Aussies Warned About Phuket Scamsters

webfact

Aussies warned about Phuket scamsters

BANGKOK: -- Australian tourists in Phuket should be wary of extortion gangs, some of which are in cahoots with local police.

Australian Ambassador James Wise and his British counterpart, Mark Kent, have joined a Thai Ministry of Tourism campaign to tackle tourist scams on Phuket.

Up to 25,000 Australians visit Phuket each month, with Christmas and New Year the peak of the tourism season.

The main scams involve taxi and jet-ski operators in Phuket and the seaside resort town of Pattaya.

Mr Wise said travellers needed to be on their guard when they hired jet-skis or motorcycles.

"Consider the implications if it is stolen or damaged. Foreigners are commonly detained by police until compensation, often thousands of dollars, is negotiated between the parties."

Mr Kent said travellers should be cautious in "crowded markets, tourist sites, bus or train stations and festivals".

"It is best to avoid isolated neighbourhoods, shortcuts, narrow alleys and poorly lit streets, especially late at night," he said.

Larry Cunningham, Australia's honorary consul in Phuket, said scams and criminality had increased to such an extent that expatriates wanted to leave the island.

Mr Cunningham said young travellers were specially targeted by gangs and on occasion by local police.

In one incident, a young Australian man was involved in a minor traffic accident when riding a rental bike. He was told by police an injured man's condition was serious and was forced to pay thousands of dollars in compensation. [more...]

Full story: http://www.smh.com.a...1223-2btzi.html

-- The Sydney Morning Herald 2012-12-24

footer_n.gif

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same old scams.

Same old extortions.

Same old rip offs.

Same old corruption.

Same old lack of action by Government here to fix what is clearly having a negative impact on the tourism industry and on tourists in general.

The Sydney Morning Herald is a very widely read publication and website in Australia. The article doesn't describe Phuket as a great place for a holiday, especially the death statistics towards the end of the article, although some of those deaths would be from natural causes.

If Phuket truly wants to "brand" itself, it needs to raise the quality of the product they are advertising and marketing to the world, or face a declining market share in the future. In fact, I would say they have already lost a lot of the western tourist market to rival places in Thailand, and neighbouring countries.

Through this article, and many other similar articles, the Australian and British Government are informing their citizens that Phuket is not a quality product/place for a holiday, yet nothing has been done at a local level to address the issues that has plagued Phuket for years.

From memory, I can not think of any other tourist desination in the world where the Ambassadors of two countries have to go to the public media to release safety and security warnings to their citizens. The amout of victims here are obviously draining the Embassy's resources to cope.

The general attitude of officials here is it's the tourists fault for getting scammed, robbed, extorted, assualted etc. They view tourists with utter contempt.

I, like many others, have given up hope for positive change here. That said, the only question that remains is, just how bad are they going to allow it to get here????

Sad to see a great place slowly slip down the S bend.

Yep spot on I would say ...real shame ...

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

At a recent expat presentation by a UK Embassy official he mentioned that last year Consular Services provided assistance for 23 rape & sexual assault victims in Thailand, so it would appear there are a lot of crimes against foreigners that are not covered in the local English language media. He didn't breakdown the numbers by location. He also said there were 840k UK visitors to Thailand last year.

Edited by simple1

Great article - we need more press like this. At least tourists are aware of the risks. Not much will change in terms of clearing up these gangs/police until tourist numbers drop significantly. Jet skis are out of the question and think I'd rather walk, if possible, and enjoy what scenery is left...

• Like 1

Yes, I view this is a positive article because the only way we are going to see things improve is if various consulates project travelers warnings and people stop coming here.

Only then will the powers that be do something about the problem.

But with tourist numbers continually growing, I doubt anything will be done.

C'mon America, Canada, Western Europe, etc. find some balls and follow in these guy's footsteps.

• Like 1

Mr Wise said travellers needed to be on their guard when they hired jet-skis or motorcycles.

"Consider the implications if it is stolen or damaged. Foreigners are commonly detained by police until compensation, often thousands of dollars, is negotiated between the parties."

And these type of scams will continue, regardless of politician talk, until the police get serious about shutting down such scams. However, this is unlikely to occur since I expect the police gets part of the negotiated settlement...call it supplemental, non-taxable income.

• Like 1

This article typifies the direction the country is heading in some parts and the extent people will go to , to make life a misery for others on a holiday, all tourists should be made well aware before they leave their country of origin, of the pitfalls holidaying in L.O.S. something like big notices at the departure lounge, The Shincorp crowd might have to get a little egg on their face before they act, me coffee1.gif thinks.

Ok, how many people visit each month, how many people of those visiting get scammed. Compareing apples to oranges I would say very few because they keep coming. Met a dad and daughter here in Chiang Mai who were going for a wedding, asked the dad and granddad how it went he said they had a great time. I do not know the percentage of tourist that get scammed but would be willing to bet it is less than one percent of total visitors, thats why nothing is done

• Like 2

Posted 2012-06-22 16:40:28

Chalerm vows to get rid of mafia in tourism businesses

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung Friday has vowed to get rid of the mafia groups in the tourism business within three months.

http://www.thaivisa....within-3-month/

Yes, who could forget that promise?

Perhaps the 3 months has simply not started as yet

• Like 2

From memory, I can not think of any other tourist desination in the world where the Ambassadors of two countries have to go to the public media to release safety and security warnings to their citizens. The amount of victims here are obviously draining the Embassy's resources to cope.

I think you hit it on the head there NamkangMan.

The resources of both embassies must be stretched thin trying to deal with issues resulting from scams. As the scams continue and become a more brazen free for all it will escalate to a point where the embassies will not be able to cope with the demand on their services. Of course they need to continue to provide services to their citizens, or try and shame the government into acting and restoring some law and order so they can manage okay.

I have some friends that live in China visiting this holiday season,where last holiday season they went to Sanya, on Hainan Island. I asked about prices, scams etc. of the two places and they told me that Hainan had a lot more scams and much higher prices than here, so it's not just Phuket trying to squeeze as much out of tourists as possible. Of course I agree that all these ripoffs and scams need to be stopped, but I just can't see it happening given the poor attitude of the "local" Thais which generally aren't local Phuket born Thais at all.

Same same on Bali Steelepulse...Bali has these problems too and they're mainly caused

by Javanese trash coming to make $$$ off of unwitting tourista's. The scams & mafia are

everywhere these days not only on Phuket, Bali or Hainan or Vung Tao or...wherever.