Diy Smart-Tv ?

ETatBKK

can I simply connect a dump-TV to a PC, then the TV becomes a bit smater ? for the time being, only for viewing family photos and video, and ocassional internet browsing.

thinking of a very small PC sitting behind the TV with wifi connection to main network and contents. with Windows 8, would it make the 'living room' computer more easier ?

all idea welcome !

Sure you can do that. If you want you can even buy devices like this, which are specifically designed to do what you want: http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=320

Of course the advantage of buying a "smart TV" is that you don't need any extra devices/computers/remotes that you have to turn on every time you want to watch a network video.

Personally I have a computer hooked up to my TV and run Windows Media Center on startup, which is useful; but the computer is bulky and takes time to boot up.

thanks guys, information appreciated. I actually went through 8 pages of discussion on another thread about Media Player, then I have to re-phase my word 'for the time being, only for viewing family photos and video, and ocassional internet browsing'.

with a 4-years-old Samsung Series 6 LCD TV with a build-in media player function, I can do ad-hoc viewing of photo and video on its USB port. however, I don't like the interface and the responsiveness of the media player, not even WDTV. I prefer more computer look and feel.

I am looking for a better integration with computer and connectivity. for example, I hide myself into the work corner when I am at home, just for the smooth flow of information. if my TV can do part of it, I could enjoy the comfort of the living room too.

the question is - how far we could build this integration by DIY components ( but not a smart-TV ) ?

Personally I have a computer hooked up to my TV and run Windows Media Center on startup, which is useful; but the computer is bulky and takes time to boot up.

hi Dave

compare with the stand-alone media player, what make you take the choice of connecting a computer to a TV ?

that's what I am turning in my head - a fast boot SSD, and a compact DIY build, as a terminal type of applications. contents still in the server next floor.

Or, why not just use a cheap chinese Android Tablet with HDMI and a wireless mouse?

I have this setup in my bedroom.

It's really cool (and looks cool) and the possibilities are endless.

With the front camera, you could even make your own bedroom videos, use it for Skype...tongue.png

There is a XBMC Version for Android also. But not sure about the development status.

Edited by Turkleton

hi Dave

compare with the stand-alone media player, what make you take the choice of connecting a computer to a TV ?

Games

My Samsung 'smart' series 6 LED TV is far from smart, connecting a normal LED to a computer is the best way, I think. Browsing photos on a tv is slow, compared with the speed you can flick through them on a PC, it's the best way. Plus all normal peripherals work instead of having to buy a 7,000b Samsung webcam to use the Skype app. A real smart-tv killer is how easily they can be hacked if your wifi connection isn't secure; Samsung will update the software but they lack the anti-virus programs of PCs.

hi Dave

Games

that obviously a good reason, that a media player won't able to do :-) similarly, I don't want my work corner work computer to become a game computer, that's why extending it to the living room . . .

My Samsung 'smart' series 6 LED TV is far from smart, connecting a normal LED to a computer is the best way, I think. Browsing photos on a tv is slow, compared with the speed you can flick through them on a PC, it's the best way. Plus all normal peripherals work instead of having to buy a 7,000b Samsung webcam to use the Skype app. A real smart-tv killer is how easily they can be hacked if your wifi connection isn't secure; Samsung will update the software but they lack the anti-virus programs of PCs.

that exactly the point !! while we get used to the responsiveness and the look and feel of the computer, today's smart TV still steps behind, although you pay thousand baht on the Samsung wifi dongle and another thousand baht on the Skype webcam, they just connected but don't really as smooth as on a PC.