Two British Men Survive Plane Crash: Bangkok

webfact

UPDATE

Plane crash investigated

The Nation

30196398-01_big.jpg

PATHUM THANI: -- Officials from the Civil Aviation Department and Scientific Crime Detection Centre 1 yesterday inspected the wreckage of a two-seater Diamond DA-42 Twin Star, which crashed in a rice paddy in Pathum Thani’s Sam Khok district on Monday.

Asian Aerospace Services Ltd moved the smashed plane out of the field to a hangar at Don Mueang Airport. The firm will send the aircraft's flight-data recorder to a company in Germany for analysis.

The two Britons aboard the Bt30-million plane were identified as David Walls, 71, and Nicholas Turner, 54. They were still hospitalised and unable to give any information. Authorities said Walls is a millionaire in the UK and was piloting the plane when it crashed.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-19

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just interested.. as he was landing on a muddy field that would probably grab the wheels.. would he have been better landing gear up?...

Probably, I thought the same thing. Personally I'd rather scrap the belly than ending up upside down in muddy water.

just interested.. as he was landing on a muddy field that would probably grab the wheels.. would he have been better landing gear up?...

Probably, I thought the same thing. Personally I'd rather scrap the belly than ending up upside down in muddy water.

The DA42 Manual says:

NOTE

' If landing is performed off airfield, it may be beneficial to land

' with the gear UP to avoid excessive damage to the airplane.

' Note that the energy absorbing function of the landing gear

' is lost in such cases.

' NOTE

' Extending the gear and extending the flaps to LDG will

' increase drag and incur a high sink rate.

So it is up to the pilot.

Stunned!!

What kind of aviation geek aka nerds have we got here? I thought it was the 1990s Computer freaks who topped that list. Wrong!

It took the 25th poster to discuss the fact that two people SURVIVED a plane crash! Whilst the single / twin engined officianados can only debate what kind of plane it is! And then they can't decide even with a picture. Added to the fact there's a 77 year old involved yet it's all plane recognition and not human interest. Maybe people don't count in their world?

If the pilot is anything like the first 25 posters no doubt he was arguing the same thing at the time of the crash. Insisting he had two engines while his campanion was countering with a stubborn repetition of 'it's only one'. Hence the accident. Maybe switched one engine off. The noisy one.

I can only conclude that the pros who fly us home must be light years away from the dreamers who skit around in [or at least talk about] small planes.

Does anyone actually know what a small plane crash is? Something like scraping a bumper or catching the car door on a street post.

No deaths then or serious injuries .................hang on. Must get my priorities right: I'm still puzzling over the make of the tyres ................. mmnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Edited by antpet

What kind of aviation geek aka nerds have we got here?

Ones that are interested in flying and preventing/surviving forced landings (it wasn't a crash and yes I have seen quite a few) by learning from accidents as well as those who enjoy speculating I suppose. Feel free to add your human interest perspective, or don't read this thread if you are stunned so easily by any topic that deviates from your personal ideas of what is important to discuss.

What kind of aviation geek aka nerds have we got here?

Ones that are interested in flying and preventing/surviving forced landings (it wasn't a crash and yes I have seen quite a few) by learning from accidents as well as those who enjoy speculating I suppose. Feel free to add your human interest perspective, or don't read this thread if you are stunned so easily by any topic that deviates from your personal ideas of what is important to discuss.

Stunned!!

What kind of aviation geek aka nerds have we got here? I thought it was the 1990s Computer freaks who topped that list. Wrong!

It took the 25th poster to discuss the fact that two people SURVIVED a plane crash! Whilst the single / twin engined officianados can only debate what kind of plane it is! And then they can't decide even with a picture. Added to the fact there's a 77 year old involved yet it's all plane recognition and not human interest. Maybe people don't count in their world?

If the pilot is anything like the first 25 posters no doubt he was arguing the same thing at the time of the crash. Insisting he had two engines while his campanion was countering with a stubborn repetition of 'it's only one'. Hence the accident. Maybe switched one engine off. The noisy one.

I can only conclude that the pros who fly us home must be light years away from the dreamers who skit around in [or at least talk about] small planes.

Does anyone actually know what a small plane crash is? Something like scraping a bumper or catching the car door on a street post.

No deaths then or serious injuries .................hang on. Must get my priorities right: I'm still puzzling over the make of the tyres ................. mmnnnnnnnnnnnn.

If you don't like it take the bus, or perhaps a hike. The OP stated that both survived. Edited by Fozfromoz

Anyone know if this is the same person and DA-42 that nearly over-ran at Pattaya Airpark a couple years ago. I seem to remember that plan blew both tires and had some rather severe gear damage from the attempt (FYI, Pattaya Airpark is WAY too short for a DA-42 to operate safely from)

UPDATE

Plane crash investigated

The Nation

30196398-01_big.jpg

PATHUM THANI: -- Officials from the Civil Aviation Department and Scientific Crime Detection Centre 1 yesterday inspected the wreckage of a two-seater Diamond DA-42 Twin Star, which crashed in a rice paddy in Pathum Thani’s Sam Khok district on Monday.

Asian Aerospace Services Ltd moved the smashed plane out of the field to a hangar at Don Mueang Airport. The firm will send the aircraft's flight-data recorder to a company in Germany for analysis.

The two Britons aboard the Bt30-million plane were identified as David Walls, 71, and Nicholas Turner, 54. They were still hospitalised and unable to give any information. Authorities said Walls is a millionaire in the UK and was piloting the plane when it crashed.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-19

What a waste. This plane looked repairable until they cut the wings off... The DA42 is an amazingly tough aircraft and this probably could have been repaired if there wasn't any severe carbon delamination. Typical botched recovery in Thailand.

Lets get back to the actual story:

A plane crashed in Pathum Thani and 2 brits (1 elderly) walked away from it with only minor injuries.

Who gives a dam_n whether it had 1 or 2 engines etc, etc, etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give me a break.

What exactly, do you want broken?

• Like 1

The fact that it had two engines and the pilot/owner was in control, does cause some speculation regarding the cause. My guess is, for whatever reason, fuel stopped flowing to both engines. The aircraft then became a sort of glider. Someone living in Thailand would know that ricefields are muddy and wet, in which case a wheels-up landing would probably have been safer. But we weren't there, were we?

Edited by laobali
  • Like 1

Lets get back to the actual story:

A plane crashed in Pathum Thani and 2 brits (1 elderly) walked away from it with only minor injuries.

Who gives a dam_n whether it had 1 or 2 engines etc, etc, etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give me a break.

The same might be said in terms of who gives a dam_n about two Brit who were in a crash that they walked away from.

Fuel exhaustion would imply empty tanks; starvation could be caused by electronic or mechanical failure, e.g. fuel pump, broken line, carb, injector etc.

You seem to have changed your interest in this matter from one of concern about the individuals involved, to technical matters.

It seems odd, in relation to your initial post.

Many small twin engine planes cannot even maintain straight level flight on 1 engine. Not sure what the records show now but back in the 80s the fatal crash records of small light twins was worst than single engine light aircraft. Ì do not know this model but appears to be single engine to me. It has been years since I have flown but I do have a single engine pilot licence with a high performance retract sign off in my log book. I am far from an expert but know alittle bit.