Versys Service Manual (Thai)

Gweiloman

Does anyone have a copy of the above or know where I can get my hands on one?

I just sent my Versys to Real Motosports RKH for it's 12,000 km service. I reconfirmed with them that the oil, oil filter and spark plugs are to be changed. I didn't mention anything about the air filter (my bad). So of course they replaced it with a new one for 770 baht (no big deal) and were kind enough to give me back the used one. I tried to tell them that there was no need to replace the air filter but they insisted that for Thailand and for the Thai made Versys (haha, aren't all the V 650's in the world Thai made????), the air filter should be replaced at 12,000 kms. This apparently does not apply to Versys' in other countries.

Now I want to show them that it will also be stated in the Thai service manual that there isn't a need to replace the air filter.

All I need really is a copy of the Periodic Maintenance Chart (in Thai).

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, i don't have this manual. Just one thought i would like to add.

Most people complain if something hasn't been changed at service. Now you complain that the air filter got changed. OK, 770 Baht is money you can spend for a good dinner or other nice things. But a service manual is not the bible. And even the bible can be "interpreted" :) If you ride a bike in dusty conditions you have to change the air filter more frequently than in "clean" conditions. Maybe they just considered that you have ridden the bike in very dusty conditions and wanted to do something good to your bike? Even the oil should be changed more frequently in "dusty areas". And Thailand can be very dusty. But in some areas the air can be "clean". How to judge what is "definitely" wrong or right? Imo the Periodic Maintenance Chart just shows the minimum service to do.

Sorry, i don't have this manual. Just one thought i would like to add.

Most people complain if something hasn't been changed at service. Now you complain that the air filter got changed. OK, 770 Baht is money you can spend for a good dinner or other nice things. But a service manual is not the bible. And even the bible can be "interpreted" smile.png If you ride a bike in dusty conditions you have to change the air filter more frequently than in "clean" conditions. Maybe they just considered that you have ridden the bike in very dusty conditions and wanted to do something good to your bike? Even the oil should be changed more frequently in "dusty areas". And Thailand can be very dusty. But in some areas the air can be "clean". How to judge what is "definitely" wrong or right? Imo the Periodic Maintenance Chart just shows the minimum service to do.

I don't dispute what you are saying. Just that, it is not necessary to replace, only to clean and re-oil. It's only recommended to replace after 2 yrs (I've had my Versys for less than a year). I have a good mind to take out the new filter for a look, to ascertain that it is indeed new......

p/s: all my riding is on asphalt, I don't go off road so it's unlikely to have clogged up the air filter. In fact, the used one they returned to me doesn't look all that dirty either

post-143305-0-27493600-1355820023_thumb.

Edited by Gweiloman

I don't dispute what you are saying. Just that, it is not necessary to replace, only to clean and re-oil. It's only recommended to replace after 2 yrs (I've had my Versys for less than a year). I have a good mind to take out the new filter for a look, to ascertain that it is indeed new......

OK, sorry for my stupid comment. I thought it is a throw-away type filter. Than of course you are absolutely right.

if you want to skip the exchange of the air next time, get yourself a aftermarket filter which is washable (K&N, BN etc...)

Yes, considered that but if the mechanics can't even wash out the OEM filter, what chance that they will do a proper job with an aftermarket filter? :)

OK, sorry for my stupid comment. I thought it is a throw-away type filter. Than of course you are absolutely right.

No worries, any advice and comments are always helpful. That's what a forum is for after all. My bad that I did not mention initially that it's a re-usable and not throw away air filter.

I sent you a PM with the Service Manual. Cheers

Thanks, much appreciated. Problem is that this is in English, meaning not for Versys in Thailand :D. That's what they are trying to tell me, that for Thailand, it is recommended to change the air filter, unlike in other countries. Unbelievable!

Thanks, much appreciated. Problem is that this is in English, meaning not for Versys in Thailand biggrin.png. That's what they are trying to tell me, that for Thailand, it is recommended to change the air filter, unlike in other countries. Unbelievable!

