Www.thaiexpat.tv

Pattaya28

I tried it a while ago. It offers a limited selection of channels. The AV streams are compressed again from the original, so quality is reduced. Audio is particularly poor though many people probably wouldn't notice. I noticed occasional buffering problems on some channels.

The software player that I tried was very basic and had no recording function, or any sort of fast-forward/rewind facility. Playback was restricted to "live" or with a fixed number of hours delay. No built-in programme guide. The player may have been improved since I tried it, and the "box" that they sell may work better.

Personally I think that the competing service UKTV Asia is technically streets ahead (proper programme guide, proper fast-forward/rewind, watch anything from the last few days at any time) but at 800B/month or so it is much too expensive for what it is (neither company pays anything at all to the original content providers as they just rebroadcast without permission). It also offers a limited selection of channels. As with ExpatTV the AV quality of UKTV Asia is also lower than it should be and the player can be very flaky for recordings. Streaming seems to work reliably, including delayed streaming. No buffering problems on my internet connection. I would subscribe to this if they charged about half what they are currently charging.

Edited by BlackPuddingBertha

Personally I think that the competing service UKTV Asia is technically streets ahead (proper programme guide, proper fast-forward/rewind, watch anything from the last few days at any time) but at 800B/month or so it is much too expensive for what it is (neither company pays anything at all to the original content providers as they just rebroadcast without permission).

UKTV was good but like you say far too expensive. In fact I'd say a rip-off. TIT

I use the thai expat TV service, it's been flawless works as it should, although I've only used it a few times.

Picture quality is OK for streaming, I think they struck the right balance between acceptable picture and the bandwidth resource required.

I know its controversial but I feel vindicated cos I am a Brit and did pay TV licence some time ago!

Hi everyone

I signed up to Thaiexpat tv 3 or 4 months ago and wouldn't be without it now.

I bought the magic box and a 12 month subscription.

They have BBC 1/2/3/4 and ITV 1/2/3/4 plus Sky News, film 4 etc.

about 30 channels, They have recently added some Russian channels but not at the expense of other channels.

I have fibre optic internet (22 M/S) so no buffering problems.

If you use freeplayo you can quickly accumulate enough points to trade for the magic box or the software version 3/6/12 months.

cheers

Monthly Fees

Our monthly fees are THB 490 incl. VAT. We do also offer three months subscriptions at THB 1,470 incl.VAT here price today says 490 not 800

I was talking about the price of UKTV Asia. I thought that was fairly clear but maybe not.

Your price is more reasonable but your software player has a lot fewer features (no EPG, no FF/Rewind, no recording function, no possibility of starting playback outside of the 2 streamed times), unless you have improved it recently.

what is the benefit of thai expat and uktv over having a vpn address and watching catchup shows for free?

I imagine you can watch tv live with these items,but with the time difference is it that important?

I love watching uk tv shows can someone explain the benefit

With my vpn address i can watch the majority of uk tv shows a day after they are broadcasted

I have a VPN and I use it for Iplayer etc.

Main drawbacks to that are:

I have to turn the VPN on and off to use it, and that can upset other things I'm doing at the same time

my internet connection is not good enough to stream AV from outside of Thailand, so I have to download then play back

not all channels are available, or have to access them from different sites for download

Minor drawbacks, admittedly.

Advantages of VPN:

AV quality exactly as broadcast, including HD

The advantages of UKTV Asia are:

no buffering problems as the content is streamed from servers nearby

no need to turn on a VPN

access all programmes from built-in EPG

skip forward/back available at all times

stream can be started on any channel at any time over the previous 4 or 5 days (this is the really good part) and once started it plays like a live stream

stream can be saved as an mpeg for playback on another device (doesnt actually work very reliably)

Disadvantages:

cost

lower AV quality

ExpatTV doesnt have the same list of advantages as UKTV Asia, at least it didnt the last time I tried it (no EPG, only fixed streams, cant access particular programmes), and it has similar disadvantages.

I downloaded this proxy server ...

http://www.techtutorialchannel.net/2011/06/23/how-to-watch-uk-tv-shows-outside-uk-abroadinternationally-100-free-bbc-iplayer-etc/

cut paste this web address and watch all the UK channels either live or catch up ...I use it all the time but you need a reasonably fast/good internet speed to stream live ...

Can you watch live shows such as the premier league?

With my vpn which is a paid service,i can watch most of the shows i want via the tv stations catch up service normally the next day,i can switch my ip address to usa,australia,uk and all of europe and other countries which allows me to get around geoblocking in those countries.Quite good streaming,but at the moment i am on a mid range internet package and will upgrade to a better service.I don't get any live sports.

Picture and sound, choppy,jerky, fault was said to be Intel atom CPU

by UKTV, so I will not be subscribing until they fix this problem.

Normally I stream from,UK iplayers (problem with ITV) Oz,NZ,

USA,and they all work very well,use Unblock-us for sites that

need it.

Regards Worgeordie

I watched the opener of the four hills last night on a German channel live stream in good quality, picture and sound. Eurosport UK what I usually choose didn't stream, said 'the servers in your country a busy', or so. Guess I won't bother with them anymore, picture always poor and buffering more often than not. I could stream every major German channel, just don't do it because I don't care what's going on home. Can't you stream your British channels live and for free, w/o the intermediary?

After much help in this thread I found, and am now subscribed to www.uktvaccess.com. £4.99 a month or £11.97 for 3 months. It works and is very very easy to set up on PC with no software or digi-box. Took me 3 minutes. The clarity is 100% with no buffering, no slowing down of my PC, and on this site,www.ukfree.tv/allchannels.php can watch live every freeview channel.

Thanks to all that contributed in this thread and in private messages clap2.gif

• 10 months later...

After much help in this thread I found, and am now subscribed to www.uktvaccess.com. £4.99 a month or £11.97 for 3 months. It works and is very very easy to set up on PC with no software or digi-box. Took me 3 minutes. The clarity is 100% with no buffering, no slowing down of my PC, and on this site,www.ukfree.tv/allchannels.php can watch live every freeview channel.

Thanks to all that contributed in this thread and in private messages clap2.gif

Late thanks to Pattaya - UK TV Access got my son his Dr Who fix, cheers a bunch

I tried it a while ago. It offers a limited selection of channels. The AV streams are compressed again from the original, so quality is reduced. Audio is particularly poor though many people probably wouldn't notice. I noticed occasional buffering problems on some channels.

The software player that I tried was very basic and had no recording function, or any sort of fast-forward/rewind facility. Playback was restricted to "live" or with a fixed number of hours delay. No built-in programme guide. The player may have been improved since I tried it, and the "box" that they sell may work better.

Personally I think that the competing service UKTV Asia is technically streets ahead (proper programme guide, proper fast-forward/rewind, watch anything from the last few days at any time) but at 800B/month or so it is much too expensive for what it is (neither company pays anything at all to the original content providers as they just rebroadcast without permission). It also offers a limited selection of channels. As with ExpatTV the AV quality of UKTV Asia is also lower than it should be and the player can be very flaky for recordings. Streaming seems to work reliably, including delayed streaming. No buffering problems on my internet connection. I would subscribe to this if they charged about half what they are currently charging.

Man, you really should get your facts right before you go gobbing off about prices. And 'limited channels'? they have pretty much every UK terrestrial channel there is. Jeez.