Cost Of Living In Pattaya.

essexman

Ray35ty, your right, I have been here nearly 3 years. I do know the cost of living here. However my time here, I have always lived with my wife. I guess I posted the question for some re-assurance. I'm in a crap position really, I have invested a lot in the business here, but the relationship is very strained. I have nothing to go back to the UK too, so what do I do. I have friends and know Pattaya, which is about an hour away from where I live now. I'm not disputing 32,000 is on the lower bracket of monthly income. So I posted to see if others live on this sort of income. I know I wont be able to go out on the piss every night, or be a bit reckless with money. But in a way, maybe that's not such a bad thing.

On the plus side, my pension does increase each year, so should keep me in line with inflation. In just over 7 years I will get the government pension as well. I have the money in the bank to cover the retirement visa, which is also a safety net for a sudden emergency.

I eat Thai food all the time, so know how cheap the food side is here. I'm not a big drinker so wont be spending a lot on beer. My scooter is quite new, so shouldn't cost a lot to run, even in Pattaya. I like to keep fit, so will join a decent gym. I have friends in Pattaya I can socialize with. I'm sure I will meet new friends. I love to sit on the beach, read and belong to a few forums which seems to be an outlet for me. I don't have expensive tastes. As long as I can find a decent apartment, with wifi, cable and a swimming pool, I think I will be OK. I speak some Thai, so can sort of get through a conversation with Thai people. Not saying I'm fluent, but I know a fair bit now. Where I live there are no English speakers, apart from the wife.

So I sit here just trying to get through the next few days, living with someone who can blow up any second. Its Christmas day, but the shop is open and in a minute she will be at me to work and then the abuse will start at some point. Living my life walking on eggshells is not what I want or what I deserve. As beautiful and clever and sometimes caring as she is, she can also be a right aggressive, hot tempered and abusive woman. So as I write this where would I rather be ... Sitting in a nice apartment, maybe getting ready for a trip to the gym, or a lounge around the pool, or a ride on the scooter to the beach ... Or here !!! Not difficult is it. Its not so much about the money, although I appreciate I will have to be careful. Its about my quality of life.

Wow you seem like a really nice guy. Start making an exit plan ASAP I have alot of ways to save money and live a great life in pattaya. You can live here on 32k no problem.

The questions isn't only whether you can live on 32000 baht a month now.

More important to think about is whether you will be able to live on that amount for the rest of your life. What if the THB exchange rate goes the wrong way, i.e., your country's currency weakens verus the baht? That can happen and then you may have to survive on what could be 25k a month. That means you either need to convert your money now to baht or it means you better have a lot more than 32k a month so you have some cushion against this risk.

Another risk is inflation. What if, after 5 years, prices are 25% higher and you've made nothing on your savings? So, you better have more like 40k a month now, so you can spend 32k for now and then cope with higher prices if and when they happen.

Or what if the baht strengthens AND prices rise so you better have 50k a month now to ensure you have the equivalend of 32k then? Or what if both happen but instead of looking 5 years ahead you look 15 years ahead and instead of factoring in a 25% rise in the currency and 30% rise in prices you need to double your figures as a hedge against this potential risk?

Nah, if you have to ask whether you can live on 32k a month now then its 50:50 that you will be destiture in a decade...just another broke falang jumping from a condo balcony or arrested for drugs smuggling and going to jail for life and all because you didn't understand the concept of preserving your purchasing power over time.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You make it sound like if living until 70 was a good thing

Thats a good point. What if all the falangs that die in suspicious circumstances (murder by beating/shooting/stabbing to death, jumping while tied to a chair, drowning with feet in concrete, poison etc) have actually put out a contract on themselves as they know the futility of trying to preserve their purchasing power over time?

Well he did say in 7 years he gets a govt pension on top - didnt say amount but I am assuming another 30k bht per month on top of the existing 30k bht, so that would bring it up to a higher sum. He also says his current pension is indexed so should help with inflation.

He didnt say whether he might be due any inheritance in latter years, but this would also help. Anyway sounds like he is giving it another go with the missus.