Well this Service manual was given to me directly by Kawasaki Thailand. I think you can find the info in the Owner's manual which normally they gave you and is in Thai. if not then check the link I sent you in PM I have added a file.

Thanks, much appreciated. Problem is that this is in English, meaning not for Versys in Thailand biggrin.png. That's what they are trying to tell me, that for Thailand, it is recommended to change the air filter, unlike in other countries. Unbelievable!

Well this Service manual was given to me directly by Kawasaki Thailand. I think you can find the info in the Owner's manual which normally they gave you and is in Thai. if not then check the link I sent you in PM I have added a file.

Brilliant!! Thanks very much. It's stated very clearly in this THAI service manual as well that the air filter should only be cleaned and not replaced. I'm going to send a sms to the owner and see what he has to say. This should be fun :)

I have just checked. The Thai owners manual doesn't say that the air filter needs to be changed at 12K. See first line. However I have also checked on the Page 112 of the Thai Owner's Manual and it says that the air filter should either be cleaned or replaced if damaged.

post-149340-0-70519600-1355825281_thumb.

post-149340-0-57465100-1355825813_thumb.

Edited by Polanskiman

This is a side question... how did you managed to roll over 12k in less than a year?

Also I believe that the Versys is also manufactured in Japan, but I wouldn't swear on that.

Finally your air filter doesn't look that dirty. I guess a good clean with water or kerosene (if there is some oil in it) would have done the job. But honestly since you have already done 12k, for 770 baht I would rather have a new one.

Edited by Polanskiman

This is a side question... how did you managed to roll over 12k in less than a year?

Also I believe that the Versys is also manufactured in Japan, but I wouldn't swear on that.

Considering that I'm out of Thailand about 50% of the time, have a car and another scooter, yes, quite an achievement to roll over 12k in less than a year (my car in KL has done less than 40k in 6 yrs).

Each roundtrip to the missus' mooban (she drives with sprog and nanny and luggage) is about 1,200 km. I've done 3 of those. Just two weeks ago, returned from a trip to Petchabun, Uttaradit, Lampang, Kamphaeng Phet - that was about 2,000 km. Another time, rode from Yaso to Loei to Chiang Khan Buri and back - another 2k. Done Wang Nam Khiao / Khao Yai a few times as well. They add up quickly. I seldom ride it in Bangkok, preferring the PCX for lane splitting and easy parking.

I was under the impression that the Versys was made here - thus accounting for the incredible low price (duty free) as compared to other 650's. In the rest of the world, the Versys is priced on par with V-strom, BMW etc, thus making the Versys extremely good value here in Thailand.

Considering that I'm out of Thailand about 50% of the time, have a car and another scooter, yes, quite an achievement to roll over 12k in less than a year (my car in KL has done less than 40k in 6 yrs).

Each roundtrip to the missus' mooban (she drives with sprog and nanny and luggage) is about 1,200 km. I've done 3 of those. Just two weeks ago, returned from a trip to Petchabun, Uttaradit, Lampang, Kamphaeng Phet - that was about 2,000 km. Another time, rode from Yaso to Loei to Chiang Khan Buri and back - another 2k. Done Wang Nam Khiao / Khao Yai a few times as well. They add up quickly. I seldom ride it in Bangkok, preferring the PCX for lane splitting and easy parking.

I was under the impression that the Versys was made here - thus accounting for the incredible low price (duty free) as compared to other 650's. In the rest of the world, the Versys is priced on par with V-strom, BMW etc, thus making the Versys extremely good value here in Thailand.

True, Kms add up pretty quickly with those rides!

Yes I meant that the Versys is also manufactured in Japan, not only in Thailand. Those produced here are for the local and European market. Those for the North American Market (Canada included) are manufactured in Japan.

Edited by Polanskiman

Finally your air filter doesn't look that dirty. I guess a good clean with water or kerosene (if there is some oil in it) would have done the job. But honestly since you have already done 12k, for 770 baht I would rather have a new one.

