I Remember When....

Teak

There was the time that we had to pay a tax to leave the Kingdom. Remember the 'Dragon Lady' ?

Tough, fair, if you followed the rules.....but, tough.

I remember putting 500 baht in my passport and passing it to her.

She replied in perfect English " What is this for ? "

My exit fee ?

Okay, she said.....stamp, stamp. issued a receipt, gave change. " You can leave the Kingdom."

...Ken

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when ... 10B bought a plate of fried-rice, or 3 skewers of grilled-meat, from the road-side vendor, who was happy to bring it to where I was sitting, at the beer-bar ! rolleyes.gif

... and 3,00B got a month's rental of a reasonable beach-hut with fan, 50 meters from the beach on Koh Samui ! smile.png

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 1

Hi Teak, I would not call her a Dragon Lady she was OK with me,the Tax

paid was minimal,but she was all ways asking for you to bring presents

back for her.

There was none of this 90 days reporting either,might have been law but

was never enforced,if only that could happen now..

The only place to buy Farang food was Tantraphan on Thae Pae Road,

only 1 car motor bike rental place, No estate agents,I knew of anyway.

As with everything things change for the better and the worse ,

regards Worgeordie

I remember when ... 10B bought a plate of fried-rice, or 3 skewers of grilled-meat, from the road-side vendor, who was happy to bring it to where I was sitting, at the beer-bar ! rolleyes.gif

... and 3,00B got a month's rental of a reasonable beach-hut with fan, 50 meters from the beach on Koh Samui ! smile.png

Eh when I were a lad..................and you try telling that to the kids of today biggrin.png

• Like 2

when my GF (now wife) and i were getting hair washed, etc...in CM and son of woman doing my nail cutting came in and ran out screaming: Paw Paw...Falang Falang, .... and other words i did not recognize...

Scared that poor kid right out of the shop! 55555

The departure tax is still there, but the government found out they get more with less work if the airlines collect it in the price of the ticket

Don't think he was referring to airport departure tax since it sounded more like tax clearance for income taxes which was required for people staying longer periods....and the lady collecting it was well known.

The Karen Hut was the best bar in town.

Buying 5 beers for next to nothing (with John's 20% discount card), whilst sitting on Cozy Corner's veranda

We must have met at sometime. My card number was #2 and written on the back by Somchai 'one free beer on visit'. So got my 1st beer free on every visit. wink.png

And I remember this outlet in Bangkok near Erawan in the 80's. Wish it would come back. Did they ever have them in Chiang Mai?

Never, but they had one in Pattaya that folded in the 1997 financial mess. I miss the buttermilk biscuits and New Orleans beans and rice.

Buying 5 beers for next to nothing (with John's 20% discount card), whilst sitting on Cozy Corner's veranda

We must have met at sometime. My card number was #2 and written on the back by Somchai 'one free beer on visit'. So got my 1st beer free on every visit. wink.png

Of course we've met.......many times. wink.png

Hey you're the guy that just has one free beer and leaves.laugh.png

All mine says is 'forever' and it's still honoured as you know......but alas no Cozy veranda, no writing letters to faraway farangs for cute girls and no Lisu language lessons. whistling.gif

biggrin.png

Definitely not me, though I may sipped on that one a bit too long. After a while, didn't even have to show my card. If a new girl served me the old hands would be sure to inform her, no check bin for that beer. tongue.png

And then there was Black Cat (before John bought it) and Dominoes. After TrueBlue came in and UP2YOU I was a regular there and on the darts league for a while until my arm gave out on me.

biggrin.png

Definitely not me, though I may sipped on that one a bit too long. After a while, didn't even have to show my card. If a new girl served me the old hands would be sure to inform her, no check bin for that beer. tongue.png

And then there was Black Cat (before John bought it) and Dominoes. After TrueBlue came in and UP2YOU I was a regular there and on the darts league for a while until my arm gave out on me.

The Wild West(s)!!......ah the famous darts league, Administrator Adam, Dennis bringing darts and boards from Malaysia, John (deceased) self appointed captain of The Escape......(Steady Eddy).

Always wondered who that bloke sitting alone in UP2YOU was, as I was (cough cough) investigating the latest sleaze in BBCentre. I knew lifting that glass 16 hours a day would do your arm in. tongue.png

I forgot Abe!!!!

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

You get your nails cut? :-o

You don't? ermm.gif

She always picks the time I am on the computer. OK time for the toe nails. Can't quite get her to do the fingers when I am reading.

Such is like in the land of smiles and a few foreign Grinch's.

Sorry to haved steped in on the thread hijack. Keep the oldies coming,

Edited by hellodolly

Do I hear the choir practicing?

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,

And never brought to mind?

Should auld acquaintance be forgot

And auld lang syne?

Chorus:

For auld lang syne, my dear,

For auld lang syne,

We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet

For auld lang syne!

We twa hae run about the braes,

And pu'd the gowans fine,

But we've wander'd mony a weary fit

Sin auld lang syne.

We twa hae paidl't in the burn

Frae morning sun till dine,

But seas between us braid hae roar'd

Sin auld lang syne.

And there's a hand, my trusty fiere,

And gie's a hand o' thine,

And we'll tak a right guid willie-waught

For auld lang syne!

And surely ye'll be your pint' stowp,

And surely I'll be mine,

And we'll tak a cup o' kindness yet

For auld lang syne!

How is that different today? (Ok it may be 30 or 35 baht now, but it would be nothing short of an Economic Fairytale Miracle of the World if there existed a place without inflation; it'd probably have pink winged ponies too.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai