Plane Spotting - The Quiz

David48

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello All, will get the pics PM'ed to you later this afternoon.

The Convair XYF Pogo is the plane I saw in the 50's.

If you look at just the fuselage without the wings, it looks like

the engines on some of the USSR long range bombers.

rice555

But my absoloute favourite is ...

You can't do this stuff without the support of your partner.

She's having fun guessing the plane etc.

The last comment is a bit muffled ... but it's along the lines of ... "not pretty like Thai Air Hostess' ... cheesy.gif

The opening comment is that she spots it as Korean Airliner.

It's a Farm joke because she well knows what it is, but when the same airline flew over a few days earlier,

the Farm Father said 'Korea' sure ... I replied with "no ... it's a ********"

But later then asked if it OK to correct an older male ... saving face etc.

Hence the Korean referance.

Will have a new plane soon and will post the photos from rice555 as soon as I receive them.

A question for you guys please.

I have heaps of photos of planes from my stay at the Farm.

Some are multiple photos of the same airline, though not necessarily the same model plane.

I like to cross reference the planes registration against the information that I have to verify some details before I post.

But I have noticed that several planes don’t carry/display their rego visible on the underside of their wings.

Is there any international requirement for this ... what is general accepted industry practice?

Thanks

Hi David,

Found this - might be of interest. Have a look at the 7th page of the document.

Pretty sure it varies, although the ICAO states lower side of the wing.... Maybe just harder to spot on some aircraft.

You do realise of course that we're all going to be trying to spot from now onwhether there's a rego painted under the wings.....

A question for you guys please.

I have heaps of photos of planes from my stay at the Farm.

Some are multiple photos of the same airline, though not necessarily the same model plane.

I like to cross reference the planes registration against the information that I have to verify some details before I post.

But I have noticed that several planes don’t carry/display their rego visible on the underside of their wings.

Is there any international requirement for this ... what is general accepted industry practice?

Thanks

Hi David,

Found this - might be of interest. Have a look at the 7th page of the document.

Pretty sure it varies, although the ICAO states lower side of the wing.... Maybe just harder to spot on some aircraft.

You do realise of course that we're all going to be trying to spot from now onwhether there's a rego painted under the wings.....

Was there an attachment earlier? When shooting, spotters will take a shot just to get the registration. With take-offs certain US based airlines are the worst because they put the reg high on the fuselage which is hidden when you are below it.

An easy solution for big civilian craft is to note the time of the take-off, go to flightradar24 and replay that time. Then you'll get chapter and verse from the transponder information fed to flightradar24. This doesn't work for aircraft without transponders like the Embraers or the funny thing shown earlier. My guess it was a drone that lost its way and is looking for planespotters to "take out" 555.

1. Thai Airways Boeing 747-400

2. S7 Airlines Boeing 767-300

3. Singapore Airlines 777-200

How we looking?.

Well guys ... how is he looking?

I'll leave that to you guys with much more knowledge them me.

Welcome aboard GrantSmith ... thanks for dropping and great first post in this thread ... clap2.gif

1. Thai Airways Boeing 747-400

2. S7 Airlines Boeing 767-300

3. Singapore Airlines 777-200

How we looking?.

Well guys ... how is he looking?

I'll leave that to you guys with much more knowledge them me.

Welcome aboard GrantSmith ... thanks for dropping and great first post in this thread ... clap2.gif

I think he is spot on ... apart from the "Korean". As an almost 65 yo male I claim infallibility.

Thanks David48,

Long time reader of this forum wink.png

Korean Air Boeing 737-800

(Bit harder on the iPhone screen compared to the iPad wink.png)

I'm glad that you have contributed ... thumbsup.gif ... we are all friends here.

I really know little about planes ... but I do know how to make the most of the circumstances that present themselves and ... I could have found the planes landing (especially ay 3.30am) annoying ... but took the other tact and recorded what I experienced to share with you lot ... biggrin.png

So ... if you are guessing about # 020 ... a good start.

Indeed it's Boeing and yes, it's a '7' series ... but it not a 737.

Indeed it's Boeing and yes, it's a '7' series ... but it not a 737.

Its not a 737? I thought with those large winglets it had to be a 737 (737-700) - or do I need using a bigger screen...

Sorry SVB ... my flight data doesn't show it as a 737.

But ... I know your ability with plane spotting, so I checked the photos for this style of plane.

Some had the 'large winglets' ... some didn't ... so maybe they are an after market (post manufactured) accessory ... w00t.gif

Edited by David48

No idea of the airline but looks like a 757 with winglets like Iceland Air use.

post-80090-0-21938800-1360394195.jpg

You are close enough to be toasty ... w00t.gif

Don't wish to make it too difficult ... for the Airline ... think European.

The livery looks like KLM but I didn't think they still flew 757s so that's my only guess really.

Edited by RabC

^^ Warm on both accounts (model and Airline)

After the above discussion and a good bit of web research I'm guessing KLM 737-900, (yes 3)

KLM do operate A330 but the wing tip sweep is not as pronounced as on the new Boeings.

Edited by lubbkis

^^ Warm on both accounts (model and Airline)

After the above discussion and a good bit of web research I'm guessing KLM 737-900, (yes 3)

KLM do operate A330 but the wing tip sweep is not as pronounced as on the new Boeings.

Sadly ... no on either account.

Thomson Airways 767-300 with winglets..

But I didn't think Thomson Airways had 763's..

As for my earlier post regarding the SQ 772, it's most likely the ER model as the -200 series all went to their low cost off shoot Scoot.

I saw something like that on the tarmac at Siem Reap about Easter 2012.