555555, sorry to hijack.

But my 2012 Ninja 650 will have it's first Birthday in 3 days time and has covered 28,000km :D

555555, sorry to hijack.

But my 2012 Ninja 650 will have it's first Birthday in 3 days time and has covered 28,000km biggrin.png

Happy Birthday to it, Happy Birthday to it......

You're lucky you have the opportunity to ride so often. Sometimes though, even if I fancied going for a ride, the weather's just too darn boiling hot. How do you overcome this?

The airfilter should be cleaned / replaced every 18,000km, i had mine replaced at 18,000km and it was filthy, due to all the wet weather riding and air pollution we have to endure here in Bangkok. I would be tempted to replace it every 12,000km.

The funny thing is, you got your bike serviced at Real Motorsport, just around the corner from me. When i went in for my 18,000km service earlier this year they insisted it shouldn't be changed, it should only be changed every 2 years............... If i was to fool for that i could have easily covered 50,000km in that time, the poor engine would have been choking it's self to death.

Funny how after i showed them the US service manual and now they are replacing air filters at 12,000km instead of 2 years.........

P.S. I'm sure i only paid 200-300baht for my filter, and they are the same part number...........

555555, sorry to hijack.

But my 2012 Ninja 650 will have it's first Birthday in 3 days time and has covered 28,000km biggrin.png

You're lucky you have the opportunity to ride so often. Sometimes though, even if I fancied going for a ride, the weather's just too darn boiling hot. How do you overcome this?

Protective air mesh clothing, it really isn't too hot even when stuck in traffic, or it could be that i have just acclimatised to the heat here already... :)

They only part of me that gets hot are my hands (full race gloves) I'll get a pair that breath a little better at the Bangkok International Motorcycle Show in Early Feb :)

The airfilter should be cleaned / replaced every 18,000km, i had mine replaced at 18,000km and it was filthy, due to all the wet weather riding and air pollution we have to endure here in Bangkok. I would be tempted to replace it every 12,000km.

The funny thing is, you got your bike serviced at Real Motorsport, just around the corner from me. When i went in for my 18,000km service earlier this year they insisted it shouldn't be changed, it should only be changed every 2 years............... If i was to fool for that i could have easily covered 50,000km in that time, the poor engine would have been choking it's self to death.

Funny how after i showed them the US service manual and now they are replacing air filters at 12,000km instead of 2 years.........

P.S. I'm sure i only paid 200-300baht for my filter, and they are the same part number...........

According to the service manual, the first inspection of the air filter is 12,000 km - inspect / clean, no need to replace unless faulty / broken. Service manual also says to replace after 2 years.

However, my point is that there wasn't a need to replace it as it was broken or faulty. Could be that the mechanics were just too lazy to clean and took the easy option (hey, if that dude can afford Bht 280 k for a V, he can afford Bht 800 for an air filter mentality).

I did "complain" to the owner. Fair dues, he called me back after 30 minutes and we sorted the matter out. Basically, his point was that they were doing this as standard and no other customer was making a fuss. My point was that I was happy to have the oil, oil filter and spark plugs replaced as per the manual but should have been consulted about the air filter as this was not SOP. He agreed and said he would speak to his mechanics about it (and I believe he will as he's a really decent bloke).

The 200-300 baht filter is the oil filter, not the air filter.

555555, sorry to hijack.

Protective air mesh clothing, it really isn't too hot even when stuck in traffic, or it could be that i have just acclimatised to the heat here already... smile.png

They only part of me that gets hot are my hands (full race gloves) I'll get a pair that breath a little better at the Bangkok International Motorcycle Show in Early Feb smile.png

I have air mesh clothing as well but heck, I'm hot already in a T-shirt so having to put on another layer of clothing sometimes just seems too much of an effort. I've order an evaporative vest from the States and we'll see how we get on with that.

555555, sorry to hijack.

Yes as Gweiloman rightfully said, not everyone has the chance to ride that much. This is the best moment of the year so perhaps I will add some few Kms to mine soon :)