I Remember When....

Teak

I remember when ... 10B bought a plate of fried-rice, or 3 skewers of grilled-meat, from the road-side vendor, who was happy to bring it to where I was sitting, at the beer-bar ! rolleyes.gif

How is that different today? (Ok it may be 30 or 35 baht now, but it would be nothing short of an Economic Fairytale Miracle of the World if there existed a place without inflation; it'd probably have pink winged ponies too.)

There was a time when a fair sized bowl of food was 2baht 50 and a plate of rice was 50 satang. Bami Noodles in Bangkock was 4.50 for thais and 5baht for foreigners. My bamee supplier was very apologetic as he said all the others made him charge that. THe reason was foreigners ate more of the peanuts and stuff in their soup. He always asked who the food was for if we went for takeaway and charged apropriately. The year was 1970.

• Like 2

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I remember this outlet in Bangkok near Erawan in the 80's. Wish it would come back. Did they ever have them in Chiang Mai?

Never, but they had one in Pattaya that folded in the 1997 financial mess. I miss the buttermilk biscuits and New Orleans beans and rice.

I take it that you guys dont travel much. There is a Popeyes in the Domestic food court in Suvarnabhumi Airport... There is also a Krispy Kreme doughnuts there now too.

And don't forget about the Carls Jr on Suk Soi 22, with a second one opening in Silom sometime soon!

-Mestizo

I take it that you guys dont travel much. There is a Popeyes in the Domestic food court in Suvarnabhumi Airport... There is also a Krispy Kreme doughnuts there now too.

It's been quite a while since I've been to Swampy, actually only once since the airport opened, but now do seem to remember seeing one but didn't have time to dive into it.

Can remember the canal road (Hang Dong to Suthep intersection) with only one potholed lane on each side. Nightmare to drive back and forth to work.

That was only 10 years ago?

It felt longer as I was driving that section daily 16 years ago. smile.png

Old West was a chance to mix with the locals....

Old West was good. 1st time I met Carabao was there before he became so big to need stadiums to show. There was a similar place just a little further North and on the other side of the moat where you would see his 'hogs' parked in front occasionally. Can't remember the name though.

Old West was a chance to mix with the locals....

Old West was good. 1st time I met Carabao was there before he became so big to need stadiums to show. There was a similar place just a little further North and on the other side of the moat where you would see his 'hogs' parked in front occasionally. Can't remember the name though.

Wasn't Old West on the north side of the moat? Near where Computer Plaza is? I may have been "confused" when I visited whistling.gif

Wasn't Old West on the north side of the moat? Near where Computer Plaza is? I may have been "confused" when I visited whistling.gif

There was a place just around the corner from Rider's Corner bar going west on the moat maybe 100 meters on the left. Thought that was Old West? Similar style anyway.

//edit - it was also western style but that was 19-20 years ago and it may be that they moved it further west and north across the moat.

Edited by Tywais
Corrected my directions

I remeber a Time in ko samui,where The People make Fire on The Beach,have only Little Bit bangalow,The water was clean!

I remember a Time,where phangan have n่o electricy, and The People dont care, there was only The Fire !

And then i remeber a Time The Streits in phangan was Not Full of concrete , a bike ride need from thongsala to thong nai pan 2 our!

And I remember a time in ko Tao where I can walk everywhere from had Yao to haad tian over the hill I walk around 100 times, last year my good old road was closed, that's a private road it's closed now, you cannot walk here anymore!

Good bye farang, good bye good old time,sadly you never come back!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I remeber a Time in ko samui,where The People make Fire on The Beach,have only Little Bit bangalow,The water was clean!

I remember a Time,where phangan have n่o electricy, and The People dont care, there was only The Fire !

And then i remeber a Time The Streits in phangan was Not Full of concrete , a bike ride need from thongsala to thong nai pan 2 our!

And I remember a time in ko Tao where I can walk everywhere from had Yao to haad tian over the hill I walk around 100 times, last year my good old road was closed, that's a private road it's closed now, you cannot walk here anymore!

Good bye farang, good bye good old time,sadly you never come back!

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

yip also remember no electricity koh panghan

going across on a coconut boat

5000 star room under the stars and the fire and bubbling water in bamboo with around 30 people

90 day reporting when it was in the other building. You walk in and you're the only one there.

Better still, when 90 day reporting was non-existent. And when I never had to go to immigration or labor for anything. 1st 10 years here, the university personnel did it all but immigration decided they wanted to see my face from now on.wink.png

• Like 1