F1: Ecclestone Gives Bangkok Grand Prix The Green Light

webfact

Considering how long it can take to repair a two hundred metre section of road, the upgrade to track specs should be starting about last year.

Best of luck BMA and relevant authorities with getting it ready on time and if it goes ahead I'll be there for sure. But let's hope someone has whispered in their ear just how significant and daunting a task the preparation for this will be. It's not a badly infrastructured futsal stadium - it's a MAJOR two week disruption to lives, business and traffic (and that's just the race itself).

• Like 1

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand do not deserve and F1 race

People here are non responsive to large sporting events

Futsal games were poorly attended

ROC last weekend was poorly attended

Give the race to a city where people care

It's business. If the Thais pay Ecclestone enough to stage the GP then in his eyes they deserve it.

I 'd love it if it all comes together but putting the infrastructure together for a large paddock complex and grandstands in a little over two years in the centre of Bangkok.........? I will be both thrilled and amazed!

Though it is great news for Bangkok and I, for one, would love to go and see this event. Though I think it will be a bit longer to actually happen than 2015, as the building of areas , track and ensuring safety for all etc etc, will surely not be in place in the space of two years. Oh yeah, one other thought, does this mean the end of being able to stay in reasonably cheap hotels in Bangkok in the future???

During the F1 race I think motorcycles should be allowed to continue to run as normal (with multiple riders and no helmets of course) on the streets designated for the race---as that will give it a real Thailand flavor.

And some som tam ladies pushing their carts along the side of the track ;-)

My mind boggles as to where these roads are. The suspension on a F1 car is not meant for bumps. When the F1 drivers talk of "bumps" they are referring to 100m undulations. Please can somebody tell me a route that won't require complete rebuilding. Please bear in mind that these races need to showcase the city so will need to include a number of major tourist sites and the business district.

The most talked about area would be Rajdamnoen Avenue where supposedly 100.000 people went out to see Mark Weber drive his car on the streets of Bangkok.

Edited by Nisa

This British billionaire comes in and sucks up money from the locals and spits out air and noise pollution. He did this recently in Texas and even got $25+ million of government tax money from the politicians.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/racing/entries/2012/12/12/circuit_official_major_events.html/

The only way I would go to see one of his races is if they stretch him out as a speed bump in the first lap.

My mind boggles as to where these roads are. The suspension on a F1 car is not meant for bumps. When the F1 drivers talk of "bumps" they are referring to 100m undulations.

That's one of the reasons the race will be held at night.

To maximize the effect of the fire sparks under the cars during the entire track.

• Like 1

My mind boggles as to where these roads are. The suspension on a F1 car is not meant for bumps. When the F1 drivers talk of "bumps" they are referring to 100m undulations. Please can somebody tell me a route that won't require complete rebuilding. Please bear in mind that these races need to showcase the city so will need to include a number of major tourist sites and the business district.

The most talked about area would be Rajdamnoen Avenue where supposedly 100.000 people went out to see Mark Weber drive his car on the streets of Bangkok.

I agree. They would have to use Democracy Monument as a "double chicane" and then head down for a lap around Suan Luang. The bigger problem here is going to be Phan Fa. Then they could head up to the Royal Turf club, follow it right, turn left to head past Chitlada, along to Dusit Zoo, left by Parliament then straight on down past the government offices and onto the UN and back down to Phan Fa and off again. Not a bad circuit and actually some of the best road surfaces in Bangkok. They have just redone Rajdamnoen too.

---EDIT--- Further thought

This would actually allow the economic "heartbeat" of the capital to continue to function throughout the event. It just wouldn't bring any of the economic capital into the International view...that is the only problem.

Edited by draftvader
  • Like 1

I agree. They would have to use Democracy Monument as a "double chicane" and then head down for a lap around Suan Luang. The bigger problem here is going to be Phan Fa. Then they could head up to the Royal Turf club, follow it right, turn left to head past Chitlada, along to Dusit Zoo, left by Parliament then straight on down past the government offices and onto the UN and back down to Phan Fa and off again. Not a bad circuit and actually some of the best road surfaces in Bangkok. They have just redone Rajdamnoen too.

---EDIT--- Further thought

This would actually allow the economic "heartbeat" of the capital to continue to function throughout the event. It just wouldn't bring any of the economic capital into the International view...that is the only problem.

I don't know much about specifications for racing F1 but assuming the roads are in good condition ... Do you or anyone know if this is enough to race on or do they need to add any kind of special surfacing?

Beside the good idea I just wonder if Bangkok wants to copy Singapore with a F1 Grand prix during the night , but when you see the shape of roads in town I just wonder in which area the race will be. Ok they have time to repair the roads to be ready by 2015

And, as we see, no guard rails needed! The spectators are totally save without!

Beside the good idea I just wonder if Bangkok wants to copy Singapore with a F1 Grand prix during the night , but when you see the shape of roads in town I just wonder in which area the race will be. Ok they have time to repair the roads to be ready by 2015

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/97665.html

Don't think, Singapore will like that!

"championship-winner Red Bull Racing carried out a demonstration run through the streets of the nation's capital"

Was that by any chance the demonstration by the red bull owner's son on sukhumvit soi 53 at 5.30 am a few months ago?

• Like 1

And, as we see, no guard rails needed! The spectators are totally save without!

...not forgetting, that Mr. Webber was driving 80 km/h tops and we might see speed up to 300 km/h and safety zones AND the fact that NOT a strip of road in Bangkok is good enough for F1- racing (as some dreamers here suggest)...why am I bothering...it is just plain <deleted>!

• Like 2

Thailand do not deserve and F1 race

People here are non responsive to large sporting events

Futsal games were poorly attended

ROC last weekend was poorly attended

Give the race to a city where people care

1- "deserve" "not deserve". We are not God nor teachers.

A lot of other countries have a population without any F1 knowledge and they have a GP.

2-ROC: you are right, it was empty on Saturday and "poorly attended" on Sunday but I discovered that some people travel for such an event. A Thai F1 GP is not only a Thai issue = more than every else and due to the number of foreign visitors, Thailand can expect a lot of "race car tourists". Well, maybe not enough.

3- Now it's very difficult to believe Bernie. He will be dead before the first Thai GP + the announcement remains very blur (not even a clue of the venue).

Edited by geovalin

I wonder why all these news stories say a site has been chosen doesn't give any confirmation on even the general area beyond saying it will be in Bangkok. Maybe they are worried about somebody capitalizing on empty buildings or something like that along the route or something before those in the know can.

Great for Bangkok and Thailand.

More tourists, more $$$, more international credibility and probably the only people on the planet against it are the nay sayers on TV.........

I wouldn't say I am against it, I am just wary of the government's ability to pull this off at all, never mind successfully. I imagine I am not the only one that would love to see an international sporting event such as an F1 race held in Bangkok (although a night race around the temples in Ayudhya would be way cooler IMHO), but the years here have, with good reason, made me cynical.

If indeed F1 quality roads, spectator seating and facilities, infrastructure, and provisions for the traffic disruption are all over come, I will be the first to whole heartedly congratulate the government as I enjoy the sight of F1 cars whizzing by. But well, you know, this is Thailand. Better not to get prematurely excited.