Parking Your Car At The Airport

cdmtdm

I didn't think there was public parking at PIA. Isnt it just pick up and drop off and taxi parking?

There is plenty of public parking but on the far side of the car park. The taxis have all the near side. I have never not found a parking spot, must admit it takes a while to find a place.

It must depend on what time of day you try to park then because I have had problems finding a space a many occasions.

Sometime driving round in circles for about 20 mins then giving up and double parking and now that the cargo car park is closed it's even worse.

Yes, I cant remember the last time I actually found a spot. I just put the car in nuetral and double park it. I reckon the mayor of Phuket would struggle to find a spot there. Its the same in Patong, Kata, Karon. Really its just one big taxi rank

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

It must depend on what time of day you try to park then because I have had problems finding a space a many occasions.

Sometime driving round in circles for about 20 mins then giving up and double parking and now that the cargo car park is closed it's even worse.

Yes, I cant remember the last time I actually found a spot. I just put the car in nuetral and double park it. I reckon the mayor of Phuket would struggle to find a spot there. Its the same in Patong, Kata, Karon. Really its just one big taxi rank

Exactly. The best that has been in there for me for a long time is double parking at the far end next to the public road, taking care not to forget not to apply the hand brake.

Exactly. The best that has been in there for me for a long time is double parking at the far end next to the public road, taking care not to forget not to apply the hand brake.

The last time I parked there I got blocked in by a Mini-van, took me 45mins to find the driver who was sitting in the departures area, he couldn't care less, another 15mins wait and his mate came and gave me the keys to move it!! never again, that place is a joke, no way would I double park and leave the handbrake off, thats asking for damage!!

• 2 months later...

Any latest news on parking at the airport?

I have to go up to the big smoke for a day and will be taking my car to the airport.

Still as bad as ever. Try to park way at the back and expect to be blocked when you return. Just hope they left the parking brake off.

Have never had a problem finding a carpark, but time of day has a big influence on ease of finding a space. Early morning/late afternoon no problem. On coming back have had to move a few cars to get mine out, luckily the other drivers always leave their parking brake off. 200 Baht a day is correct.

Is the free parking lot, next door, still there and did anyone use it overnight ?

No, not there anymore, is being build on at the moment.

...and guess what they're building? I was there 2 days ago, it looks like a multi-storey car park! YAY!

...and guess what they're building? I was there 2 days ago, it looks like a multi-storey car park! YAY!

Correct - there is a new large structure well under construction. I assume that is the new airport extension and it looks like a proper multi level car park. I wonder is the fee will still be 200 baht/day. I doubt it.

Came through in the evening a few days ago (about 8PM). Was very surprised that the contractor was actually still at work at this hour. Saw quite a bit of welding sparks. Glad to see it. Now if the contractor along Sai Kor Road in Patong could get the hint.

• 7 months later...

Correct - there is a new large structure well under construction. I assume that is the new airport extension and it looks like a proper multi level car park. I wonder is the fee will still be 200 baht/day. I doubt it.

I haven't seen an update or newer thread on this topic when I did a search. Does anyone know what the current day rate is at the airport for parking? I need to do a run up to the embassy in Bangkok for a piece of paper that I must do in person. I was think about getting the first Air Asia flight out at 7:10 AM, schedule a morning appointment and then catch a return in the afternoon. They have great deals, round trip about ฿2,000, about the same as a taxi to the airport from Rawai and back… ;-)