D.i.d Chain Are They Genuine From Japan?

Cobrabiker

I got a 530 korean brand O ring from a small shop and after about 4000 km, it had over stretched and worn out 2 sprokets, one at 500km (no brand, bought locally) and another 1000km (JT, from ebay) steel sprocket. I need to get new chain and sprocket but I was told that d.i.d was made in China, and some said in Thailand, and some said only the packet is genuine but the chain is inferior immitation. Can someone striaghten out what is going on? And this shop K speed claimed that theirs are from Japan, has anyone use it? Any other good chain to recommend here in Thailand?

http://www.k-speed.n...620_th_1574345#

And also, where can I get strong durable steel sprocket? Thanks!

Bike,Yamaha FZ1

Edited by Cobrabiker
  • Like 1

The Kawasaki chain would have been a DID (a low end model) if it was for there 650 units.

Not sure where they are made but they last well, the only issue i'm having is with my front sprocket, the standard Kawasaki ones seem to be made from chocolate

The Kawasaki chain would have been a DID (a low end model) if it was for there 650 units.

Not sure where they are made but they last well, the only issue i'm having is with my front sprocket, the standard Kawasaki ones seem to be made from chocolate

It was for a klx250

I think they have a Thai production license as well.

IIRC CBR150 DID chains (480?) are Thai made DID, and the CBR250 DID chain (520) is Japanese made.

I'm pretty sure that's correct.

Any idea how to tell the difference between thai made and the japanese made?

I found out that D.I.D are made in Thailand, and also made in China, the problem is, are they as durable as those made in Japan?

http://honlidmotor.t...04378-103494454/100_ORIGINAL_DID_MOTORCYCLE_CHAIN.html

http://www.alibaba.c.../did-chain.html

I think they have a Thai production license as well.

IIRC CBR150 DID chains (480?) are Thai made DID, and the CBR250 DID chain (520) is Japanese made.

I'm pretty sure that's correct.

Any idea how to tell the difference between thai made and the japanese made?

I found out that D.I.D are made in Thailand, and also made in China, the problem is, are they as durable as those made in Japan?

http://honlidmotor.t...04378-103494454/100_ORIGINAL_DID_MOTORCYCLE_CHAIN.html

http://www.alibaba.c.../did-chain.html

My recollection of it all was that upon release loads of new CBR150 had chain issues, those with CBR250's didn't. Ended up (iirc) that the ones for the 150 (480 size) were thai made and the cbr250 (520 size) were Japanese made.

Take from that what you will.

Edited by cbrer

I buy all my DID X-ring chains in the US (Japanese made) and have a friend ship them over. There is just too much counterfeiting going on here to screw around with things like chains. I don't want to deal with it, so I just make an end run around it all. My method has served me well with high quality chains and sprockets (and other stuff -- e.g., I save a lot of money on spark plugs).

• Like 1

I buy all my DID X-ring chains in the US (Japanese made) and have a friend ship them over. There is just too much counterfeiting going on here to screw around with things like chains. I don't want to deal with it, so I just make an end run around it all. My method has served me well with high quality chains and sprockets (and other stuff -- e.g., I save a lot of money on spark plugs).

That will be the best bet! But sometimes in a hurry, can't wait, I am just wondering where are the places in Thailand that sells genuine parts? Is this K speed credible?

Watch out for this company offering lifetime warranty for the titanum sprocket, and chain up to 16000 lbs ts, snake oil?

http://sidewindersprockets.com/

Krause over at Sidewinder Chain and Sprockets convinced me to spend twice as much on a chain and sprocket for my ZX-14. I spent a total of $599 with him (of course I had to buy his lube too; you know, 'it's the best lube' too...). I have been riding my whole life and I cannot believe I was that stupid.

I purchased the chain in August of 2011. My ZX14 was down early fall through almost mid-summer 2012 due to a PowerCommander issue, so I put very few miles on it this year. When I did begin riding, the chain didn't stretch at all at first and then went way faster than the heavy-duty D.I.D. or RK chains I typically buy.

With less than 6,000 miles on the chain, and while on a cross-country trip to D.C., the chain became so bad I stopped at a dealer in Kokomo IN to have a second set of eyes look at it. The mechanic and the owner of the dealership agreed that something was wrong and I should probably install a new chain, but I might be able to get away with it until I got back. Against my gut feeling, I carried on. The next day, the chain seemed so bad I located a dealer in Springfield OH who agreed to bump me to the front of the service line to change my chain and get me back on the road. With the bike in the air on the stand in a well-lit shop I was able to look at the sprocket closely. I could not believe his 'last forever' sprocket's teeth were beginning to round off already!!!

Needless to say, this was a gigantic (and expensive) P.I.T.A. So, when I got home the following week I called Sidewinder to discuss it with them. They didn't answer their phone (which is typical if you've dealt with them), so I left a voicemail. Several days later I had not heard anything, so I called back and left another voicemail. When I did not hear back from them within several more days I sent an email. That was a couple days ago and I haven't heard anything back. I sent another email just prior to posting this, but I do not expect a response, so I figured I would go on a couple forums and let anyone who may be considering buying one of these chains or sprockets know of my experience.

On a side-bar, I have a SuperSprox Titanium/Aluminum rear sprocket on my FZ1 that I have beat the piss out of for 15,000 miles that looks better than this Sidewinder sprocket.

The only reason his chains and sprockets cost any more money are because he is a super small shop. He does not have the same economy of scale that real manufacturers do. This is most likely also why he cannot backup his guaranty.

If you think some guy out of nowhere is going to have better R&D than a major manufacturer (D.I.D., RK, your OEM replacement, whoever) you're crazy. I already made the mistake. Learn from mine.

Have a good one.

(By the way, my FZ1 and ZX14 have a combined 100,000 miles in less than 10 years and I live in Chicago where you can't ride 4 months out of the year, so I think I do a fair amount of riding and motorcycle maintenance)

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=785466

• 4 months later...

Just want to give an update, I had bought RK X-ring from red baron, after over 2000km, stretched a little bit, and my sprockets are good as new, highly recommended, but I think I had spent too much, the EK O-ring will be just as good, much cheaper.