You make it sound like if living until 70 was a good thing

Thats a good point. What if all the falangs that die in suspicious circumstances (murder by beating/shooting/stabbing to death, jumping while tied to a chair, drowning with feet in concrete, poison etc) have actually put out a contract on themselves as they know the futility of trying to preserve their purchasing power over time?

Nonsense, at old age its better to be dead

OK the professional, I make allowances because I see your a new poster. I take it you mean destitute in your post? Well had you read all the posts you would have read that my pension does increase each year, not by a fortune but a minimum of 2.5% and its capped at 7%. Its all based on the UK inflation rate each March. Also it has been mentioned by another poster that I get my government pension in 7.5 years, This will give me around another 30,000 a month. I have a nice sum sitting in the bank, this will be mainly used as retirement visa funds, plus a bit on top for any emergency. So as for rising costs this will happen to me here or anywhere else I choose to live. Now if I was back in the UK , I have no doubt I'd be still working, but here in Thailand, money goes a lot further.

At the moment I am trying to save my marriage, Its 50/50 if this will be successful, I have mentioned the reasons why I feel I need to give it a one more shot. To be fair life seems good here today, we are going on vacation Monday, and hopefully a few days away will do us both good. Will she remain nice, I'm not holding my breath. She does know I'm at the end of my patience with her, so its really down to her. Having done some homework, and some nice PM's and posts on here, I'm 100% confident that if things take a turn for the worse here, I'll survive and live a comfortable life in Pattaya.

Thanks for your concern and your inflation permutations, but regarding keeping up with all the possible inflation issues, I'm in the same boat as anyone else receiving a pension. Life is to short to keep worrying about "what if."

Edited by essexman

OK the professional, I make allowances because I see your a new poster. I take it you mean destitute in your post? Well had you read all the posts you would have read that my pension does increase each year, not by a fortune but a minimum of 2.5% and its capped at 7%. Its all based on the UK inflation rate each March. Also it has been mentioned by another poster that I get my government pension in 7.5 years, This will give me around another 30,000 a month. I have a nice sum sitting in the bank, this will be mainly used as retirement visa funds, plus a bit on top for any emergency. So as for rising costs this will happen to me here or anywhere else I choose to live. Now if I was back in the UK , I have no doubt I'd be still working, but here in Thailand, money goes a lot further.

At the moment I am trying to save my marriage, Its 50/50 if this will be successful, I have mentioned the reasons why I feel I need to give it a one more shot. To be fair life seems good here today, we are going on vacation Monday, and hopefully a few days away will do us both good. Will she remain nice, I'm not holding my breath. She does know I'm at the end of my patience with her, so its really down to her. Having done some homework, and some nice PM's and posts on here, I'm 100% confident that if things take a turn for the worse here, I'll survive and live a comfortable life in Pattaya.

Thanks for your concern and your inflation permutations, but regarding keeping up with all the possible inflation issues, I'm in the same boat as anyone else receiving a pension. Life is to short to keep worrying about "what if."

Oh my God I made mistyped the word "destitute", or did you think I actually thought it was spelled "destiture"? Anyway, you caught me out good and proper and therefore nothing I said can be valid.

Ah, but wait, I see you wrote "....your a new poster..." which means you didn't just mistype a word, but you don't have a grasp of basic English.

But joking aside, don't assume UK inflation will be the the same as Thai inflation and don't think FX risk is irrelevant because you say you have a UK pension coming. Certainly don't be 100% sure, things can change and it pays to understand how.

Well at least the big majority of members have posted a positive response, something which I appreciate. There is something to be said about Robert Maxwell, if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have the safeguards in company pensions that we have now. Being a former pension trustee, I have a bit of confidence that my company pension will be safe. Of course there is a government support scheme as well. So worst case for me my pension will increase 2.5% a year. The last 2 years it has gone up 7.3%

I do also appreciate the members who think the amount is on the low side, something I know and will have to take into account. I'm in a fraggile state at the moment so don't really appreciate this kind of response:

"Nah, if you have to ask whether you can live on 32k a month now then its 50:50 that you will be destiture in a decade...just another broke falang jumping from a condo balcony or arrested for drugs smuggling and going to jail for life and all because you didn't understand the concept of preserving your purchasing power over time"

I came here for advice, that's not advice, not sure what you would call that statement?

