So How Was Your Midlife Crisis?

mattjenson

I have my birthday coming up next week, always makes me think a little. I was made redundant at 43 and I sat in my lounge room staring at the wall for 4 hours, thinking "What the Christ am I going to do now?" My world came crashing down around my ears, and I was, for the first time, truly on my own.

Now after 20 years it still hurts. The rejection. Not being needed anymore. Not to say hello to my fellow workers and a twinge of regret each morning as I go for a walk (Yes, and a bit of jealousy, too) for all those who are rushing off to work.

Strange, isn't it? Surplus to requirements, ready for the scrap heap. Dead but you don't have the decency to lie down. You find it difficult to start again. The continual rejections. With the rejections came the inevitable breakdown in physical health.

I didn't mind getting old. We all have to accept that. But, I do resent that most employers look at me as an example of one who is totally washed up, and finished.

Is there life after work? Yes, there is. But some of us find it bloody hard to make the transition. I don't pretend to have an answer..............................

But if I was a doctor, I could say, midlife crises eh? Mmmmmm, have you thought of taking a holiday in Thailand?

I've been having a midlife crisis since middle school........

Seriously, when are we not in crisis, only to look back a few yeaars later and say, what the blazes was I getting stressed out for? Over something that was nothing. thumbsup.gif

One thing I have learnt from some of the more stable people on this site is that something good is just around the corner, provide you get off your arse and get to the corner. And remember, if you are ever feeling down, why just give a little whistle.

Nothing wrong with having a midlife crisis, there's a lot of research that indicates it is actually a good thing in terms of personal and gene survival.

The trick is not to turn your midlife crisis into a late life disaster.

Wow, I sure am glad I didn’t have to go through anything like that. It sounds very depressing. I never liked work, as it got in the way of living for me, so stopped at 40 and have remained happily unemployed for the last 18 years. Different priorities I suppose.

I like your thinking VF thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

So How Was Your Midlife Crisis?

Which one?

There's always something on the other side.

BTW, you weren't made redundant, your position was. It ain't about you.

Remember, the best revenge is to go out and live a better life after (fill in your rejection scenario here).

Really pisses 'em off.

Redundancy is just a way of life these days for everyone.

Forget about the revenge and pissing then off though.

Just move on and find something else, enjoy life, do something you want.

Why care what people or an anonymous company in your past thinks about you?

Wow, I sure am glad I didn’t have to go through anything like that. It sounds very depressing. I never liked work, as it got in the way of living for me, so stopped at 40 and have remained happily unemployed for the last 18 years. Different priorities I suppose.

stopped when 46 and happily unemployed since 23 years. regret that i did not stop when 40! dry.png

• Like 2

Luckily i have never been made redundant ,3 times in my life i have been unemployed ,as i had enough to live on ,but always been asked to work for companys and given in and gone back to "work" for a living ,at 55 i went part time and at 60 came to live here permanantly ,within 6 months was offered a job ,but this time said no and havnt done a stroke since ,wonderfull ,mind you having the money to do it does helpsmile.png

So you got made redundant once,and promptly collapsed!

In my working life I got made redundant six times, and 1982 was a bad year three times in one year,from three different companies,nothing to do with my abilities,companies were shedding Labour,left right and centre,it dents your Ego a bit,but I didn't take it personally,I refused to believe that I was on the Scrapheap.

I'm no hero,but I did what most others do,got up off my A** got another job,and got on with my life,with no whining "why me"the simple answer is "why not" no one is exempt from some bad luck in life,your place in the Sun needs to be earned the hard way! then you appreciate it more.

Sorry Buddy! Sympathy and Bitterness,is no help,long term,in fact they are your enemies!

Edited by MAJIC

I first experienced Asia when I was 26, and numerous journeys ensued. By the time I got married at 38 there really wasn't anything I hadn't tried or done, maybe that is why I never had a mid life crisis, as there really wasn't anything left that I could have felt I had missed out on. I am now 54 and still have no desire for a red sports car, had that when I was 22, what is there that I haven't done in the manly way of looking at things. I've ridden bikes, windsurfers, shagged to buggery, travelled, been wasted, I think maybe my whole life was a crisis without realising it.

Maybe I felt a twinge when I turned 30, realizing I'd never be a kid again, but after that it was smooth sailing. I never lost a job, but after 40 I was always self employed. I got to travel the world and live as I liked. I like being retired (almost) although a few old clients still want something and I oblige.

When I come to LOS I'm going to try to teach English for free in a village school. I never did like sitting on my azz.