Noticed This On My First Trip To Pattaya

RefinedGentleman

Visited Pattaya about 3 weeks ago and noticed something a little odd. A couple of police officers installed themselves at a street corner in front of the bar where I was drinking. For over an hour they systematically stopped one scooter driver after another (only scooters, no cars) and asked to see their drivers license. While I thought it was a little odd that they would stop so many people who hadn't committed any traffic offense, what really got me was that they didn't stop a single Thai person. Every single driver they stopped was a farang. <deleted>?!

Fairly typical of the stops setup to extract money rather than enforce any laws. Why would they stop Thais that will be less likely to have the money they so desire. I've seen this setup even outside the cop shop on soi 9 where only foreigners were being stopped, even I'd they had helmets on where as Thais riding 3 to a bike with no helmets were not even stopped.

Welcome to Thailand.

• Like 1

ive actually found the police quite fair in pattaya.

Indeed! When I was banged up for some drunken ruckus from the previous night, some Thai bar owner was demanding 25000 baht from me for 'damages'. The Soi 9 MiB quickly told him to pull his head in and try for 15000 instead. I eventually got out for 12000. Bargain!

• Like 2

ive actually found the police quite fair in pattaya.

Indeed! When I was banged up for some drunken ruckus from the previous night, some Thai bar owner was demanding 25000 baht from me for 'damages'. The Soi 9 MiB quickly told him to pull his head in and try for 15000 instead. I eventually got out for 12000. Bargain!

Naughty boy-consider your arse slapped and promise to behave in future LOL thumbsup.gif

To the OP. The right to stop does not need an offence per se but the chances are high that many foreigners will ride motorcycles with no valid licence which is an offence. As is no helmet. Two policemen could hardly keep up if they stopped Thais as well on such a small scale road check. The larger road blocks do indeed stop Thais and all of them.

Edited by petercool

Fairly typical of the stops setup to extract money rather than enforce any laws. Why would they stop Thais that will be less likely to have the money they so desire. I've seen this setup even outside the cop shop on soi 9 where only foreigners were being stopped, even I'd they had helmets on where as Thais riding 3 to a bike with no helmets were not even stopped.

Welcome to Thailand.

Give it a rest, there's no money to extract if no offense has been committed. And has been already pointed out, Thais are also usually stopped too...see it everyday.

Welcome to Thailand.

Give it a rest, there's no money to extract if no offense has been committed. And has been already pointed out, Thais are also usually stopped too...see it everyday.

If a Thai is not wearing a helmet or is traveling more than 2 ppl to a bike then an obvious offense is being committed and I have seen many times where they are not stopped. I'm sure many others have seen the same. To say that it NEVER occurs is just ignorant.

To the OP. The right to stop does not need an offence per se but the chances are high that many foreigners will ride motorcycles with no valid licence which is an offence. As is no helmet. Two policemen could hardly keep up if they stopped Thais as well on such a small scale road check. The larger road blocks do indeed stop Thais and all of them.

If we're talking about breaking the law and endangering other people's lives what about the huge number of people that decide to cross the yellow line and drive down third Road on the wrong side to turn right onto Pattaya Klang ? Today I had to pull over onto the left to allow a guy to do this in an SUV as he was tearing down the road and didn't give a dam_n about people driving in the correct lane. Where is it all going to end? We have the fruit barrows and motorbikes in the wrong direction and now we have these complete freaking lunatics. But no it's easier to extract the money from farangs

No-one is saying it never happens but only that the blanket view that only foreigners are ever targeted is incorrect.

You only have to view the fine queues at various police stations to see just how many Thais are booked.

As I have stated on numerous occasions now, there is not a "blanket view" that only foreigners are being targeted. It all depends on what the agenda is at that particular stop.

Welcome to Thailand.

If a Thai is not wearing a helmet or is traveling more than 2 ppl to a bike then an obvious offense is being committed and I have seen many times where they are not stopped. I'm sure many others have seen the same. To say that it NEVER occurs is just ignorant.

Who said that?

Welcome to Thailand.

What exactly are we giving a rest? The fact that police setup check points to extract money from foreigners and let the Thais go by with no stops? Cause that is what the OP states and what this thread is about. Are you missing the fact that thais that have committed visually confirmed offenses are not being stopped? Are you unsure that this is going on?

What exactly needs to be given a rest?

• Like 1

As it's been said multiple times it's all a matter of what the agenda of the police at that stop is. Keep in mind that the BIB pay big money to be posted in Pattaya and it's not because of all the lady boy's they get to frisk on a daily basis.

As it's been said multiple times it's all a matter of what the agenda of the police at that stop is. Keep in mind that the BIB pay big money to be posted in Pattaya and it's not because of all the lady boy's they get to frisk on a daily basis.

Oh that would be fun...do the foreign police volunteers get to do this too? If so, I may just sign-up :)

Welcome to Thailand.

What exactly are we giving a rest? The fact that police setup check points to extract money from foreigners and let the Thais go by with no stops? Cause that is what the OP states and what this thread is about. Are you missing the fact that thais that have committed visually confirmed offenses are not being stopped? Are you unsure that this is going on?

Please give a rest to the twin tropes that the police checkpoints are only to extract money from people and that only foreigners are subject to these stops. Both of these statements are untrue. The checkpoints are to check that the laws relating to owning and driving a motorbike are being observed and as anyone with a functioning pair of eyes (or maybe even only one good eye) can see both Thais and foreigners are stopped at said checkpoints.

If someone is driving their moto in contravention of one or more laws relating to their ownership and use, and one is caught by the police doing this, there is a fine to be paid to the state. I believe this is the case the world over. So in a sense money is "extracted"from people but it is entirely justified. You seem to imply that there is something wrong with such cash extractions.

(The fact remains that more than one agenda is being carried out in Thailand at any one time and to try and lump them all into one neat package is a bit naive.)

This Thailand Dude...

suck it up or move ......!!

(The fact remains that more than one agenda is being carried out in Thailand at any one time and to try and lump them all into one neat package is a bit naive.)

This Thailand Dude...

suck it up or move ......!!

Yeah.. go home already!

• Like 1

Welcome to Thailand.

Please give a rest to the twin tropes that the police checkpoints are only to extract money from people and that only foreigners are subject to these stops. Both of these statements are untrue. The checkpoints are to check that the laws relating to owning and driving a motorbike are being observed and as anyone with a functioning pair of eyes (or maybe even only one good eye) can see both Thais and foreigners are stopped at said checkpoints.

If someone is driving their moto in contravention of one or more laws relating to their ownership and use, and one is caught by the police doing this, there is a fine to be paid to the state. I believe this is the case the world over. So in a sense money is "extracted"from people but it is entirely justified. You seem to imply that there is something wrong with such cash extractions.

head_up_your_ass2_002.jpg