive. Even if that were to happen, and again T was officially found to be the lying self-aggrandizing law-breaking scoundrel that he is, then he would go back to doing what he does best: disrupting Thailand, funding and inciting riots. Thailand has already proved its court system is subjective and sappy. It started when they let him get away with massive asset concealment, and continued when they allowed the scoundrel to go off to the Olympics in Beijing, right after being convicted of a felony.