33 Dead As " Seven Dangerous Days " Of New Year's Break Begin: Thailand

webfact

RT @191Thailand: Thailand Dangerous on Day 1: Chiang Mai (4 road deaths) & Bangkok (3 deaths). Drunk driving was the main cause of accidents

How difficult would it be for a check point to require every vehicle to open the driver's window while a BIB using a Type-1 human nose checked for alcohol fumes - easily detectable if you have not partaken.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First thing for road safety improvement in Thailand.

Introduce and enforce,professional drivers hours,of work time and driving time.

Recently on Telly a large vehicle driver was filmed asleep at red traffic lights.

Bib turned up and moved him on.

Aaah well.

Accident waiting to happen.

Its not just Thailand.

Check out road deaths in Uk,so far over the festive season.

They have a stringent testing process in place.

So.. which roads would you rather be driving on.. ''UK' or ''Thailand'' ...

I know where i would feel safer... but thats me....

you may be safer on the roads in the UK, but in danger once you reach your destination, with all the abhorrent, raging alcoholics that can't handle their drink in the UK. The most violet in the world, yes I'd rather be in Thailand.

• Like 1

Its not just Thailand.

I read an article that says 7 have died in the UK since Christmas Eve.

Official figures for just yesterday in Thailand stand at 32.

I reckon if you have millions screaming around on mopeds on main roads in the UK the road toll would also be a lot higher there. Would like to see breakdown of statistics - passenger car accidents in both countries, for example. Around 90% of the accidents in Thailand involve bikes (mostly) and pickup trucks.

More likely 90% of the accidents are a result of people driving motor vehicles in the same manner that they "learned " to ride their motorcycles !

Ie ...no rules apply .

• Like 2

you may be safer on the roads in the UK, but in danger once you reach your destination, with all the abhorrent, raging alcoholics that can't handle their drink in the UK. The most violet in the world, yes I'd rather be in Thailand.

complete nonsense....of Course you would never see this in Australia?, can you also explain what this has to do with Drunk Thais Driving over the Holiday period??? blink.png

Edited by terryp

Its not just Thailand.

I reckon if you have millions screaming around on mopeds on main roads in the UK the road toll would also be a lot higher there. Would like to see breakdown of statistics - passenger car accidents in both countries, for example. Around 90% of the accidents in Thailand involve bikes (mostly) and pickup trucks.

Thank you for the additional info. Somehow I do not think that those posting the statistics would be fair enough to point this out regardless of whether they were aware of it.

I am left wondering.

Is there a league table.

Road deaths per Capita,per Annum.

If so would suggest,Thailand would be mid division.

Also do deaths, include in hospital,on route to hospital,or only roadside.

It's easy to massage the stats.

It's also just the lack of being logical while driving...many accidents could be avoided if people would keep at least 30 meters between each other.

Yesterday I had a few vans and buses drive at 5 meters from me...and I was going 110 km/h...

When buses or trucks sit on my bumper in heavy traffic I break a little, then speed up to make some room, if they continue to sit dangerously close I wait for a hill and slow to a complete stop to give them a few minutes to think about how to keep safe on the roads.

It's also just the lack of being logical while driving...many accidents could be avoided if people would keep at least 30 meters between each other.

Yesterday I had a few vans and buses drive at 5 meters from me...and I was going 110 km/h...

When buses or trucks sit on my bumper in heavy traffic I break a little, then speed up to make some room, if they continue to sit dangerously close I wait for a hill and slow to a complete stop to give them a few minutes to think about how to keep safe on the roads.

And you think that helps them to calm down ...I'd wager it has the opposite effect !

MCOT

Road accidents kill 33 people. injure 322 others on Thursday December 27

Share on facebookShare on printShare on twitterShare on googleMore Sharing Services3

By Digital Media | 28 ธ.ค. 2555 10:17 | 25 views | View Comment

Road accidents kill 33 people. injure 322 others on Thursday December 27 - first of so-called Seven Dangerous Days: Road Safety Centre

nothing better to do?????....some of you people really should get a REAL Life here....Cheers!!!

Its not just Thailand.

So.. which roads would you rather be driving on.. ''UK' or ''Thailand'' ...

I know where i would feel safer... but thats me....

Totally agree with you its violent and i dont miss that part for sure..

If you mean that you slow down and stop, forcing them to stop behind you, then you're just as bad as the tailgaters. Are you some kind of self-appointed law enforcement officer? What a moron.

Here is a novel idea start making people wear seatbelts.

Yes there should be a fine for people that are drinking and driving. The fine should be we take your car for 24 hours instead of a nose check I would suggest that they get peoplewith breathalyzer training and use the road side test.

i knowmany Thais that sit and drink then get on the bikes to go home.

That's the way it is in Canada, you drink and drive you will lose your viehicle for at least 24 hours and a heafty fine. The higher the reading the bigger the fine and the length of time you are without it. It is all about enforcement which is an absoulute joke here in the land of smiles....wai2.gif

• Like 1

Sometimes to me it looks like a competition about counting ... let's count here and there - it's just for statistics.

It would be much better to spand money on repairing the lights along the streets, the roads itself and strict controls of vehicles without any lights - then the positive results will follow!

Gently pulling on the handbrake usually wakes them up:-)

If you really do that then you're as big an idiot as they are. Have you no concern for your own safety as well as any passengers you may have? What is needed is fewer clowns on the road not more.

An attempted tongue in cheek reply that went totally over your head eh Nick?

• Like 1

Its not just Thailand.

Judging by the tailgating at 90kmh, overtaking on double lines, cutting off a driver when the overtaker is obviously not going to make it in time, one can only assume that these guys are half stoned/drunk.

Is there any serious checking of blood alcohol levels on drivers BEFORE they're involved in an accident. Assuming of course that a blood alcohol test is taken following a serious accident.

Other countries have experienced a drastic reduction in serious accidents since breath testing started up.

"Here is a novel idea start making people wear seatbelts."

Last time I checked there were no seatbelts on the bed of a Hilux or D-Max

...and one (1) air bag in the new Suzuki Swift compared to seven (7) in non-ASEAN countries.

Its not just Thailand.

Yes, UK in 2011 approx 2,000 road deaths and population of 62,641,000, compared to around 12,000 in Thailand with a population of 69,518,555. Huge difference.

12000/365 = 32.87. Seems 33 is about average for the daily carnage.

• Like 1

I was nearly a statistic christmas evening. Coming slowly out from a petrol station, i looked right then left then right again, it was dark and no lights coming. Just about to pull out when i heard a noisey motorbike go into top gear. A young guy flew across my bows, no lights whatsoever.