Supplementing Thai Employer Provided Health Insurance

Hi,

My employer in Thailand provides me with pretty good health insurance, but not excellent. For example, it has what I consider to be adequate coverage for surgery, physician room visits, 24 hour in-room nursing care, general expenses and PA, but one area that I find lacking is the room and board: at private hospitals they only cover 1500 per day and 50% of anything over 1500. So, if the daily room charge was 5000, my out of pocket would be 1750 baht per day. And furthermore, if god forbid I had a serious medical condition, I'd feel more at ease knowing I had better coverage.

So, what I think I would like to do is supplement the insurance provided by my employer with a private insurance plan--and I am thinking about Thai Health Insurance's "Maxi Healthy". I notice on their website that their maximum payable per Disability/Time/Year pays 90 Percent of the eligible expenses in excess of the deductible. Thankfully I've been pretty healthy my entire life and don't have much experience with health insurance so I'm wondering if the insurance provided by my employer would cover the deductible for the private insurance.

Any advice on the above questions and comments on the mentioned insurance plan would be greatly appreciated.

UCS smile.png

Both Bupa and Thai Health Insurance (THI) offer Supplemental Major Medical. It kicks in to pay when covered portions your group hospital coverage are used up. They are good to have, but nothing is perfect.

Bupa Extra Care pays 80% up to the limit of the plan you choose,

They also increase your Daily Room and Board coverage.

THI Maxi Care pays 90% and offers higher limits, but they don't supplement your Daily Room & Board coverage until after you have stayed 61 days in the hospital.

Most hospitals in Thailand charge less than 3,000 baht per day for room and board and nursing care. But, some of the popular "expat hospitals" charge 6,000 to 9,000 baht per day. Be careful.

Edited by tonydabbs