I T Grand Bangkhae Is Burning

theajarn

Richard Barrow@RichardBarrow

11:15pm Fire at IT Grand Bang Khae started on 3rd floor & has spread to 6th floor. Firemen having trouble putting fire out on upper floors.

Richard Barrow@RichardBarrow

11:30pm No reports so far of any casualties in the major fire at IT Grand Bang Khae (Pic @RaiwiNBoaT) pic.twitter.com/t4iGCus0

A-pk-6eCIAAo_oW.jpgA-pkcHkCMAATaXi.jpg

Bangkok shopping mall engulfed in massive fire

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The six-storey IT Grand shopping mall in Bangkok's Bang Kae district was engulfed in flames late Friday night. No one was injured in the blaze.

Police said some 30 fire engines took nearly two hours to control the blaze.

Police said the fire broke out on the sixth floor at 10 pm and quickly spread to lower floors before the entire building was engulfed.

Fire engines had difficulty in reaching the building because it is situated on a small alley.

The fire was under control at 11:50 pm.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-22

It's a small shopping mall. The pics posted above are much better than mine : P I knew I should have braved getting closer.

From my "experience" of these things... it's quite regular in Asia usually amongst Chinese-owned businesses to have a "fire sale". Quite literally. They burn down their own buildings to collect insurance.

It's also a way to get rid of old tenants and be reborn as a new entity.

• Like 2

"Fire engines had difficulty reaching the building because it was in a small alley." Then why is the world was it constructed that way and not inspected and regulated into a safe building? These Thais boy oh boy. they just keep repeating the same mistakes over and over expecting the results to be different.

It's a small shopping mall. The pics posted above are much better than mine : P I knew I should have braved getting closer.

From my "experience" of these things... it's quite regular in Asia usually amongst Chinese-owned businesses to have a "fire sale". Quite literally. They burn down their own buildings to collect insurance.

It's also a way to get rid of old tenants and be reborn as a new entity.

I forgot that one. But of course..! If these tenants are anything like what my family had to deal with...!! But we took the long and expensive way ... through the courts :(

• Like 1

Considering most buildings in Thailand are made of concrete it must have been a really really old building. Needed burning I'm sure. Now they can rebuild with the standard ugly design (square with vertical abutments) made from concrete. No no, lets just build ugly, and maybe paint it an ugly blue or yellow color and we can let that peel and fade to gray in a year or two.

Considering most buildings in Thailand are made of concrete it must have been a really really old building. Needed burning I'm sure. Now they can rebuild with the standard ugly design (square with vertical abutments) made from concrete. No no, lets just build ugly, and maybe paint it an ugly blue or yellow color and we can let that peel and fade to gray in a year or two.

Seeing as how 'ugly' these things are to you..............kinda surprised you even want to be here.

Seeing as how 'ugly' these things are to you..............kinda surprised you even want to be here.

Yah, we all make mistakes sometimes, I'm working on getting the wife to agree to leave. The development I live in was nice when I moved in, now 6 months later every Thai has modified their house and it looks like S H * T, even the wife's parents say this.

It's the difference between coming here and going to Koh Phi Phi or a similarly nice destination and coming here to live. Living here you see all the garbage the Thai's dump on the ground. Living here you see how poor the architecture is (almost zero variation). Living here you see how poorly they build everything. I could go on but it wouldn't change anything. Just need to vent sometimes.

Sorry is this a hotel?

Perhaps these two letters in the title may give you a clue... 'IT'

A charming response to a perfectly civil question. You'd be a pleasure to share a beer with I'm sure.

No it's not an hotel. Rather a building housing a collection ot Information technologists and computer, telephones

and the like. There. Painless.

Oh my lord.

The, if you don't like our architecture you should leave argument.

Ok. I admit i,modern Thai architecture is amazing..... happy now?

• Like 1