Ban On Bangkok Roadside Bars For New Year Break May Be Deferred

webfact

I wasn't paying attention, so may have missed some here. Does the new regulation (or an old one being dusted off for final use) mean the nightly fun along lower Sukhumvit, which mostly starts past midnight, will be no more? Or will the enterprising Thai see their costs of doing business increased just a wee bit?

The later.

This is the first step of the big backdown from

some mouth announcing a policy his power can NOT make functional.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see the drink driving problem being addressed so enthusiastically.

At least the first annual cull of innocents can now go ahead unhindered and the wise old sages can continue to tut-tut when the casualty figures are released.

I'd like to see actual figures of alcohol related road deaths? I think poor driving and lack of policing the roads, other than random road blocks to check licenses and registrations, are the primary cause of traffic accidents. Ignorance of drivers to pedestrians and motorcyclists is phenomenal, when you consider most drivers were at one time a motorcyclist and are often pedestrians. For what it's worth, the annual death count in bkk during the Christmas/new year period exceeds the figure for the whole of Australia annually. Professional drivers are not restricted by hours, driving licenses are handed to drivers on the basis of an eye test, written exam and the ability to manoeuvre a vehicle backwards and forwards. Motorcyclists turn left without stopping, or looking right,drive up the wrong side of the road etc etc. Throw alcohol, ignored and ignorance into the mix and what do you get. I often wonder if Thai drivers are in fact the best in the world considering how few deaths there really are considering the dire standard of driving!

• Like 1

Don't you just love it.."Dr Samarn Footrakool..a Government offical"....And they think this offers credibility to the whole proposal?

Anyone who knows how the after hours street bar scene operates all the way up sukhumvit road knows only full well that it is the police that run the show...

Has anyone sat there at the bars on a night and seen the inconspicuous older guy with glasses on pull in at the side of each bar and collect the magic 500 baht ?

Like the annual changing of the guard every Oct/Nov in the Bangkok city police hierarchy some newly anointed public servant is pi..ing into a force 10 gale..hit-the-fan.gif

I'm sure the laws against roadside vendors will be rigorously enforced from now on and we'll all be able to walk home without breathing barbecue smoke, having hot oil from a wok spat at us or waiting behind a Thai woman as she chooses her new shoes.

I am since 91 in Bangkok, without vendors, this city would not be what it is,

people can't stand this anymore should start to think about going back home

I'm not one of the "then go home" guys, but anyone that moves into an existing situation then complains about it has only one person to blame...

I moved to China in 1999, and then they banned all street vendors to encourage investment in.....shopping malls.... Franzs is right. It was not the same place- and not in a good way. It became sterile and boring. (Well, not sterile, exactly- it was still pretty dirty.)

Nothing wrong with having a moan and a laugh. Some people need to learn to relax, empathise and join in instead of all that self-righteous "go back home" BS.

Innocent question: who does own these bars anyway? BIB ? whistling.gif

Individuals own the bar/stake...they sell it on if or when they chose and for whatever reason...the police charge a nightly rent!I have over the years spent plenty of time frequenting the bars on suk' like probably many others on here have...There was a mamasun that used to run the show for the cops there that I became good friends with over time and so I was able to gain some insight into how some of the setup operated..not all of it but some things.She was pushed down the pecking order 2 years back when the new BiB guard took over..swings n' roundabouts sums it up...

'Nothing wrong with having a moan and a laugh. Some people need to learn to relax, empathise and join in instead of all that self-righteous "go back home" BS.'

couldn't agree more. just 'cos our opinions differ, doesn't mean we should go home. does every one back home agree on subjects and never moan??? me thinks not!

Until at least 1980 there were few street vendors. You could move on the pavements if you ducked to missed the low awnings etc. Personally I think they should do like singapore did with theirs and make areas off street available to them.

• Like 2

Innocent question: who does own these bars anyway? BIB ? whistling.gif

Individuals own the bar/stake...they sell it on if or when they chose and for whatever reason...the police charge a nightly rent!I have over the years spent plenty of time frequenting the bars on suk' like probably many others on here have...There was a mamasun that used to run the show for the cops there that I became good friends with over time and so I was able to gain some insight into how some of the setup operated..not all of it but some things.She was pushed down the pecking order 2 years back when the new BiB guard took over..swings n' roundabouts sums it up...

I happen to know that a few of the bars in Nana are owned by Police and until recently also Crown Group (not sure if they still are), that bars in Soi Cowboy are currently owned by Police, and one could imagine (I cannot confirm it) that bars in places like Patpong, which feature in several books suggesting the fact that many of those bars are owned by the Police. Other bar owners include Outlaws Motorcycle Club (yes, the same lot that the FBI and ATF have gone after in the US) in Nana Plaza, "The Arab" in Soi Cowboy to name a few. Not so many are individually owned now, but the nice Aussie hang out on soi 7 is, as well as quite a few down there. I enjoy watching some League and Rugby undisturbed in that fine establishment, and no questions get asked by Teerak if she knows I am going there :).

So the PM's office issues an edict. I assume that Yingluck was fully aware of this if not actually signing it off. The edict is ignored - or at least circumvented. So exactly who is running the country?

It seems that there is only one answer and that comprises just one word. Nobody.

Actually it's two words....

You're wrong.

Please don't tell me you're an English teacher

So the PM's office issues an edict. I assume that Yingluck was fully aware of this if not actually signing it off. The edict is ignored - or at least circumvented. So exactly who is running the country?

It seems that there is only one answer and that comprises just one word. Nobody.

2 words

The lunatics.

Actually it's two words....

No, most appropriately it is one word, nobody.

Nothing wrong with having a moan and a laugh. Some people need to learn to relax, empathise and join in instead of all that self-righteous "go back home" BS.

I don't disagree with that. There are things here that frustrate me. And as I said, I don't think "love it or leave it" is a very compassionate reply. (that mantra always grated on me when I was growing up)

But those frustrations were right there when I decided to make the move to Thailand. I made the choice and now and I have neither the right nor the ability to change them.

More than anything, I take some comfort in knowing that I make a choice every day to stay in Thailand. I'm not a victim of those things that frustrate me, I'm a willing participant. I can make a different choice at any time.

Tough one to explain, but realizing I am the one in control of that portion of my life makes it a lot easier to enjoy, even with those frustrations. Works on jobs, relationships, and other frustrations, too.

Edited by impulse

I never expected it to be enforced anyway. So... business as usual then.

Enforced? We have no understanding of that word. Some strange western word.

This is actually precisely correct , so get back to the west or get over it, naysayers !clap2.gif

I'm sure the laws against roadside vendors will be rigorously enforced from now on and we'll all be able to walk home without breathing barbecue smoke, having hot oil from a wok spat at us or waiting behind a Thai woman as she chooses her new shoes.

Yes i agree, street stalls such as on lower Sukumvit add character, pleasure and opportunity for many, especially tourists who just do not want to spend the evening in a 'girlie bar'. However the grog sellers need not be there, is it fair for those bar owners who have to pay dues and taxes, to have someone on a 'freebe' set up opposite. I say get rid of them.

clap2.gif Sorry not only Bangkok the whole country whistling.gif