I K E A Announces Growth Plans In Thailand: Bangkok

webfact

IKEA announces growth plans in Thailand

By Staff Reporter

ik2.jpg

The first IKEA store, located in Älmhult in Sweden. File photo, source: Wikipedia

BANGKOK: -- IKEA, the furniture store and “more” has announced new plans to expand, including 2 new stores around the capital within the current decade

Recently IKEA caught the eye of many foreigners in Thailand as it announced plans to import Christmas trees from Europe to sell in its flagship megastore and now plans have been published to add two more stores, after its successful launch at Mega-bangna shopping centre in Bangkok.

With a predicted 3.6 Million shoppers visiting the existing store in its first year of operation, the plans now include the opening of two more, one to the north and the other to the west of the city and the concept of being the key store within a shopping mall is seen as being successful.

Reports indicate that they will mirror the current operation at the two new locations.

Source: http://www.pattaya10...nd-more-stores/

pattaya_103_fm.png
--Pattaya 103 FM 2012-12-17

footer_n.gif

Bangkok already has one. We want one up north mad.gif

Yeah! Show 'em the money then! You know IKEA is not going to open their branch for your convenience. They only go by their research where many guidelines needed to be met, consumer spending, population, average household income, etc. It might eventually open there in Chiangmai but "show them the money" or spending will still be the issue.

Edited by huanga
  • Like 1

Yeah! Show 'em the money then! You know IKEA is not going to open their branch for your convenience. They only go by their research where many guidelines needed to be met, consumer spending, population, average household income, etc. It might eventually open there in Chiangmai but "show them the money" or spending will still be the issue.

From what I have read about how Ikea chooses locations, II don't think Chiang Mai stands a chance of seeing one any time soon. Ikea prefers to build in proven markets (such as adding the Bangkok market) but when going into new cities / states (at least in the US), they are like areas where about 2-million people live within 65 to 95 kilometers from the store. They also look closely at brand awareness in the area and an area where the population fall under one media market (TV, Radio, Newspaper) as well as per capita income.

Has any body else noticed in the majority of shopping mals around Bangkok music is not as loud and noise is being reduced since Ikea came. Me Can only think that the Foreign competition is showing the Thai shopping malls a better shopping expereince

• Like 2

I went to Ikea with my wife, son and sister-in-law. We were very pleased with their store and they have many products that suit our western and European tastes. The items we purchased had to be assembled at home, but out of 480 needed screws, there was not one missing, and the parts are of the best quality construction; sturdy, well threaded and durable.

I wish Ikea would come to Pattaya. We would love to shop there locally.

• Like 2

Agree, very unlikely they would set up in another city besides Bangkok because there isn't enough of the right factors to justify it. Besides, upcountry folks can buy in Bangkok and ship countrywide using Ikea's contracted shipping service. Offering online purchasing would be a great plus for out of town folks if they decide to do that. Its possible in the US but its not posssible in Thailand yet.

• Like 1

With the Garbage they sell, I can't believe people actually buy it let alone need a store close to them. Progress.......

Ideal furniture if you are renting out your property as some of it is cheap and cheerfull . When I lived in the Uk I purchased a leather corner suite from them for £1,000 best bit of furniture I ever had and when moving over here 3 years later I sold it for £500 it is not all garbage they sell and their meatballs are terrific Happy Days would love one to come to Samui !!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I'll Second that!

not me, i want one in phuket first, but not near my house

If IKEA does open in Phuket, you'd wish it's near your house. IKEA store will likely bring up land prices around its area. You can then sell your house, and with the windfall, build two new houses (one for living and one for rent) and furnish them both with IKEA products!

With the Garbage they sell, I can't believe people actually buy it let alone need a store close to them. Progress.......

That "garbage" is much better than any of the "crap" available in Thailand already, except certain imported goods at eg CDC, at horrendous prices. Their furniture is thought-through and flexible. I recently refurnished my living room, two bedrooms, a home office, and a storage/washing room with IKEA. Im very happy with the result.

You wont be happy in 2 - 4 years from now once it all falls apart, and I have bought (never again) lousy badly thought out furniture from them like a galss coffee tabel resting on 2 L things. It tipped over the scond anyone put any weight on one end. I now have a solid wood table you coudl jump up and down on. Also any surface parelel to the floor should never be glass as its a major cleanign heacahe. My rule for Ikea is to nver buy anything with wood or galss in it & you will be okay, I got a good double loft bed from them once and a nice towel+bathmat. Chiese made furnitre is vastly superiro quality by comparison and Chiness is considered cheap - Ikea is ultra cheap. Ask any carpenter/cabinetmaker what they think of ikea.

YES PLEASE!

Whatever the critics say, I've found the IKEA furniture I've bought, first class.

We need one in Chiang Mai to increase the choice, the quality and the competition.

• Like 1

YES PLEASE!

Whatever the critics say, I've found the IKEA furniture I've bought, first class.

We need one in Chiang Mai to increase the choice, the quality and the competition.

And seeing that most of BKK appears to be buying property up 'ere, they could consider it the 2nd BKK store thumbsup.gif

I'll Second that!

not me, i want one in phuket first, but not near my house

If IKEA does open in Phuket, you'd wish it's near your house. IKEA store will likely bring up land prices around its area. You can then sell your house, and with the windfall, build two new houses (one for living and one for rent) and furnish them both with IKEA products!

For a while now I have pictured an IKEA in that big lot between Big C and PIH.

I've bough quite a bit of ikea furniture over the years and I've had absolutely no problems!! We've recently bought quite a bit of furniture from Ikea and it's very good quality the sofas have a 10 year guarantee kitchens 25 years! yes they do sell some cheaper flimsy but they are dirt cheap and not really intended to last a lifetime. I looked in SB furniture at sofas for a comparison and the nearest to what ended up buying from ikea at 25k, was 80000฿ and when I asked about a guarantee the sales assistant looked at me with a blank expression, which changed to annoyance and sulking when I laboured the point!!

Yes I'm sure there are some very expensive import shops out there that sell fantastically expensive furniture, but you will not find anything in the same price range as Ikea that is anywhere near the quality for contemporary furniture.

The restaurant and food store are very good, now my freezer is full of meatballs!!

Ikea furniture does have its place. I have purchased their wares from Lakeside in Essex. Dining room table,brilliant,it folds into a small table when not in use,saving space in cramped home. Dining room table opened out for Thai dinner parties,lots of table top and seats 6.Good buy.

Ikea wardrobe,comes in flat pack,perfect to carry up our house's narrow stairs to 3rd floor.( a fully assembled wardrobe would not fit) Easy to assemble with Me as foreman reading the instructions,and organising Thai wifes tools skills.Teamwork. No wonder carpenters havent got a good word for IKEA.

Ikea meatballs Yuuck. My wife makes Tibetian meatballs (recipe available on search engine) lovely,bit of chilli added,yum yum.

Will I by IKEA in Thailand,of course,so the in laws can give it away to poor friends.

Ikea have had one loss making store. Moscow,bit of a social experiment that went wrong, Russian Mafia wanted protection money from a loss making venture. (this was 10 years ago) Do not know if IKEA have managed to turn this store around. Pattaya would be a suitable outlet,with Russian tastes on doorstep.