32000 a month doesn't leave much if anything after the essentials and the smaller your room, the more time you'll want to spend outside. However, if you get a house, you get way more space and the air flow means much lower air con bills.

My gut feeling is that though it is possible in theory, it isn't in reality. There is nothing for medical care and it would be far better to jump on a plane and go back to the UK in reality. Long term, the baht will likely rise against the pound, leaving even less to play with and inflation in Thailand is likely to be much more than your pension increases. Eventually you cannot match the two.

Now if you could get together a million or two baht and buy your own house or condo, you insulate yourself against future rent rises.

Well I would like to wish every member a Happy New Year to start with. I feel able to start posting again, and give an update to my position. No surprise really, I am now living in Pattaya. All went belly up on New Years Eve. So I moved out and stayed at a good friends for a couple of days while we looked for a decent apartment. I've been lucky to find a nice apartment in a complex called Moonlight. Its very nice and quite, only 20 apartments and has security key card and a guy at night, so it feels safe. The apartment is nice with air/con wifi and cable. Has a nice swimming pool and garden. Early days I know, but I feel its a good choice. Its only about 2 minutes fromSukhumvit, off a road call Toongklom Talman.

So will now see how my budget goes. I have written off this month as I had to buy a few extra thing for the apartment. Plus I joined Casta Gym yesterday, So its just a case of finding my feet, finding my bearings and chilling out for a while.

I'm still getting abuse even though I'm not their !! But I think its just anger that she does not have control of me now. The phone calls have stopped so maybe at last I can now start to relax and enjoy life. It does feel strange, but I think with time I'll get over this experience, and be a wiser man.

Thanks again to the members who took time to post and gave me the confidence to get out of that realationship.

Well I would like to wish every member a Happy New Year to start with. I feel able to start posting again, and give an update to my position. No surprise really, I am now living in Pattaya. All went belly up on New Years Eve. So I moved out and stayed at a good friends for a couple of days while we looked for a decent apartment. I've been lucky to find a nice apartment in a complex called Moonlight. Its very nice and quite, only 20 apartments and has security key card and a guy at night, so it feels safe. The apartment is nice with air/con wifi and cable. Has a nice swimming pool and garden. Early days I know, but I feel its a good choice. Its only about 2 minutes fromSukhumvit, off a road call Toongklom Talman.

So will now see how my budget goes. I have written off this month as I had to buy a few extra thing for the apartment. Plus I joined Casta Gym yesterday, So its just a case of finding my feet, finding my bearings and chilling out for a while.

I'm still getting abuse even though I'm not their !! But I think its just anger that she does not have control of me now. The phone calls have stopped so maybe at last I can now start to relax and enjoy life. It does feel strange, but I think with time I'll get over this experience, and be a wiser man.

Thanks again to the members who took time to post and gave me the confidence to get out of that realationship.

Well, a happy new year and start of life for you too. Hope all goes well and I am sorry your holiday did not go well. Onwards and upwards. smile.png

• Like 1

32000 a month doesn't leave much if anything after the essentials and the smaller your room, the more time you'll want to spend outside. However, if you get a house, you get way more space and the air flow means much lower air con bills.

My gut feeling is that though it is possible in theory, it isn't in reality. There is nothing for medical care and it would be far better to jump on a plane and go back to the UK in reality. Long term, the baht will likely rise against the pound, leaving even less to play with and inflation in Thailand is likely to be much more than your pension increases. Eventually you cannot match the two.

Now if you could get together a million or two baht and buy your own house or condo, you insulate yourself against future rent rises.

I will second your opinion. 32000 might be OK in boring Rayong (1 hour away) where you can still get a 20 bahjt thai meal. In Pattaya just look at how many places, even in Jomtien, have jacked up their prices to absurd levels like 40 baht for kha mon gai..

