Stickers On Foreign Food Products

beano2274

It's a little more than beans for me, I'd like to know the sodium, calories and vitamins.

Oh, just look it up on the internet. Sorted.

Amazing how really easy it is to solve the most perplexing problems & complaints here.

You are right but before i did not have a phone with internet handy while shopping.

Also it might not always be easy to find. But i don't encounter the problem often as i dont buy that many processed stuff.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

I also find where they place the stickers annoying.

WD 40 or lighter fuel can usually remove/dissolve many " permanent " glues.

Not sure I`d want to be carrying it around whilst shopping and waiting a few minutes for it to soak in though.smile.png

It's a little more than beans for me, I'd like to know the sodium, calories and vitamins.

Oh, just look it up on the internet. Sorted.

Amazing how really easy it is to solve the most perplexing problems & complaints here.

You are right but before i did not have a phone with internet handy while shopping.

But since you live here, you know the issue and you can just check beforehand. Or you can get the item during a later visit. to the store.

Also it might not always be easy to find. But i don't encounter the problem often as i dont buy that many processed stuff.

Resources and analyses for every common product (the only type that you'd find in Thailand) are readily available on the net, if not from the manufacturer then from countless other sites. Info on a generic or a competing product is quite close enough.

And since you don't often buy processed products, there's no urgency anyway.

I mean just how hard is it to heat up a can of Campbells tomato soup?

You have to heat it ?? Learn something new every day. Next you'll be telling me that I have to add water to it as well. rolleyes.gif

Its a requirement to have the contents/instructions in Thai which is understandable but, as said, why do they have to place them over the English version ??

Add cream. Much tastiercoffee1.gif

Tried the heat method first and just as the sticker started to come loose the box caught on fire. Sprayed it with WD40 and lighter fulid but that made it worse so I threw it over into the next asile. It landed in the toilet paper display and I just escaped before the firemen arrived! Whew! Gotta be a better way!

You should have returned after the firmen had soaked it, I bet the label would have simply peeled off then. See shouldn't leave when a job is only half done.

If its that hard to work out in a country that speaks Thai, perhaps the time to learn is nigh. Or theres always ask a Thai or Google the ingredients.

Also how often to you wonder whats in an ingredient?, like if I buy pasta sauce then its just pasta sauce or whatever the food item may be.

If its that hard to work out in a country that speaks Thai, perhaps the time to learn is nigh. Or theres always ask a Thai or Google the ingredients.

Also how often to you wonder whats in an ingredient?, like if I buy pasta sauce then its just pasta sauce or whatever the food item may be.

Yeah, you can assume it's full of salt, sugar, fat, and carbs anyway. :)

Example. Black olive pesto from Italy with an English label. Sold at Villa Market. Ingredients label covered in Thai label. Of 100 bottles of that pesto, how many Thai people? coffee1.gif

Same with the Vegemite, no queues of Thais or non Australians lining up for that. They do have an uncanny accuracy for putting that rotten sticker exactly where you don't want it.

Example. Black olive pesto from Italy with an English label. Sold at Villa Market. Ingredients label covered in Thai label. Of 100 bottles of that pesto, how many Thai people? coffee1.gif

Same with the Vegemite, no queues of Thais or non Australians lining up for that. They do have an uncanny accuracy for putting that rotten sticker exactly where you don't want it.

Sure it's not a health warning on Vegemite?

And to prove I am not a racist POM marmite should have the same.

Edited by RabC

I mean just how hard is it to heat up a can of Campbells tomato soup?

You have to heat it ?? Learn something new every day. Next you'll be telling me that I have to add water to it as well. rolleyes.gif

Its a requirement to have the contents/instructions in Thai which is understandable but, as said, why do they have to place them over the English version ??

I will take a wild stab at this.... because THIS is Thailand?

I mean what imported, pre-cooked or processed, canned or packaged food product is so hellishly complicated that one needs to read the bloody instructions?

Is this just a guy thing? Most blokes happily buy [insert technological gizmo of choice here] and don't bother to read the manual and manage to work out how it is done. Since when has RTFM applied to a can of baked beans?

something that involves the addition of say, water or something else.

I bought jello for my kid the other day and could not read how much water to add.

I bought a marinade mix that required the addition of vinegar oil and lemon juice.

not rocket science, but nice to know the poportions.

I see what you mean. I use to use the red powder for red pork, just did apply to pork and leave to marinate in fridge overnight and cook the next day on bbq. My ex GF did tell me i was crazy as the direction say its to be mixed with water and to use in a different way.

She is gone now im glad to say clap2.gif and so i still do it my way as it makes it more arroi tongue.png

Exactly right, all. Yes, I can work out the Thai if need be in most instances (the font size is annoying, though). What gets me is when the names of ingredients are changed. E.g., [natural] flavoring to me does not mean the same thing as MSG. More and more processed foods are finding other ways to say MSG (like autolyzed yeast extract or what-not) because they know that consumers will reject the product otherwise. The same goes for trying to hide that products are made in (Red) China, which seems to be the case now for most 'Western' brands of chocolates.

Not the same perhaps but related.

I absolutely hate those Revenue stickers on bottles of wine or other alcohol!

I drink mainly Chivas whisky which now has a sort of "tear off" strip around the neck of the bottle which must be removed before the top can be unscrewed. Invariably the half-moron employed to affix this sticker has taken great care to put it over the "start" tab for the tear off strip - and the glue used is VERY hard to remove.

Grrr.

Patrick

I know the problem. I like to drink Carlsberg beer and the sticker is always placed over the opening and difficult to peel off. I nearly always get tiny bits of paper in my beer.

Yes, it's easy to open a tin of soup , add a 25 cl of water (or is it 50 cl? No, maybe 100 cl.) without having to read the instructions.

It's not always instant food that has these labels. They are also stuck on dried food in packets and again always seem to be plastered over the preparation instructions.

What amazes me most is that all the stickers on the same product are stuck in exactly the same place. I guess they are out on by hand so someone sits there and carefully places each label. That must be very time consuming. I've seen similar things happen in other countries but the labels are obviously put on at a much faster rate as they seem to be all over the place and that means you could be lucky and find one packet where the instructions are not covered.