Plane Spotting - The Quiz

David48

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While we are waiting for the latest correct spotting ... a nod to the member lomatopo who posted this in another thread.

Subtle camera angles have no shots of the lassies below the shoulders ... sad.png

Edited by David48

Does this help?

post-104736-0-99814200-1360475480_thumb.

Azerbaijan? Azerbaijan has stripes like those under the fuselage. but is it in Europe?

Nice try ... but not Azerbaijan either.

Just to make sure (because you guys are good) ... just checked the Airline's website ... definately mainland central Europe.

If I could hint ... it would be in a Union of Europe.

Looks like a combination spotting to GrantSmith for the plane model and to diddums and Ricardo for the Airline ... clap2.gif

Also ... sorry about that ... I didn't think it would so difficut to guess ... hope I wasn't being to obtuse ... goof.gif

So, for the record ...

It was a Jetairfly from Phuket via Suvarnabhumi on it's way to Brussels (hence my verbal clue)

As for the model it's a Boeing 767-341ER (B763)

• Airline: Jetairfly
  • Flight: TB624
  • Via: Bangkok, Suvarnabhumi (BKK)
  • To: Brussels, Brussels (BRU)
  • Aircraft: Boeing 767-341ER (B763)
  • Reg: OO-TUC
  • Altitude: 1450 ft (442 m)
  • V/S: 0 fpm
  • Speed: 131 kt (243 km/h, 151 mph)
  • Track: 15°
  • Hex: 44D2A3
  • Squawk: 0000
  • Pos:

I'll put some more detail below because diddum's photo above does raise an interesting point.

^^ Thanks Dancealot for the musical interlude ... biggrin.png

So, down to the discrepancies of the plane photos.

post-104736-0-34283200-1360533537_thumb. . post-104736-0-90967600-1360533540_thumb.

Photo1 diddums contribution . . Photo2 what I found

Acknowledgement of copyright as applicable.

What I noted from Photo1 is that it's name is 'tui-airlines'.

Some flying round the net reveals this ...

The '
Airlines of the TUI Travel group
are eight European airlines owned by
the largest tourism group in Europe. The group airlines operate scheduled flights as well as charter flights to more than 150 destinations worldwide departing from more than 60 airports in 9 European countries.

From 2005 the names and liveries of the group airlines were changed to reflect the name of the group and to increase recognition by using a single marketing name. All airlines in the group were rebranded with the name best known in their local market or the name of the principal tour operator,
and
, acquired the suffix "-fly" and had their aircraft repainted in the light blue TUI colours with a red TUI logo on the tail. However, Corsairfly has been renamed Corsair International and has a new livery.

So, when GrantSmith wrote ...

Thomson Airways 767-300 with winglets..

... wasn't far off the mark, and indirectly, correct.

You guys put a lot of effort into the spotting and I try and keep it as factual as possible.

Thanks to everyone who guessed this one ... wai.gif

Wonder why they'd stop at BKK en-route ? Surely somewhere in the Gulf would be better, if it were just a tech-stop, to buy some cheap fuel or change aircrew ?

Perhaps they were also picking-up more passengers, off a two-center-holiday, or had consolidated two flights into one, due to low load-factors ?

Anyone in-the-know care to comment ?

Wonder why they'd stop at BKK en-route ? Surely somewhere in the Gulf would be better, if it were just a tech-stop, to buy some cheap fuel or change aircrew ?

Perhaps they were also picking-up more passengers, off a two-center-holiday, or had consolidated two flights into one, due to low load-factors ?

Anyone in-the-know care to comment ?

http://www.airliners...47406d9e427d44b

According to the above J.Suzuki captured it at SVB on Jan 19th but It was showing on Flightradar24, yesterday, as regularly doing an HKT to BRU run

and this

"

• Jetair Fly - Brussel - Phuket - Voordelig…
    Translate this page
    www.thailandtravel.nl/tickets.php?view=info&id=19
    Dag 7 HKT-BRU JAF 676 08.30 / 19.15 (**) BRU=Brussel, HKT= Phuket (*) Aankomst op dag 7. Dag 6 is zaterdag,dag 7 is zondag. Vluchtgegevens naar Bangkok:
    confirms it is a weekend triangle BRU-HKT-BKK-BRU.

How long is the runway at HKT? Could taking off with a Europe bound load of fuel be a consideration or do other airlines do it all the time?

Edited by lubbkis

Not an official spotting, however ...

Given the difficulities of the last plane ... maybe something a little more well known.

30199719-01_big.jpg

You just beat me to itthumbsup.gifclap2.gif I am searching for the full calendar nowcoffee1.gif

I am thinking of buying a 1000 calendars, then bring them to New York, rent a helicopter and fly over the snow disaster zone and throw them out 1 by 1.

That should get the poor Americans 'warmed up'. Also good advertising for tourism to Thailand.thumbsup.gif Any sponsors out there?

Edited by Dancealot

Something I hope I never see when flying ...

407039_176850905763162_459199861_n.jpg

Is it a Lufthansa A320?

cheesy.gif

Yes ... nice little bit of photo shopping there ... if you look real hard you can see the yellow towing vehicle in

the reflection of the ... of the ... Lufthansa A320 ... very funny Mr lubbkis ... tongue.png

Edited by David48

Speaking of Lufthansa and what the subject matter of the photo was.

Maybe 5 years or so I ago, I was flying Lufthansa from Germany into Eastern Europe ... done the flight a few times.

One time I looked out the side window and I couldn't believe what I saw ... one of the few times I was genuinely concerned when flying.

Planes travel in corridors as we all know.

Flying in the corridor but in the reverse direction was another commercial jet ... at the same <deleted>' altitude!

We passed at close to 500 metres with a combined speed of maybe 1,000 kph.

To watch it fly towards us was an amazing sight at that speed.

Maybe, apart from sharing this story, my question is ... how on earth did this happen?

I thought that planes had the early warning devices etc?

vfraltitude.gif

Is the above a 'general guide' only?

Is the above a 'general guide' only?

Not a general guide.

In most cases controllers follow this for correct separation of aircraft flying in opposing directions.

In some cases there will be a reason for a situation such as the one you described.

One of the aircraft may have been changing altitude (or about to), and with both aircraft operating under VMC, the controller would have had the pilots on both aircraft report visual sighting of the other.