What Training Do Bus Drivers Get In Thailand ?

fred007

What Training is required to obtain a bus drivers licence to drive a interstate interprovince bus in Thailand? .Once a interstate interprovince Bus licence is issued to the bus driver is the driver randomly checked for drugs or alcohol.

What department in Thailand is responsible for interstate/ inter province bus drivers and how well are bus drivers policed here?These questions were put to me by an interested third party bus driver in conversation to which i said i dont know ?

So im putting it out there for comment ?

post-42073-0-46019900-1355925541_thumb.j

No gov't training is provided (that you have to undertake yourself just like any other license) - all they DLT does is conduct testing and issue the license.

The better bus companies undertake their own regular drugs/alcohol/skills testing - outside of that, drivers and their buses are subject to spot checks by roving highway police and at checkpoints where other motorists might also be subjected to the same.

Note that only Thai citizens can get licenses for taxis, buses, tour vans, tuk tuk's, songtheow's etc.

They require months of training, involving building up the body's tolerance to M-150 and yabaa. As well as learning how to sleep and drive at the same time. The license gives them the right to drive recklessly while intimidating any other drivers, regardless of rights of way or common sense. If buses are joined in a tour convoy they are considered a divine force that may cause death and destruction depending upon whimsical sensibility, or the distance left to arrive at the next scheduled piss break..

That's the correct answer,I'm afraid...seen that in action(convoy) and almost been a victim...stay away from buses!!...and trucks...and all the other reckless 'drivers'!!!

"What Training is required to obtain a bus drivers licence to drive a interstate interprovince bus in Thailand?"

​After being released from the mental asylum no-one would dare challenge the prospective bus driver by asking questions or demanding they sit a test of road rules or ask them to demonstrate their ability to actually drive anything bigger than a Honda Wave. It's not how things are done in LOS (Land of Stupidity). whistling.gif

From my personal observations on the road, I find that drivers whose job it is to drive are some of the worst out there sad.png

I would beg to differ with that generalization on all professional drivers; while being on the road around Mae Sot and back to BKK, I noticed a lot of truck drivers who were really cool guys, giving me light signals on whether it was safe or not to overtake, and even pulling to the leftmost side of the road to give me way. There were also those truckers who came breathing down my neck in a perilous mountain descent... So, yeah, there is a little of both over here. Generally speaking, I agree that bus drivers never show any consideration, whether in BKK or on the road.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

From my personal observations on the road, I find that drivers whose job it is to drive are some of the worst out there sad.png

A driver whose job it is to drive??? I would have though it was obvious a drivers job is to drive, is there something I have missed here?

Totally Pathetic Replies. Bash a Thai Time. A Perilous Mountain Decent? where is one here. How can a Truck bother a Car Driver unless driven by an pedantic idiot who determines what is safe. Recon most of Ferang Drivers here drove in a Arizona Desert on a Sunday.

Totally Pathetic Replies. Bash a Thai Time. A Perilous Mountain Decent? where is one here. How can a Truck bother a Car Driver unless driven by an pedantic idiot who determines what is safe. Recon most of Ferang Drivers here drove in a Arizona Desert on a Sunday.

"Bash a Thai Time." Really???

​So who is it that's driving the buses that crash on a daily basis?

I would beg to differ with that generalization on all professional drivers; while being on the road around Mae Sot and back to BKK, I noticed a lot of truck drivers who were really cool guys, giving me light signals on whether it was safe or not to overtake, and even pulling to the leftmost side of the road to give me way. There were also those truckers who came breathing down my neck in a perilous mountain descent... So, yeah, there is a little of both over here. Generally speaking, I agree that bus drivers never show any consideration, whether in BKK or on the road.

Sorry, they noticed your cool lady. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

No gov't training is provided (that you have to undertake yourself just like any other license) - all they DLT does is conduct testing and issue the license.

The better bus companies undertake their own regular drugs/alcohol/skills testing - outside of that, drivers and their buses are subject to spot checks by roving highway police and at checkpoints where other motorists might also be subjected to the same.

Note that only Thai citizens can get licenses for taxis, buses, tour vans, tuk tuk's, songtheow's etc.

It would be interesting to know what testing? The car and bike tests are done of the public highway, generally in small test tracks that really don't represent thai roads. Can't see a bus or double truck getting in there.

Is the test for Buses and double rigs a quick drive down the road and reverse into a parking space?

Let's hope the idiot's have now gone from this post. The correct answer is as follow's.

They have to go to a school where they are taught how to handle different size bus's + take lot's of exam's not to dissimilar from the one's in England, and it can take well over 3 month's all depends on how many hour's they put in every week, they have to take a medical strict. Then and only then are they granted their licence.

Before they can get a job on the long hall they will need at least two year's experience on local bus's.

By the way a lot of them drive you might not believe it but it's a fact.

How do I know my brother in law has just done it.

It would be interesting to know what testing? The car and bike tests are done of the public highway, generally in small test tracks that really don't represent thai roads. Can't see a bus or double truck getting in there.

Is the test for Buses and double rigs a quick drive down the road and reverse into a parking space?

• Like 1

From my personal observations on the road, I find that drivers whose job it is to drive are some of the worst out there

Sorry, they noticed your cool lady.

She is cool indeed. ;)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nothing to do with Thailand, but what is the Training in the UK now a day ?

When I was 21, I started my PSV training, to get a All Types Bus Licence you had to pass the test on a double decker.......... I started Monday, 2 hours in the morning 2 hours in the afternoon.... Same week Friday morning passed my test......... in a nice 4 speed crash box..

Friday afternoon sent out in a coach [1st time ever driven a coach] to pick up school kids......... almost took out the school gates, had no idea the difference with 50 or 60 odd school kids on board it would be so heavy + a coach is very different a double decker bus has wheels on all 4 corners, a coach has large over hangs....... also in a Double decker you had to read the road, or you may take the bus stop down.. of course not a problem in Thailand as most stop in the middle of the road anyway.

Is there a different test in Thailand for single decker to the double decker bus ? any Law on driving hours ?

I'm with this reply. I suppose the OP is a legitimate question but what the purpose of the answer. Foreigners are not allowed to drive buses.

It is in the bus company's interest to have reliable competent drivers otherwise they would be soon out of business. Most long distance buses here have scheduled routes they don't have to race between stops, like the old BKK green buses, to steal passengers from there fellow drivers.

Totally Pathetic Replies. Bash a Thai Time. A Perilous Mountain Decent? where is one here. How can a Truck bother a Car Driver unless driven by an pedantic idiot who determines what is safe. Recon most of Ferang Drivers here drove in a Arizona Desert on a Sunday.I'm with this reply. I suppose the OP is a legitimate question but what the purpose of the answer. Foreigners are not allowed to drive buses.It is in the bus company's interest to have reliable competent drivers otherwise they would be soon out of business. Most long distance buses here have scheduled routes they don't have to race between stops, like the old BKK green buses, to steal passengers from there fellow drivers.

And yet they still do! Just watch the 88 buses on Petchkasem road Nakhon Pathom. It would be hilarious if not so dangerous. Some drivers are OK. But plenty that drive extremely aggressive.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6