Tales From The 20 Baht Shop

phuketsub

I would like to start a thread called "tales from the 20 baht shop" and include, for a start, some items purchased at the small one next to the Bangneaw School (off Phuket Rd, Phuket Town).

I bought four very attractive cigarette lighters in a pack for 20 baht, well less than the 10baht they charge for run-of-the-mill lighters at Supercheap. Good deal? Wrong.

When I went to light my cig for the first time a flame about six inches long came out, almost singeing my hair off. I also bought an ice cube tray there that cracked in half the first time I used it.

I have got some good deals at these places, but now I wonder it something is gonna blow up in my face every time I make a purchase...

The best one I know of is on Soi Keha in Rassada (Phuket's biggest public housing project)...

If anyone knows of a better one pls let me know...

post-40708-0-24861500-1355812921_thumb.j

" When I went to light my cig for the first time a flame about six inches long came out, almost singeing my hair off."

Right now, there are about 10 guys who set the flame on high at the factory, laughing there asses off.

I don't really understand the point of this thread. You bought some crappy lighters? Don't do it again. The Toto brand that I have bought for years for 5 Baht work fine. Make sure you adjust the valve on the front to - not + and then burn off a bit of the extra gas pressure and they work fine. I even have a sterling silver case they fit in that I've had for at least 15 years. Looks like a silver Bic lighter.

20 baht shop got one a few Villages away, look in some times......... Painting with gloss paint, much easier when done to bin the brush, so 3 for 20 baht is ideal.... back scratcher, they have 4 different type ones, no idea of any other shop that even sells them, packs of 100 cotton buds are fine, as are the ones in the presentation box.. 20 Biro type pens, pencils

​All items I have bought have been fine, but for 20 baht if something breaks 1st time well was only 20 baht don't buy that item there again....

As for the OP cigarette lighters, go to Makro buy a box works out @ under 4 baht per lighter.

I don't really understand the point of this thread. You bought some crappy lighters? Don't do it again. The Toto brand that I have bought for years for 5 Baht work fine. Make sure you adjust the valve on the front to - not + and then burn off a bit of the extra gas pressure and they work fine. I even have a sterling silver case they fit in that I've had for at least 15 years. Looks like a silver Bic lighter.

I guess the point was to raise a few smiles and get a fun thread started. I guess I didn't do a very good job of it though...

• Like 1

I guess the point was to raise a few smiles and get a fun thread started. I guess I didn't do a very good job of it though...

I'm enjoying it. But, perhaps a twist. What can you get for 20 Baht?

Today, I got a fried chicken leg and wing. Then later on, 2/3 of a Chang

Okay. Yesterday I got a fried chicken breast, a pineapple and a mango for 20 Baht a piece. Life is still good!

For 20 baht, you could get 'the touch' of a chicken leg, or a chicken breast.

Temporary.

And mostly, it is 50 baht, now!rolleyes.gif

Bit off topic talking about fried chicken, but cannot figure out at my nearest Village market, a nice Muslim Lady sell 1/2 a fried chicken for 30 baht, and that is no small chicken........... I cannot buy a uncooked chicken for that price and her fried, in front of you chicken tastes very very good, price up end of last year from 25 baht.. [you can keep that KFC very small dried up expensive rubbish]

​Pickup truck comes round the Village smoking well every day B-B-Q chicken is 20 baht but is maybe a 1/4 chicken

5555 swat 'appens when you caste your 20bt pearls before swine.

..Where can I find book matches in ....?

Is my disposable lighter 24kt case I bought in a 50bt shop real?

Should I have my refillable disposable lighter repaired ( the little LED flashlight don't work no more) or should I buy a new one?...

cheesy.gif

Forgot about them, the extra large lighters with LED flashlight on the bottom, now that is a real good buy for 20 baht..

When the electric goes out at night can never remember where the torch is , the lighters sure one in the kitchen, one on PC deck one on coffee table, no idea how they work but 2 old ones are empty but the LED flashlight on the bottom still works fine.

biggrin.png 20 baht can get some real good buys

15 years ago, when I lived in Phetchaburi, once a week one of those outside bars where you buy the girls plastic garlands would bring a busload of girls in from Bangkok who would sing and entertain. For 20 baht they would sit on your lap for a minute and you could touch their breasts. Do they do that everywhere?

That sounds like a 20 baht shop, i had in mind. One, that is now 50 baht (or very short minutes, now)

cheesy.gif

One thing you can get that is well worth 20 baht is a pen with a laser pointer at the back end. I got one several months ago and it still works, both the laser and the pen part.

I remember my dad's construction company was one of the first to use lasers for drain pipe construction (it helps keep the flow gradient exact) back in the 1970s and the laser came in a huge, heavy box and took an hour to set up.

Now you can get one for 20 baht and they are fun to use at night by tricking jingjoks into running in circles, chasing the light because they think it is an insect.

Fun for the feeble minded perhaps, but give it a try when you have had a few and you wont be disappointed.

Beggars belief how you 'don't really understand the point if the thread' yet continue to ramble on about a 5 baht lighter!!! cheesy.gif Priceless

Beggars belief how you 'don't really understand the point if the thread' yet continue to ramble on about a 5 baht lighter!!! cheesy.gif Priceless

I've missed you too! When are you leaving again?

Edited by Jimi007

One thing you can get that is well worth 20 baht is a pen with a laser pointer at the back end. I got one several months ago and it still works, both the laser and the pen part.

I remember my dad's construction company was one of the first to use lasers for drain pipe construction (it helps keep the flow gradient exact) back in the 1970s and the laser came in a huge, heavy box and took an hour to set up.

Now you can get one for 20 baht and they are fun to use at night by tricking jingjoks into running in circles, chasing the light because they think it is an insect.

Fun for the feeble minded perhaps, but give it a try when you have had a few and you wont be disappointed.

So you are going to tell us, the drain ploblems in Thailand are because of 20 Baht lasers?

But you said, it works fine!whistling.gif

Edited by noob7

So you are going to tell us, the drain ploblems in Thailand are because of 20 Baht lasers?

Er, no...these drains were built in New England and to the best of my knowledge they still work fine. I don't think laser technology is in use in drain construction here yet...

Er, no...these drains were built in New England and to the best of my knowledge they still work fine. I don't think laser technology is in use in drain construction here yet...

Yep bit different here, guess in New England water runs downwards ? here water needs to run upwards to go down the drain...... [check many peoples bathrooms, or many roads, even many brand new roads, the drain is a little bit higher]

Yep bit different here, guess in New England water runs downwards ? here water needs to run upwards to go down the drain...... [check many peoples bathrooms, or many roads, even many brand new roads, the drain is a little bit higher]

Funny, right?

And if they are, by accident, on the right level, they re adjust them!

http://goo.gl/maps/t8Lfs

But it's nothing wrong, with the drains! Only no one is telling the water, ....!

Funny, right?

But it's nothing wrong, with the drains! Only no one is telling the water, ....!

It's a bit lazy drainage which will start to work only after there is real work..

I suppose you are in UK currently?

Funny, right?

It's a bit lazy drainage which will start to work only after there is real work..

I suppose you are in UK currently?

nope, I only don't like the auto forwarding to google.co.th for every search.