And if you want the occasional night on the town or a nice fish n chps at Simon's ...well your 32000 might not be enough

I would say 45000 minimum for Pattaya and 60000 for Bangkok. I am assuming that you live in a one bed room with air con and not a shoe-box sized room.

Edited by BugJackBaron

I will second your opinion. 32000 might be OK in boring Rayong (1 hour away) where you can still get a 20 bahjt thai meal. In Pattaya just look at how many places, even in Jomtien, have jacked up their prices to absurd levels like 40 baht for kha mon gai..

And if you want the occasional night on the town or a nice fish n chps at Simon's ...well your 32000 might not be enough

I would say 45000 minimum for Pattaya and 60000 for Bangkok. I am assuming that you live in a one bed room with air con and not a shoe-box sized room.

Rayong has better looking women and most have steady jobs in the Auto or Oil and gas industry. Pattaya has better food though.

That sounds like a 7,000 to 11.000 Baht a month apartment. Probably a bit more than what a person on a 32,000 budget usually spends.

Best of luck any way.

Don't tell your ex where you are living if possible, she will be round causing problems.

• Like 1

That sounds like a 7,000 to 11.000 Baht a month apartment. Probably a bit more than what a person on a 32,000 budget usually spends.

Best of luck any way.

Don't tell your ex where you are living if possible, she will be round causing problems.

You are in the right price bracket. Its 8,000 a month. I did look at cheaper places but to be honest you get what you pay for. I'd rather spend a couple of extra nights in a week and be in a nice place. I did look at one that was 5,000 and it was dire. The extra 3000 just seems so much more worth paying.

The other good thing is its a bugger to find ..lol. The first couple of days i kept having trouble finding it. No the ex wont be coming here. She has written about getting a divorce, so the sooner the better now.

Everybody is different, I met a guy through a friend who is quite happy to live in a studio that costs 3,500. He took me to see it as there was another available. No air/con. Beyond basic. He had a little kettle that he pluged into the bathroom to make a coffee. No cable or wifi. But he just uses it as a knocking base. I couldn't live like that, I need a few comforts in life. But it suits this guy, so good luck to him,

there is a guesthouse "Rich Man Poor Man" on soi 9, jomtien beach. stay there a while, clean, reasonable while you look before you leap. there are one bed homes only 3 miles from the beach for 10k, go slow my friend, it will all come together, stay on the "Dark Side" more affordable, easier life style. I am just a friend of his, but he is a great guy and can put u in the right direction, or write me when u arrive. Good Luck, we all have been there...........

http://richmanpoorman.net/

Edited by BigSkip

if you are that angry that chicken and rice is 40 baht you can buy a kilo of chicken breast at big c for 67baht a kilo. now that is an amazing price back in australia i was laughing wen i bought it at $9.99 A kilo.... thailand is very cheap to live

In 3 years of living here you don't know how much things cost ?

I hate to point out the obvious but you have been living here for 3 years with your wife , since their is no alimony in Thailand you would have the same income as the last three years you have been living here, rendering the question a little absurd.

Edited by MrRealDeal

• 1 year later...

Essexman. Read this thread with great interest. The story stopped with you starting out in Pattaya. How did the first year go? Was the 32000 per month resoanble/doable? Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere. I did a search on "cost of living" and found this thread. Found it very interesting.

On the Darkside there are places as low as 3000b unfurnished a month one even has a pool and cable included at that price no aircon but has a fan mostly farang tenants.A mate of mine stays there and there usually is a breeze blowing through the room.Room is over 40 sqm and there is a waiting list for the rooms.There are many more rooms in the 4k-8k range dependent on whats included.As long as you can ride a m/c the darkside is great.

Posters have mentioned about the increase in living costs in the future ....

Impossible to predict of course, but here's my three hap'orth ...

I'm told of something called the rule of 72 .. you take the % inflation per annum, and divide that into 72

The result is how long it takes for your spending power to half i.e. 4% inflation, 17.5 years to half.

it (supposedly) works for interest too (double your money). Anyone any thoughts ??

Anyway, Essexman, congratulations on your escape, and good luck for the future.

Cheers