Lamai Dying ?

Boater

The problem i think with Lamai is it's infrastructure is still years behind.

With it not being as young and lively as Chewang, it has a problem in trying to cater for couples and

older tourists.

There's some fine restaurants and bars there but more girlie bars and massage parlours than Chewang, who would of thought that 5 years ago?

Imagine a family of 4 staying in a nice 3-5 star resort walking through Lamai at night, an often bemused look is evident....

Knock most of it down and start again (Weekender style) before it ends up like the true ghost area of Banrak which even has a road named after it's popularity....

A tacky walking street and Saturdays lady boxing i feel is no longer an appeal to attract tourists though it still has one of the best stretches of beach on the island for swimming.

Smell the coffee.

The Thai people here were calling it The Ghost Road long before they ever saw white skin. Nothing to do with popularity.

R

• Like 1

With it not being as young and lively as Chewang, it has a problem in trying to cater for couples and

older tourists.

There's some fine restaurants and bars there but more girlie bars and massage parlours than Chewang, who would of thought that 5 years ago?

Imagine a family of 4 staying in a nice 3-5 star resort walking through Lamai at night, an often bemused look is evident....

Knock most of it down and start again (Weekender style) before it ends up like the true ghost area of Banrak which even has a road named after it's popularity....

A tacky walking street and Saturdays lady boxing i feel is no longer an appeal to attract tourists though it still has one of the best stretches of beach on the island for swimming.

Smell the coffee.

The Thai people here were calling it The Ghost Road long before they ever saw white skin. Nothing to do with popularity.

R

it does not have anything to do with your mate RobbingLamai

older tourists.

I think the opposite is true. In fact, the reason the bars are empty is that there are a lot more couples than there are single male tourists in Lamai nowadays. Restaurants are packed, bars empty, and the people in the bars are almost without fail repeat visitors or long-term residents. I.E. People who have been coming here since the boom times.

The fact is, if your idea of a holiday is to spend most of your time in girlie bars, Pattaya is a much more attractive destination than Samui. It's cheaper while you're there, cheaper to get to, and there are a lot more options for entertainment.

Many of the guys I knew who used to come to Samui every year just go to Pattaya now.

Why don't those bars just up and move then? Well, many of them are owned by expats who have signed up for long leases, and don't want to move anyway because they have wives and children who have grown up here.

That seems to be the truth for all of Samui. Single males on low accomodation budget, who used to stay in cheap huts and bungalows and rather spend their holiday savings for fun in the bars, goes other places now. More families and couples comes to Samui and enjoy a bit more luxury style accommodation. The young couples/singles still comes to Chaweng and Full Moon Party. That leaves the beer bars all over quite empty, whilst the restaurant, the trendy cafés and the discos in Chaweng are full.

Back in 2005 , lamai was packed , every bar was full .. Last time I was there around a year ago , ghost town

Just noticed the famous Irish pub has now reduced it's asking price online , plus the ark bar of lamai is up for sale ...

Is the place slowly becoming lest attractive ? , and people are wanting out ?

Back in 2005 everywhere was busier with the post phuket tsunami bubble we had. It would probaby be the same if you looked at all the other places too and compard them to 2005.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

Probably a world wide trent. It is the case in oz for sure, and my mate tells me that there are'nt many on the beach at "Saffend" right now.