Ban On Bangkok Roadside Bars For New Year Break May Be Deferred

webfact

Ban on roadside bars for New Year break may be deferred

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A newly-proposed restriction on the sale of alcoholic drinks on Bangkok footpaths cannot be imposed in time for the New Year due to delays in the bureaucratic process. However, the authorities have decided to enforce existing regulations on public order during the four-day holiday break.

Dr Samarn Footrakool, a senior official who was behind the proposal, accused people "whose businesses will be affected" of trying to delay or distort information about the restriction campaign.

"So far, the efforts to delay the restriction have worked because a meeting to address the issue and secure an order from the Public Health Ministry to officially legitimise the ban has not been scheduled," he added without elaborating.

He said some sources had told him that the new law could be delayed for a year.

Samarn added that while the new law, which is based on an order from the Prime Minister's Office, has not taken effect, there was a need to enforce the existing laws.

The Highway Act bans sale and distribution of goods on and along the sides of public paths. Offenders risk maximum imprisonment of three months, a fine of up to Bt5,000, or both.

The City Cleanliness Act also prohibits the sale of goods on roads and footpaths. Those who fail to abide by the law may be fined up to Bt2,000. The Land Transport Act has a similar ban and the offender risks a maximum fine of Bt500.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-22

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the PM's office issues an edict. I assume that Yingluck was fully aware of this if not actually signing it off. The edict is ignored - or at least circumvented. So exactly who is running the country?

It seems that there is only one answer and that comprises just one word. Nobody.

Actually it's two words....

This should be interesting.

As both the Acts mentioned in the OP, The Highway Act and The City Cleanliness Act will affect all roadside vendors and not just the ones selling alchol.

If this is enforced, then office staff will be hunting for new venues for their breakfasts and midday meals.............wink.png

Good luck with that................rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

So the PM's office issues an edict. I assume that Yingluck was fully aware of this if not actually signing it off. The edict is ignored - or at least circumvented. So exactly who is running the country?

It seems that there is only one answer and that comprises just one word. Nobody.

2 words

The lunatics.

• Like 1

Corruption in Thailand is NUMBER 1......end of discussion

Why should anyone care about the legal business's that pay for licences etc, when you can just stand outside one with a bacteria breeding ground ice box etc?

I would never invest even 1 baht in this idiotic Country, your rights are zero

• Like 1

I wasn't paying attention, so may have missed some here. Does the new regulation (or an old one being dusted off for final use) mean the nightly fun along lower Sukhumvit, which mostly starts past midnight, will be no more? Or will the enterprising Thai see their costs of doing business increased just a wee bit?

• Like 2

Lets hope the SON of Red Bull isn't out on the loose all coked up, liquored up & driving another Roadster. By the way, whats the latest on than weasel?coffee1.gif In any event I wouldn't want to be on any sidewalk bar on Sunkhumvit or any main drag in Bangkok.

Edited by jerrysteve

Words issued here by government officials have no meaning, or more precisely, no relationship with reality...

When the alcohol proposal was first announced, I thought to myself, Ya Right...When Pigs Fly.... And low and behold, not more than a couple weeks passes and they're already eating their own prior pronouncements.

But looking at the bright side, now at least the authorities and their flat-foot minions will have plenty of time and opportunity to enforce the law mentioned in the OP against selling goods along the sides of public paths...

That must be what those BMA inspectors are doing out there every day along Sukhumvit, "fining" all the street vendors, probably on a regular schedule like once a week or once a month. Hahahahahahaha!!!!! Sorry, I just woke up.... I must have been dreaming.

The only good news seems to be that Monday seems to be a holiday. Nobody at our school could confirm that yet. Is it true?

"The Highway Act bans sale and distribution of goods on and along the sides of public paths. Offenders risk maximum imprisonment of three months, a fine of up to Bt5,000, or both".

"The City Cleanliness Act also prohibits the sale of goods on roads and footpaths. Those who fail to abide by the law may be fined up to Bt2,000. The Land Transport Act has a similar ban and the offender risks a maximum fine of Bt500.".

" The Yingluck Conscription Act also prohibits the sale of voices and choices.Those who fail to abide the law may be fined up to Bt 10, or they'll get a free papaya-salad.." w00t.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

I'm sure the laws against roadside vendors will be rigorously enforced from now on and we'll all be able to walk home without breathing barbecue smoke, having hot oil from a wok spat at us or waiting behind a Thai woman as she chooses her new shoes.

I am since 91 in Bangkok, without vendors, this city would not be what it is,

people can't stand this anymore should start to think about going back home

I'm not one of the "then go home" guys, but anyone that moves into an existing situation then complains about it has only one person to blame...

I moved to China in 1999, and then they banned all street vendors to encourage investment in.....shopping malls.... Franzs is right. It was not the same place- and not in a good way. It became sterile and boring. (Well, not sterile, exactly- it was still pretty dirty.)

Quite understandable that it couldn't be imposed before the new year, because if i look at the people without helmets or driving against traffic flow etc., I understand the bureaucratic process to impose any law in this country takes up to 2 decades.

Finally, a Crackdown on Crackdowns!

p.s. This part is hilarious: "The City Cleanliness Act also prohibits the sale of goods on roads and footpaths. Those who fail to abide by the law may be fined up to Bt2,000. The Land Transport Act has a similar ban and the offender risks a maximum fine of Bt500." So when are they going to start arresting and fining the thousands of people who do this every day in Bangkok?

The bureaucratic process was created by experts, in order to make everything so complex that inefficiency enables the mandarins to build empires based on masses of paperwork and compliance. Who are the engineers of such an honourable monument to Thai society? Bureaucrats....

• Like 1